FORUMS: list search recent posts

Augmented Reality App

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
Augmented Reality App
on Jun 28, 2011 at 6:59:27 pm

I don't understand how this could ever be a fully functional awesome app, at least not without years and years of research. The only way the app would be able to recognize where films take place is by the programmers using GPS or something to designate where certain films scenes take place, IN ADDITION to picking out what films to use for the app. There's no magic way of just having the phone see a location with the camera and know what film scenes takes place where. I'm sure it could be done, for a couple choice films, but I imagine it's a buttload of work to pick out which scenes to use and where for just one single film. And if that film is a Hugh Grant romantic comedy, then why should I care to begin with? This seems like an unrealistic idea, and not worth anyone wasting their time on. And it might be a parody anyway, the website barely has anything on it.

Plus, who wants to make it seem like Hugh Grant is following them around...?

Kind of a neat video nonetheless.

http://www.augmentedrealitycinema.com/index1.html

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: Augmented Reality App
on Jun 28, 2011 at 7:49:19 pm

Interesting concept. Kind of like the Yelp monocle which superimposes restaurants, bars, coffee shops over the live camera view. Not implausible, but perhaps the movie scene application they are depicting would only be of interest to movie fanatics who know the exact locations of a particular scene they like. Aside from movie scenes shot in front of a major landmark, it can be impossible to know exactly where something was shot. And how accurate would you need to be for the GPS to activate the database of movie clips?
One could see this being cool for say the Abbey Road album cover or the Pink Floyd Battersea Power Station album cover but for movie scenes it could be a stretch.

But theoretically, if there is a catalog of on-location scenes you could crowd source the tagging, as you can do when adding your own pictures to Google Maps - I have about a dozen pictures in Google Maps - so it could work - hypothetically

But is this "augmented reality"? I think Yelp is augmented reality. Google Goggles but in real time is augmented reality. Holding up your camera and getting tags about everything that appears in the field of view could be useful and also a bit creepy if it searches the internet.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 28, 2011 at 8:05:02 pm

I get it, but I don't "GET it". The entertainment value of the application, regarding film locations. There are many cool examples on google of guys who have matched up historic photos to live present-day locations, and I find that MUCH more interesting than tracking a couple seconds of a film location.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 28, 2011 at 8:10:40 pm

The commercial really doesn't say a whole lot about what the app can and can't do. I'll be interested to see. But I imagine if you liked a location of a movie there is a web site already created that would tell you where that location is.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jun 28, 2011 at 9:20:19 pm

[Stephen Smith] "I imagine if you liked a location of a movie there is a web site already created that would tell you where that location is."

Yes, the Internet figured this out long long ago:

http://www.tunisia.com/tunisia/travel/star-wars-tunisia

this site has the right idea but a lack of photos

http://www.themoviemap.com/film-locations/featured/

I'm sure the list goes on

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 28, 2011 at 9:43:42 pm

Mike, what the... are saying it was on Earth all along!

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 28, 2011 at 10:22:16 pm

I just looked at the other site, "The Movie Map" and randomly clicked on an icon on the map. I was for the movie Maverick. The icon was in California. It did not include the other states, Utah, Oregon, Washington and Arizona. A matter of fact, there are no icons for the state of Utah which has played a role in some great movies. I think the task of putting an icon on a map for all of the locations of where major movies where filmed would be very difficult. This reminds me of this fun thread: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/267/1130#1194

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]