FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cars 2

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
Cars 2
on Jul 6, 2011 at 2:12:33 pm

It’s less about the racing than it is about dealing with a moron for a friend.

That came across to me as the underlying theme of Cars 2. Even amidst a pretty well done espionage story, the whole point of the movie is about respecting your friends even if they are horribly irritating. It’s basically said as bluntly as possible that it’s OK to be a loud redneck in inappropriate situations, and it’s OTHER people who should change. To be honest though, I’m not sure I agree. If I had a friend who was as obnoxious as Larry the Cable Guy, I would insist he change his attitude, for his sake.

I get the message, I do. And it’s a nice message, I guess, to a degree. I think the better message would be to act appropriately in different situations, or maybe a message about adapting to new environments…? Nah, I guess they think it’s better to act stupid and annoying and ruin situations because that’s who you are. This is actually kind of a bad message actually.

Whatever, message aside, the spy plot of the film was actually really well done. Lots of good action and pretty great computer animation. It wasn’t mind-blowing animation, but it’s nothing you could call bad. The scenery and design were fantastic. There was more imagination and creativity than I was expecting.

The voice acting was pretty decent. Especially from some of the new characters. Michael Caine was enjoyable as the main secret agent, and John Turturro was pretty good (as expected) as an arrogant Italian formula one racer. I really don’t like anything about Larry the Cable Guy. I don’t think he’s funny, I think he’s obnoxious, and he makes millions doing a fake redneck schtick (search YouTube for “Larry the Cable Guy before redneck”) that only makes people dumber for enjoying it. However, at least Pixar is able to make his character, Mater, somewhat likable. I do think they put too many redneck jokes in this movie, though. I kind of see Mater as Pixar’s version of Jar-Jar Binks, and in Cars 2 he gets first billing… But I think the rest of the film’s merits balance out the annoyance of hearing Larry’s voice.

I don’t think this was as good as the first Cars, which I thought was underrated. Cars 2 is pretty fun though. Aside from a subplot in a children’s film about alternative fuels, and a sad reminder in the beginning that Paul Newman is dead, this is a pretty good movie for kids. It doesn’t have the emotional impact that like, ANY other Pixar movie has, but again, it’s fun and fast paced. The little kids in the theater were laughing hysterically throughout, so that’s probably the most important selling point of a movie like Cars 2.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lg5hj2c5Nkk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="allowfullscreen"></iframe>

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Cars 2
on Jul 6, 2011 at 2:22:42 pm

[Scott]
It’s basically said as bluntly as possible that it’s OK to be a loud redneck in inappropriate situations, and it’s OTHER people who should change

That's to bad.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 8, 2011 at 1:28:45 pm

I have yet to see the film, but it is important to my enjoyment of a film that it's world hew to some kind of consistency in it's "world of the film", or I can't easily suspend disbelief to enjoy the story.

So I'm very curious about the thinking that went into adding a car Pope, who himself rides around in a Popemobile. Aside from the Droste'-like circularity of that arrangement, the implications for the world of the movie are staggering. A Catholic Car Pope implies a car Jesus exists in this Pixar world at some point. And we can see an entire car-oriented world that has built structures, buildings, etc. that are really for and by Humans, but adapted for use by cars. Though the cars have no apparent arms or fingers to manipulate tools. It seems like their world is completely finished and they only have to enjoy it.

Cars would not need to create a lot of the specific structures and things seen in the film. The cars themselves have doors and seats and things that are only necesary if there are human drivers and passengers, but we never see a single human, so where are they, what happaneed to them? So, who makes the cars, and why? Are the cars made by God, and what does a car God look like? Who does the car Pope and his church menmbers pray to?

Never mind the redneck tow truck: Pixar has created an epistemological conundrum here that boggles the mind. How is a parent supposed to answer the kid's questions about a car Pope?!?!?!?!

No, my friends don't like watching movies with me, why do you ask?

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jul 8, 2011 at 2:11:41 pm

As long as there are absolutely zero follow-up questions: magnets.

Everything makes sense in the Cars universe because of magnets.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jul 8, 2011 at 2:22:16 pm

Mark, Disney is all about the conundrums. Why is Goofy anthropomorphized, and Pluto a dog? Why is Donald the only one without pants?

Things are much neater in the Warner's universe. Nobody wears pants, except for Elmer, and he's an idiot.

I agree, Scott, the first Cars is underrated. Lasseter is especially fond of it because his father was a car dealer, and his own first job was in the parts department. I think it was also among the best-looking Pixar movies. Maybe even the best.

Did you see it in stereo?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 8, 2011 at 2:42:20 pm

[Mark]
The cars themselves have doors and seats and things that are only necesary if there are human drivers and passengers, but we never see a single human, so where are they, what happaneed to them?

I think Morpheus did a great job of explaining how machines took over earth. "We don't know who struck first, us or them. But we do know it was us that scorched the sky. At the time, they were dependent on solar power. It was believed they would be unable to survive without an energy source as abundant as the sun."

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 8, 2011 at 3:49:47 pm

"Woah"

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 8, 2011 at 3:56:58 pm

Ha Ha, that's great.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 25, 2011 at 6:54:57 pm

The Toy Story short at the front of the film was great.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]