How much did you luv these films!?

This list puts them among the 7 most intense thrillers in history

What d'you think!?

x

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: 7 Top Edge of your Seat Thrillers
on Jul 14, 2011 at 8:12:08 pm

Kind of an odd list... I mean, I love the Shining and No Country for Old Men, and the Game is good (but not essential). But The Village? I wouldn't even say that was Shamalyananaanlnananyan's most thrilling film. And a lack of any Hitchcock, or even something like Jaws makes me gawk at this list a little bit... But at least there's seemingly valid explanations as to why the person who made it feels they way they do about them..

Can't argue with No Country for Old Men, though. That was entirely consisting of white-knuckle thrills and suspense scene after scene. With no music!

And just off the top of my head, since The Game was brought up (directed by David Fincher), I would say Se7en is one of the most edge of your seat thrillers of the last 20 years. Much more so than The Game, in my opinion.

Also (sorry to keep going on with the critique here!), I love The Shining, one of my personal favorites and have seen it at least 10 times, but it's too slow paced to qualify as edge of your seat in my eyes. I mean, the end chaos is thrilling for sure, but the 2 hours before it relies on everything being normal for the most part for long streches, then BOOM - RANDOM INSANITY. But it's all so spaced apart. The pacing is part of its "charm" though.

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Jul 15, 2011 at 4:05:01 pm

Yea, The Village was a surprise, and I loved the Dark Knight, but didn't really see it as a thriller as much as maybe action/adventure. Also very surprised to see a Thriller list without Hitchcock on it (No Psyco or North by Northwest?). Also, for my money, I gotta put Fritz Lang's "M" on there. Scott, "Seven" would have been a good addition too.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 15, 2011 at 5:18:45 pm

I loved North by Northwest. I liked the Village, I think it has the worst slow mo scene ever. I almost laughed in the theater when that happened.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jul 18, 2011 at 11:32:52 pm

I'm not sure that I'd classify many of the movies on this list as thrillers.

The Shining is almost elegaic, which is what makes it so powerful to me. It was a man unhinging as slowly as ice. Coming through the door with an ax is maybe the least interesting part of it to me.

Loved The Village, but it wasn't really a thriller until the last reel. (I loved the reveal, btw...but yes, silly and unneeded slo-mo.)

Confession: no use for most Hitchock, ESPECIALLY North by Northwest. (I know, I know.) But I did find myself on the edge of my seat for Rear Window.

The most tense I've ever been in a movie theater was for The China Syndrome. Most of you kids are too young to remember this, but it really shook the nation to its core. When it said that an area "the size of Pennsylvania" could become permanently uninhabitable, and the accident at Pennsylvania's 12 Mile Island happened 12 days after the movie opened, the studio actually pulled the movie from theaters rather than be seen as exploiting it to sell tickets. In any case, that one scared the sh^t out of me, even if you want to call it flat-out science fiction. Just good old movie making.

I'm going to put All The President's Men in there. Absolutely at the edge of my seat. (And lest I be seen solely as a liberal rabble-rouser, I had a poster of Nixon in my room at the time. No kidding.) One of the tensest movies I've ever seen, and it was just people talking.

That was my favorite thing about Apollo 13 too. Smart people, quietly talking, and yikes! I was sweating bullets.

Another true confession: Dark Knight movies = zzzzzz. But wow, Heath Ledger was breathtaking.

The Game? Hey, I'd put Fatal Attraction on the list instead of that one. Definitely tense.

I may have come at this in the wrong order, but I wasn't that big a fan of Silence of the Lambs. Check out Michael Mann's Manhunter. Very stylized of course, and William Peterson in a very, very early role. Joan Allen as the blind woman.

My problem with the way Anthony Hopkins played Lecter in Silence is that he was a total buffoon. I found him hilarious, and I NEVER would have told him jack-farking-shoes about myself. I'd have laughed in his face. Who on earth would have let him treat them for mental health issues? There was no sense whatever of how he got from "trusted mental health professional" to "hilarious serial killer." I wouldn't trust that clown to deliver my pizza.

"I ate his liver with fava beans and a fine key-yanti." I'd have laughed at him, no kidding. I DID laugh at him.

So yeah, he was nuts, but the idea of the element of surprise with him is nonsense. With the way he was chewing that scenery, of COURSE he's going to try and bite you.

Brian Cox in Manhunter completely blew me away because he was so bland. His flat-eyed stare would have been comforting to many people looking for calm in their mental storms. But him so quietly sneaking in the tools for his escape, and suddenly exploding - THAT was scary because you'd look at the guy and say, "Riiiiiight. Dude's a little intense, but about as scary as a potted petunia."

Yes, Silence won 5 Oscars. Whatever. I'm with Siskel on this one, who gave it a thumbs down. Check Manhunter.

Gotta agree with No Country for Old Men, though. That thing was insane. One of the century's best.

And while Inglorious Basterds - also one of the century's best for my money - had too much fun to be called an edge of your seat thriller, I've rarely been more tense in a movie than when Chris Weitz was on screen, just talking. Glass of milk in one scene. A pastry with whipped cream in another. Smiling. Yikes!

Thanks for posting the list! My favorite thing about lists is not agreeing with them. :-) Fun conversation.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]