FORUMS: list search recent posts

INSANE Transformers featurette

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Wilson
INSANE Transformers featurette
on Jun 13, 2011 at 4:29:03 pm

I know you've seen videos of guys who jump off bridges with "wings" suits. Michael Bay has a flock of them jumping off skyscraper roofs in Chicago, with the most amazing shots of them flying between buildings. I've never seen anything like it.

It reminds me of one of my favorite things about his movies - there's obvious CG, but if he can possibly do shots live, he does. Check this out.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: INSANE Transformers featurette
on Jun 13, 2011 at 4:42:58 pm

That is so cool. I watched the trailer a while ago and they showed a little of it and I thought it was fake. Way cool.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jun 13, 2011 at 4:43:10 pm

I saw the youtube clips last Summer of explosions and parachutists but there was nothing about this. I will be at the 1st 3d showing I can get to.
Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jun 13, 2011 at 5:00:45 pm

Yeah, the trailer I saw before Super 8 was ridiculous! (in a good way). Pretty excited to see it now. Still not looking forward to dialogue.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 13, 2011 at 5:41:27 pm

[Scott Roberts] "Still not looking forward to dialogue."

I'm sure that the words to explosions ratio will work about just about right.

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Jun 16, 2011 at 3:58:35 pm

Haha! Great guys.

Return to posts index

Seth Estrada
on Jun 13, 2011 at 5:52:17 pm

I love the way that guy completely recoils when Michael Bay grabs him for the bro-hug. Bay is a notorious hot head; the guy probably thought he was going to get choked or something.

Still very cool. Douglas Spotted Eagle would be proud/very jealous.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jun 14, 2011 at 7:37:26 pm

I am curious as to how Chicago will be established as the location. Obviously they have good tax credits, but I doubt that will be part of the story :)

Mike

Return to posts index

Edoardo L'Astorina
on Jun 24, 2011 at 7:53:37 pm

Beautiful

Bay's a fabulous director & I dig his movies

Anybody else thinks he's a really great filmmaker??

Edoardo x

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jun 24, 2011 at 8:06:55 pm

Great summer tentpole director, not so great at balanced storytelling.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 24, 2011 at 9:19:28 pm

I think he is a really great filmmaker. Who wouldn't want to have The Rock, Armageddon and Transformers on their resume.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 24, 2011 at 10:17:38 pm

Although I didn't like the sequel at all, I think that the first Bad Boys movie was a revelation. I cried like a baby during Armageddon, and think that The Island is sorely underrated - a genuine kick, carried on an ace performance by Ewan McGregor.

Hey, and check his first 3 features, in a row: Bad Boys, The Rock, Armageddon. Has anybody ever started that strong?

I got no problem.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jun 24, 2011 at 10:42:52 pm

[Tim Wilson] "Hey, and check his first 3 features, in a row: Bad Boys, The Rock, Armageddon. Has anybody ever started that strong?"

Immediately coming to mind is Edgar Wright: Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz (which is almost/basically a parody of Bay films) and Scott Pilgrim vs the World.

From a profit standpoint, he's nowhere near Bay's earnings (by a longshot). But from an awesome cult film / critical praise point of view, he beats Bay by a longshot.

Bad Boys - 43% tomatometer
Shaun of the Dead - 91% tomatometer

Armageddon - 40% tomatometer
Hot Fuzz - 91% tomatometer

Transformers - 57% tomatometer
Scott Pilgrim - 81% tomatometer

Of course, critical appraisal isn't much I suppose (or anything, I think Jaws 4 is awesome), and I'm sure fans are a plenty for Bay's stuff.

But if I had to compare the two's first three features, I wouldn't just say:

Edgar Wright > Michael Bay

I'd say:

Edgar Wright >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Michael Bay

But that's just my opinion. And it's basically comparing apples to oranges. Or explosions to zombies.

Plus I want to see Transformers 3 pretty bad, so I'll just shut up now! :) Happy Friday!

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 25, 2011 at 3:27:57 pm

Hot Fuzz is an all-time favorite, Scott Pilgrim is an all-time least favorite, but your point is taken.

I also looked at Spielberg. If you spot him Firelight (which in the context of this exercise you most definitely should not), you're left with Sugarland (one of my favorites of his), Jaws (remarkably, sorely underrated in my book), and Close Encounters.

There were also some TV jobs in there, though, so if you count those too....which I think you should...Sugarland comes in at feature #5.

Right there in the discussion, if we spot Cameron Piranha Part Two: The Spawning, we've got Terminator, Aliens, and The Abyss, all of which he also wrote either the story, the script, or both. That I feel comfortable saying NOBODY beats.

The Terminator 100% Fresh
Aliens 100% Fresh
The Abyss 88% Fresh
For grins, let's throw in #4: Terminator 2, 98% Fresh.

Nobody whose name I could think of beats that either. Not Scorcese (69, 45, 98), Spielberg (92, 98, 95). I checked some others, like Aronofsky, Coppolla, Bogdonovich (in the running for best career 3-fer with Last Picture Show, What's Up Doc and Paper Moon), Beatty (Heaven Can Wait --which got the Big Five Oscar noms -- and Reds as a debut 2-fer...followed by, uhm, Dick Tracy), Lynch (Eraserhead, Elephant Man and Dune are at least....interesting), Eastwood (hit his stride in his late 60s :-) ), Lean (career trifecta, though: Kwai, Lawrence, Zhivago), Wilder, Forman, Coens, Stone, etc. - none come close to Cameron on the Tomatometer, and I didn't enjoy any of their first 3 as much as I did Bay's.

(There are other interesting 3-fers, btw, like Penn (Bonnie & Clyde, Alice's Restaurant, Little Big Man), Stone (Salvador, Platoon, Wall St.), Pollock (Absence of Malice, Tootsie, Out of Africa)...but out of the gate? Not so much.

So I'm obviously gonna have to modify what I said about Bay, but I'm not stepping off the "I don't have a problem" statement either. I'm as much a film school snob as anyone who went to film school, but I like those first three pictures a lot, and not as "guilty" pleasures.

Return to posts index

Edoardo L'Astorina
on Jun 26, 2011 at 10:11:47 pm

Nice 3-fer idea!

James Cameron rocks - I watched Avatar again today & I was amazed

But what about Quentin Tarantino? Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown - that's since debut

M. Night Shyamalan? The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable - masterpiece if you ask me, Signs

What do you think??

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 27, 2011 at 2:09:34 pm

[Tim]
Scott Pilgrim is an all-time least favorite

I love Scott Pilgrim...but I imagine if everyone liked the same movies this world would be a boring place and I wouldn't be able to get movie tickets because the film I want to see would always be sold out.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]