FORUMS: list search recent posts

What movie(s) really touched your life, and why?

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Lindeboom
What movie(s) really touched your life, and why?
on Apr 12, 2009 at 3:24:15 am

One of my favorite films is the Lawrence Kasdan directed "Grand Canyon," written by Lawrence Kasdan (along with his wife, Meg).

Why? (Especially when many critics blasted it. But who cares what the critics say, I rarely agree with most of them.)

The movie addresses the subject of racism without all of the trite pandering stereotypical machinations that compromise many of the films that address this subject.

Kasdan, on the other hand, addresses the subject with the strengths and failures of the characters with their all too human foibles shown on each side of this "Grand Canyon" divide -- hence, the title.

It is one of the most human stories that I have seen in recent times. The humanity of each of the main characters is both hauntingly real, compromised and yet inspiring.

While many point to Kasdan's work in his popular works of fantasy and science fiction, I always point to his incredibly rich tale of humanity struggling to understand and accept itself, that is found in Grand Canyon. In the end, they reach across the abyss as best as they can and add a rich degree of life and humanity to each others families.

A beautiful piece of work and one you shouldn't miss.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Creativity is a type of learning process where the teacher and pupil are located in the same individual.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
- Antoine de Saint Exupéry

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: What movie(s) really touched your life, and why?
on Apr 15, 2009 at 5:17:20 pm

While it may seem too obvious, that a guy born in the early 70's would cite a Star Wars film as life changing, The Empire Strikes Back has a special role to play in my upbringing.

Truth be told, it was the first Star Wars movie I saw. However back in the early 80's before the advent of home video, they brought Star Wars back to theaters after Empire was released, just to refresh our memories and presumably to help finance Jedi.

As I watched Empire, however, through all phases of my life, it has grown on me. The best parts of the Star Wars films, in my opinion, are the moments of humans being humans, surrounded by fantasy. For example, the make out scene in the technical bay of the Millenium Falcon or the climactic reveal between Vader and Luke on the Cloud City gantry. These were moments of emotion that could have been in a Western or a NY apartment for that matter.

Am I giving too much weight and importance to moments in a toy commercial? I don't think so. The breakfast scene in Star Wars featuring the Blue Milk and the knowing looks between Owen and Beru was another great moment. Foreshadowing events of 5 more films in a 1 second facial expression is good directing. Say what you will about George Lucas' predilection for furry costumes and bad dialogue, this was a moment of brilliance.

Getting back to Empire, when I was in 7th grade Bar-Mitzah class, an experience akin to doing Algebra (oddly, the same year I was forced to take pre-Algebra), a guest speaker used the Empire Strikes Back as a teaching tool. The guy used Luke's training to be a Jedi as a corollary to training to have a Bar-Mitzvah - becoming a man. I won't get into details, nor do I remember them, but the boy learning the ways of the Force and facing his demons really made the religious training of my own take on new meaning.

Since that experience, and quite a successful recitation of the Haftorah of Korach I might add, I have seen this film as an extension of my very being.

Ok, that was pretty deep even for Creative COW, but you asked.

Well, my wife just sent me a text message. It reads, "Get me some new library books Obi-Mike Coheni - you're my only hope."

Thanks for reading.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Ramona Howard
on Apr 18, 2009 at 1:43:57 am

I think every movie we see touches our life in one way or another. Stupid, witty humor does it for me.....

I think pretty much anything Mel Brooks has done will live on in my top picks. One can never pass up an opportunity to lay down one of his lines when the opportunity presents itself :)

Now, I don't have to tell you good folks, what has been happening here in our beloved little town: sheriff murdered, crops burned, stores looted, people stampeded, and cattle raped.

Cheers,
Ramona

Play hard today, it may be raining tomorrow!

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Apr 18, 2009 at 2:03:33 am

[Ramona Howard] "I think pretty much anything Mel Brooks has done will live on in my top picks. One can never pass up an opportunity to lay down one of his lines when the opportunity presents itself"

How true. One of my favorite lines off the top of my head is in Spaceballs where he says that he's looking forward to "...Spaceballs 2, the Search for More Money!"

And just the other day, Tim Wilson and I were chatting and I needed to introduce him to something I was working on and I used the classic Cleavon Little line from Blazing Saddles: "Let me whip this out on you."

He instantly started laughing as we both knew right where the line came from.

When it came to comedy, Mel Brooks was indeed one of the greatest of all time.

