FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sherwood Schwartz passes at 94

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Wilson
Sherwood Schwartz passes at 94
on Jul 13, 2011 at 1:59:20 am

Creating either of these gets you in the Hall of Fame, but creating BOTH The Brady Bunch and Gilligan's Island gets your own wing.

There are some amazing stories here about how hard it was to sell these shows. Three tries at all three networks for the Brady Bunch, and when the head of programming at CBS said that it would take too long to explain every week what those people were doing on the island, he promised that he'd take care of it in the theme song.

You might have to be at least in your very, very late 40s or early 50s to remember how big a deal these shows were at the time.

And yes, Bobby Brady and I are both 51 this year.

I had to look this up to be sure I was remembering right, and indeed, the first season of Gilligan in 1967 was filmed in black and white, but DANG, you could still tell that Ginger's hair was red.

(Definitely a Mary Ann guy, though. I met Dawn Wells once, brought her on my TV show. She took great pride in Mary Ann regularly kicking Ginger's ass in the "which one would you rather" contests.)

Anyway, this is a great look back.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Sherwood Schwartz passes at 94
on Jul 13, 2011 at 2:18:17 pm

I watched every episode of The Brady Bunch when I was a kid (they used to play it nightly on Nick@Nite in the late 80s/early 90s), definitely have some fond memories of that show. Never got into Gilligan's Island, but am definitely familiar with it. I was always a Mrs. Howell man, though. (haha, just kidding).

Admittedly I don't know much about Sherwood Schwartz as a person, but he seemed like a class act. At least he got to do all he did, AND live to 94.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 13, 2011 at 2:27:50 pm

During summer vacation they always played the Brady Bunch before the Price is right and that was the only TV to watch that was not a soap opera. Yes, thats right, I didn't know anyone with cable and no one owned movies because Holly wood movies on VHS tapes costs a lot of money. So you would have a few blank VHS tapes that you would record movies off of TV such as Star Wars and then watch Star Wars over and over again. Sorry to get side tracked. Brady Bunch was a great show. I've seen a couple Gilligan's Island episodes and they made me laugh. Good stuff.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jul 13, 2011 at 3:10:35 pm

In grade school, after school, we would watch Gilligan, Brady and The Beav on our 10" black and white tv in the kitchen.

Summers at Grandma's were spent watching Albany Channel 11 - The Munsters, Flipper, Andy Griffith (this was late 70's early 80's).

All of these shows had such a magical quality to them that will never be seen again on television.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 13, 2011 at 6:52:59 pm

[Mike]
All of these shows had such a magical quality to them that will never be seen again on television.

I agree!

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Burt Hazard
on Jul 14, 2011 at 1:29:19 am

Yeah, definitely his stuff is like peering into a TV time capsule; to this day I still think Bob Denver is (alive) and a young man! But actually the 1st season of GILLIGAN started in 1964. And I also have met Dawn Wells (at a convention, being a real fanboy!).

Actually the real scary part is I have the whole series of GILLIGAN on DVD...as well as stuff like LAND OF THE LOST (the TV series, not the movie abomination which luckily I haven't seen).

The most fitting tribute is of course people have kept enjoying Sherwood's TV shows long after most of the critics and Newton Minows have faded into oblivion.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 14, 2011 at 2:58:32 pm

They profiles Shewood on NPR's "Fresh Air" yesterday. He composed a different, calypso-flovored there for the prototype theme song, and they played a bit. The documentary E True Hollywood Story on both these shows is full of awesome details. I got to see clips of the the original pilot, before Ginger and Mary Ann were characters. Weird.

There was a segment in the doc about Tina Louise, who it was said, took onthe show because she felt it was going to be all about her character, adn she was upset. Sherwood supposedly pointed out to her that the name of the show was "Gilligan's Island", not "Ginger's Island". (Oh, and you had better not google that alternate title from work)

But I wanted to point out that Sherwood tried many times to do a definitive "rescue" movie, and it bombed every time; none of the Gilligan movies after the series were worth a single coconut. Between bad scripts and cast re-jiggering, they were all just awful. Apparently Shwartz was trying one more time, before he died; the plot was that some of the children of the original castaways would marry and go on a trip to try and re-discover the Island. They wind up getting stuck as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]