FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anti-Texting Video

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
Anti-Texting Video
on Jun 7, 2011 at 12:14:39 am

Well, this is awesome. The Alamo Drafthouse movie theater in Texas (which is apparently one of those great theaters everyone should go to, I definitely would, if for some odd reason I wanted to vacation in Texas) has created this short video that they have recently started playing in front of their R-rated films. Basically the back-story is that at the Alamo, they actually kick people out for texting or using their phones during the movie, and an angry woman who got kicked out called them back to complain. And they used her voicemail in a video to point out the low intelligence of the texter.

I listened to the uncensored one, and it was pretty good. But this is the censored one:

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JVz-fO7kxcQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="allowfullscreen"></iframe>

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Anti-Texting Video
on Jun 7, 2011 at 12:48:52 am

I want to go to that theater! The bright little light can be more distracting then someone talking on their phone. I think it is funny that she said they ripped her off. She ripped her self off by not enjoying the movie to the fullest because she was paying attention to what her friend was texting her instead of the movie.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 7, 2011 at 1:19:15 am

Tim League runs the joint, and he's aces. He wrote a very politely titled article, "Agreeing and Disagreeing with Roger Ebert on Dim Projection" -- which in fact almost completely disagreed with him.

This is the thing that started with Ty Burr's report in the Boston Globe, and Tim's reply to both is, hey, the Sony 4K is the best projector out there, period, and Sony RealD 3D is the best there is. The problems you talk about aren't endemic to either Sony or RealD 3D. They're easily addressed by professional projectionists....

....like the ones right here at the Alamo.

That said, he acknowledges that it takes 1.5 hours to swap the lenses. Until Sony does what they need to do to fix this thing, the folks at AD just plan accordingly. Great article.

Bottom line on the cinema: it's in Texas. San Antonio is one of the very best parts of it, and the surrounding countryside (known as The Hill Country) is some of the prettiest in the US.

But dude, it's in Texas. I had to live there. You don't need to visit.

In case of emergency, though, you now know where to make a beeline.

Hey, and while it's his prerogative to publicly mock someone by playing a voicemail left in private, not cool to purposely misspell her words in the titles. We got the point. Funny is funny, but that's kinda mean. I expect better from the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, even if it IS in Texas.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 7, 2011 at 4:11:59 am

[Tim Wilson] "Hey, and while it's his prerogative to publicly mock someone by playing a voicemail left in private, not cool to purposely misspell her words in the titles"

I have to disagree.
I wouldn't say the titles are misspelled.
They are phonetically follow what she says exactly. Phooone, Magnited, THE-A-TER. Just like the upper case 'shouting' and italicized 'sarcasm' match how she is talking. I actually thought it was uber-cool!
If I was writing VO copy, and wanted these words pronounced exactly like she is doing, this is how I would write it.

IMO people that text, talk and do other distracting things at the theater should be more than publicly mocked. If you ask me, that's getting off easy.
Keel hauling comes to mind.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jun 7, 2011 at 1:12:26 pm

I'd like to visit this Magnited States - anyone know where it is?

The conversation continues on the movie the-a-ter's blog:
http://cf.drafthouse.com/she_texted_we_kicked_her_out2.html

I have a low tolerance for annoyances at muuvee the-a-ters. There was a guy behind me at X-Men last week who was making jokes after each trailer - his seat mate was not responding, and they guy was speaking loud enough that perhaps he was hoping for a chuckle from another patron. However this being central CT, the theater was mostly empty. I was tempted top turn around and tell the guy to shut his trap, but this being central CT he was probably carrying a concealed weapon. Best to grin and bear it.

Mike

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 7, 2011 at 2:24:54 pm

I blame MST3K for some of that:-)

From what I know of the Alamo, they strive to be something quite apart from the normal movie place, a place for educated, elite cineaste types, and so this dolt-mocking video speaks directly to their core audience and the core audience identifies with it and probably hoots, stomps, claps, and cheers for it. It focuses and defines the group dynamic of their audiences and reinforces order by applying extreme peer pressure to conform to a higher behavioral standard.

If they didn't take such harsh steps, and allowed rude, misbehaving and obstreperous bumpkins to ruin the experience they've tried so hard to deliver and brand, the theater would lose much more business.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 7, 2011 at 2:39:43 pm

I was wondering if that was a real call or if they just made it up for the commercial. After reading the blog post you posted I guess it was real.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jun 7, 2011 at 3:33:13 pm

Yeah, that stupidity seemed way too natural for me to think it was fake. I'm only hoping for her sake she had a few drinks before that call. That *might* save her some face. But she's probably a jerk sober anyway if she would call the theater like that.

I'm telling ya, there's got to be some deeply rooted psychological problems with these people who are loud and/or distracting and don't give a crap about anyone else around them. Talking/texting in theaters, routinely slamming doors nonchalantly, talking loudly on their phones on the Metra when everyone else is trying to read things... These people are nuts! They're narcissists, they think the world revolves around them.