Ron Lindeboom

...and don't even get me started on Frau Blucher.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Apr 18, 2009 at 11:32:07 pm

Ron - back in the late 90's a surgeon I know used a clip from Young Frankenstein as an ice breaker before all of his lectures. "Abby Something."
"Abby Normal."
"Abby normal...abnormal? Are you telling me we put an abnormal brain in a...you know the rest.
I think we could have a whole forum for fave movie quotes

Return to posts index

Ramona Howard
on Apr 19, 2009 at 1:04:11 am

Hey I feel like I got that brain on some days....Absolute great flick!

Ramona

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 19, 2009 at 1:22:44 am

[Mike Cohen] "I think we could have a whole forum for fave movie quotes"

Just in case we don't end up with a separate forum, here are some of my favorites from Mr. Woody Allen...

Allen: What are you doing Saturday night?
Woman: Committing suicide.
Allen: What about Friday night?

- Play It Again, Sam (1972)

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Chris Poisson
on Apr 19, 2009 at 2:33:57 pm

Movies that touched my life, which is different from favorite movies:

Ben Hur
American Graffitti
Easy Rider
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Kite Runner

All of these movies in their time and even now touched me in some personal way. They all reflected some kind of emotional situation going on in my life at the time. Strange list, huh?

Have a wonderful day.

Return to posts index

Ramona Howard
on Apr 19, 2009 at 2:46:46 pm

I have to say a recent one that touched my life is Marley and Me. Both my husband and I balled at the end of this one. A good cry is another thing I like from a movie.....

We have had the experience of having to put a dog down, and it was way to realistic to hold back the tears. We have a Marley, his name is Duncun, which we really should have named Houndini. This dog has chewed thru chain link (yup, several times), eaten thru wood fencing, eaten several doors, opens doors, scaled fences, squeezed thru holes the size of a grapefruit (he is a large dog), takes himself for regular walks and loves tri-tip, hot off the barbeque (damn dog).

He has just been a royal pain in the butt, but we love him to death. He is the sweetest, coolest dog we have had, which is probably what has saved his butt from the pound. He dives to the bottom of our pool and loves the lake and even rides the inter-tube (alone). Smart, too smart for a dog.

http://www.spectsoft.com/RaveManual-Company-Duncun.html

I am sure I am not alone with the pet from hell experience and it was nice to see someone make humor of it. Great book, very entertaining movie.

Cheers,
Ramona

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Apr 20, 2009 at 2:20:57 am

[Ramona Howard] " Both my husband and I balled at the end of this one. "

Ummm, Ramona... I think the word you're looking for here is "bawled."

But I HOPE I'M WRONG!!!!!

Bob C

Return to posts index

Ramona Howard
on Apr 20, 2009 at 2:34:22 am

That would be correct. whoops.

Cheers,
Ramona

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Apr 20, 2009 at 3:38:49 am

I have to admit, ET makes me cry every time. Spielberg's materpiece, IMHO, aside from Private Ryan.
I also cried at the end of War of the Worlds when I realized I wasn't getting my $8.50 back.

Return to posts index

Ramona Howard
on Apr 20, 2009 at 5:00:32 am

We could go on for days of bad movies that should have paid us to watch them :)

The Brady Bunch Movie

(sorry Bernie if your lurking)

Cheers,
Ramona

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 20, 2009 at 3:49:50 am

I'm really shocked Ramona, balling after my dog died was the last thing on my mind.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Ramona Howard
on Apr 20, 2009 at 4:50:44 am

Yes, that does sound a bit x-rated doesn't it......

Glad it at least sounded funny, making up for my terrible grammer :)
(grammar)

Cheers,
Ramona

Return to posts index

Jake Williams
on Apr 22, 2009 at 4:07:56 pm

All balling aside (does one side make you a democrat and the other a republican?); Expanding on what everyone was saying about movies that strike a chord with our lives... One that really did for me was The Royal Tenenbaums. I liked the redemption themes as well as the neurotic characters.

Royal (Gene Hackman) finally wins over Chas(Ben Stiller) by rescuing his grandsons from death just like Darth Vader rescues Luke from the emperor talk about high drama. Throw in the subplots about forbidden love, drug abuse, mixed with generally neurotic personality traits and its like a family reunion for a group of characters from some of the greatest comedies ever made. The drunken/drugged out cowboy like Gene Wilder in Blazing saddles played by Luke Wilson, Buckley the dog with only slightly less personality than Marley, Ethelene (Anjelica Huston) the aging socialite.

This movie reminded me of my relationship with my father. Less traumatic than getting my hand cut off but hilarious to anyone watching. I just wish that Cameron Diaz was my adopted sister.

Bon Voyage
Jake Williams
Windows XP
Premiere CS4

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]