And it really shows their true mental disturbances when they get angry when people call them out on it. It's a sticky situation though, because if you don't call them out on it, they will never learn. But if you do call them out, for instance; a person talking loudly in the theater, and I were to simply turn my head and say "c'mon, quiet down, please", they lose their minds! They get bloodlust, haha. It's mind blowing that people can't understand the concept of being quiet and polite for 90 minutes. I agree with Scott Sheriff, these maniacs should be publicly humiliated to the maximum amount. It's the only way they learn! It's not like they are being punished for something they can't help, it's not that hard of a rule set to follow. Just sit down and enjoy the movie!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 7, 2011 at 3:40:20 pm

Scott they are not just narcicists, they are solipsists. Solipsism is where you don't think anything or anyone around you, besides you, is "real", thus it has no meaning or relevance. You are king of your own one-person world, and so you do what you want. You never use your turn signals when driving. You don't wait your turn for anything. You use and abuse resources without regard for what happens when you are done with them. Laws are of no consequence.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 7, 2011 at 3:34:34 pm

Kerasotes used to own most of the theaters in my area. They had an unintentionally humerous trailer played before each showing, pushing the snack bar, but also showing a row of pimply little teenaged ushers and usherettes, snapping to attention in a military-like row with a little hop. Then closeup of a 15-year-old 90-pound usher talking into a walkie-talkie in closeup, along with a voice over saying something about "disruptive patrons will be asked to leave".

You picture this kid, armed only with a walkie-talkie, asking an unruly and now agitated 300-pound six-footer to get out, and just laugh.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 7, 2011 at 4:51:49 pm

There was a great ad that ran before the movie at the Megaplex Theater. It was set back like 80 years ago or something. Anyways, It is kids in a class room passing a chalk board slate with a funny drawing of the teacher. It goes down the row and ends up in a boy's hands when the teacher turns around and sees him laughing. She grabs the slate and the boy and starts spanking him. It is all times out to a piece of music that drives the story really well. Then it cuts to a scene of a grandpa and grandson in a movie theater. The grandpa then says something like, "And that is what happened if you got caught texting when you where my age." Then the boy shuts his phone. With out the music my description can't do it justice but it was super funny. I tried to find it with no luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 7, 2011 at 5:59:14 pm

[Mike Cohen] "I'd like to visit this Magnited States - anyone know where it is?"

Check out the upper left corner of the Denver Sectional chart, and the magnetic disturbance warning. Maybe she was thinking somewhere north of Denver.

'>

"There was a guy behind me at X-Men last week who was making jokes after each trailer -"

I'll let people that talk, fidget, etc, during the trailers slide. No keel hauling for them. Unless they are talking REAL LOUD. All bets are off then.

"I was tempted top turn around and tell the guy to shut his trap, but this being central CT he was probably carrying a concealed weapon."

I'm sure you're just trying to be funny, but that is a very unnecessary, and untrue stereotype.
I know many of my brothers in our craft are not familiar with weapons, except for what you see on the screen. But I think you will find most carry permit holders to be more responsible than the average guy, not less.
I just saw a stat from a neighboring state where the CWP holders accounted for .19% of the crime, vs 5% for the general population. That was for all crime, including driving infractions. Take driving and misdemeanors out of the mix, and they are statistically committing no crimes.

Scott Sheriff
Director

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jun 7, 2011 at 6:50:06 pm

[Scott Sheriff] "Check out the upper left corner of the Denver Sectional chart, and the magnetic disturbance warning. Maybe she was thinking somewhere north of Denver."

I'm going to Denver in a few days - I'll check it out. Incidentally there is an interesting conspiracy theory about the Denver Airport and its large piece of land on the outskirts of town. I'll let the reader do their own googling.

[Scott Sheriff] "I'm sure you're just trying to be funny, but that is a very unnecessary, and untrue stereotype."

Yes, just poking fun at the locals - I'm a local too. I have no issue whatsoever with guns or ammo. A responsible gun owner is no more dangerous than a responsible driver, dentist, video editor, javelin thrower, ex-governator, or horseshoe champion - any device can become a weapon in the wrong hands.

Speaking of texting and driving, there was a sketch during the MTV Movie awards this week in which Tyrese Gibson and a Vin Diesel lookalike were warning viewers to not text while street racing. Good advice.

And now back to our usual movie-related talk on this forum.

Whew, that was a close one.

Mike

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 7, 2011 at 6:57:07 pm

Mike,
I'm glad you included javelin thrower. Other wise this thread would have gotten ugly. If I see someone in the theater with a javelin I think I'll just leave.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom
on Jun 7, 2011 at 9:10:44 pm

[Stephen Smith] "I'm glad you included javelin thrower. Other wise this thread would have gotten ugly. If I see someone in the theater with a javelin I think I'll just leave"

As a full-time javelin thrower, I never attend a movie without my javelin. I believe that discrimination against javelins and the people that wield them -- not to mention discrimination against those that end up impaled upon them -- should be a hate crime. Still, I believe that those texting in theaters, even while wielding a javelin, should be forced to clean the toilets in the local Carl's Jr./Hardee's Restaurant. Wait, that too could be considered a hate crime, couldn't it?

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

"Incompetence has never prevented me from plunging in with enthusiasm."
- Woody Allen

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 7, 2011 at 10:27:05 pm

HaHa, Ron, that's great!

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 7, 2011 at 11:46:06 pm

[Stephen Smith] "If I see someone in the theater with a javelin I think I'll just leave."

I've driven this one to the theater, but it won't fit through the doors, so I just leave it in the parking lot.

It's a '68.

Scott Sheriff
Director

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 7, 2011 at 8:59:53 pm

[Mike Cohen] "Whew, that was a close one."

You're a good sport.

Scott Sheriff
Director

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 8, 2011 at 2:28:16 pm

[Scott]
I've driven this one to the theater, but it won't fit through the doors,

That comment reminds me of the scene in the A-Team movie where they are watching a 3-D movie and slam through the wall. :-)

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Seth Estrada
on Jun 13, 2011 at 6:00:02 pm

A buddy of mine from film school brought me to the Alamo, and it was such a breath of fresh air.

The cast and crew of the film worked hard to create the performance, and if I've paid good money to see their work, I want nothing between me and the critical experience.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 13, 2011 at 6:39:48 pm

I think a no texting/no talking policy is great. This reminded me of a time when I watched a movie and a guys cell phone rang and he answered it. Then I hear, "of nothing much, I'm just watching a movie...how is it, its good." Then you hear all sorts of people in the theater yelling at him. What a jerk, he had to answer his phone for that conversation. I could see why he couldn't wait an hour to talk to his friend.

PS. The guy was not a teenager, he was a grown adult.
PSS. He was not sitting next to me so he was really loud that I could hear what he was saying.
PSSS. URGGGGGG

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 13, 2011 at 8:11:37 pm

My two favorite cell phone stories, one happy, one excruciating.

My wife and I saw a Rick Springfield show in Vegas once. Utterly charming. I think Rick was humbled by how much people enjoyed seeing him. (This was before he mounted any real comeback tours, which may well have been inspired by this Vegas run.)

He invites a woman from the audience to sit on the lip of the stage with him and chat. Her cell phone rings, and Rick is incredulous. "You didn't turn off your cell phone before the show started?" The crowd howled in laughter. Then he said in exasperation, "Well, you might as well answer it." She did, and the question was obviously what are you doing, to which she of course replied "I'm sitting here with Rick Springfield! No, really!"

Rick snaps his fingers. "Gimme the phone." He says to the girl on the other end of the phone, "Hey, it's me, Rick. No, really!" He turns to the crowd in mock disgust. "No, REALLY." Then he holds the phone away from his ear, and holds the mic up so we can hear this 40 or 50 something woman scream into the phone.

This exchange goes on for a few minutes, after which Rick turns back to us and says, "This wasn't planned! No kidding!" Then laughing, "Now turn off your damn phones!"

The other was on Broadway. My wife and I went to see The Crucible, with Liam Neeson and Laura Linney. It was so insanely intense, and very much played to focus on the relationship between them more than the whole witchcraft thing. It has become clear that there's some kind of inappropriate relationship between Liam and the girls, and Laura is confronting him about it in angry tears. Just then the constables roll up to take Laura away in chains, because these same girls have accused her of being a witch.

As they're putting on the chains, Laura is taking the measure of the scene - her horror, sorrow and disgust with Liam, the realization that she may actually DIE for this indiscretion of his....it's crazy, we're all right there, nobody breathing....not a sound....

...until a cell phone that sounded like thunder in the silence, whose ringtone was....

....The Mexican Hat Dance.

I swear. Laura Linney is standing there in tears and chains, and the freaking Mexican Hat Dance. I'm amazed that nobody on stage broke character, and I'm amazed that we didn't take the guy out and stomp him to death. Fortunately for all concerned, the first act ended as Laura was led through the door, but believe me, since that day, I quadruple check my phone. It ain't the same were it accidentally ring during Transformers 3, but still....

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jun 13, 2011 at 9:09:40 pm

I just got off a 3.5 hour flight. There was a school trip of about 50 16 year olds. Aside from taking a flash photo every 8 seconds from wheels up to touchdown they were texting during the descent and approach. Even the flight attendant got on the PA and said "phones in the off position not the hiding it from us position."

On a positive note we were all asked to remain seated to allow two soldiers heading off to war to deplane first. Everyone stayed seated except the girl next to me who was texting. Respect kids.

Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]