FORUMS: list search recent posts

Watching Movies while Out Sick

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Rosberg
Watching Movies while Out Sick
on Jun 17, 2009 at 11:17:01 pm

It always seems like I see lots of movies when I'm out sick. This past Monday was no exception, I was down with sinus issues and I watched 4 movies, all stuff that was on somewhere. Often when I down for the count I'll pull out movies that I've been meaning to get to, but as it turns out, a couple of the movies that were on were things I wanted to see.

They were:

Grosse Point Blank - I love this movie, witty, exciting, twisted. How could anyone but a dark, soulless sociopath leave Minnie Driver on prom night?

Midway - with Charlton Heston, Henry Fonda. I've seen this about a bazillion times, it's not all that great a movie, the whole subplot about the guy in love with the Japanese woman is pointless, but I enjoy watching it nonetheless. I always seem to find a war movie to put on when I'm home sick.

Highlander - I've always wanted to see this, never got around to it. I don't understand why swords have to have sparks coming out of them when they collide... Not the greatest, got me through a late afternoon headache.

On the Waterfront - Now that's what I'm talking about. Marlon Brando and Karl Malden are amazing in this.

So, while at least one of these wouldn't be on a pick list of movies to watch when I have a day to kill, I'm curious as to what others watch when they're stuck at home, just them and the TV. How did you spend a recent day sick at home? Are there films that, however flawed, you just keep coming back to? I always seem to watch a war movie, an old classic, something I've seen a lot (it's like comfort food) and something I've never seen before.

Dave

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Watching Movies while Out Sick
on Jun 18, 2009 at 12:52:47 am

[David Rosberg] "On the Waterfront - Now that's what I'm talking about. Marlon Brando and Karl Malden are amazing in this.
"

Eva Marie Saint was no slouch either -- she won the Academy Award for best supporting actress for ON THE WATERFRONT, her film debut, and she was up against major players, including: Claire Trevor, Nina Foch, Katy Jurado, and Jan Sterling.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 18, 2009 at 3:21:28 pm

Being one of those "Boxer" types that never gets sick and gets over a cold in half a day, If I'm sick enough to stay home, I'm too sick to enjoy TV much; I generally listen to radio or music and read in bed then, or if I'm up to it, I'll do some web surfing. The last writer's strike profoundly changed my media habits and I barely watch ten percent of the volume I did before the strike occurred, the time I used to spend on TV I now spend online or on hobbies or with the family or working on my newly-acquired boat...

But for a "Chicken Soup" movie, if I was to camp out on the couch with some pain killers and stuff, I generally go for comedies or something from my anime' collection, or some TV shows I recorded weeks back but never got around to watching. Maybe something retro, my Gerry Anderson puppet Sci-ci collections, or Space Angel. For Father's Day, I just picked up all eight episodes of Richard Benjamin's "Quark" comedy Sci-fi show. It reminds me of watching the original episodes with my dad, who was only interested in the Barnstable (Doublemint) Twins who played clones of each other in that short-lived series. But we both laughed at some of the horrible jokes on that show. He's gone, but the memories come back.

Return to posts index

Harry Pallenberg
on Jun 18, 2009 at 6:39:29 pm

When I'm home sick I wanna watch something totally mindless, nothing to make my head hurt (more) by having to think about it, or read subtitles... so I'd go with some HUGE Hollywood action pic - like Transformers, Iron Man... that sort of stuff.

Or maybe sequels to films that I would otherwise NEVER watch like the latest Die Hard film... loved the 1st one, watched the second, missed #3 caught up with #4. Saw II, III, IV would be good - the wife does not like 'em.

Thanks,
Harry

Forum Cowmunity Leader: Indie & Doc
Forum Cowmunity Leader: HDV

Dual 1.8 G5 ** 2GB ** 10.5.4 (Office / Photoshop)
Dual 2.0 G5 ** 4GB ** 10.5.4 Kona 2 (FCP 6.0.4 Machine)

http://www.womeninboxes.com
The Documentary Film about Magic's Better Half.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jun 20, 2009 at 6:09:51 am

I cannot help but watch ET when I stumble upon it. Darned if I cry on cue when ET dies and when he hugs Elliot before getting on his ship at the end. Cry = ball my eyes out. It was a well done flick.

During the day HBO tends to run the same few movies over and over. Hence I have watched Transformers dozens of times. I'm a sucker for Michael Bay movies. I think my Armageddon DVD disintegrated from being played so often.

Oddly, I have not yet watched the Star Wars DVDs on my new HDTV. I think those films are such a part of our culture that you need to want to watch them.

Mike COhen

Return to posts index

Chris Poisson
on Jun 27, 2009 at 7:31:55 pm

I just got home Tuesday from 13 days in the hospital, during which time I stayed in 3 different rooms. None of them had DVD players so my movie choices were pretty limited. I had TBS and TNT and USC, plus local affiliates (with commercials) but watching favorite movies in sick times sure does make a difference. So, in the time I've been home we've rented:

The Big Lewbousiky
Garden State
The Birdcage
Glen Garry Glen Ross
Strangers on a Train (Wow!)

Pretty good list huh?

Have a wonderful day.

Return to posts index

Robin Johnson
on Jun 28, 2009 at 4:56:24 am

watch The Diving Bell & the Butterfly

Makes you happy you're only sick for a little while.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Doyle
on Jul 2, 2009 at 8:30:07 pm

My wife and I use to go to the theater at least once a week. Then we had kids. Earlier this year we decided that 2 kids was enough, so after a simple procedure I had a couple of days to sit around the house and do nothing. My wife and kids went to the Grandparents house and I had the opportunity to wade through my almost full DVR.

So 2 days and 12 movies later...

I finally saw Batman Begins... The Dark Knight is now on my DVR waiting. I also caught up on a couple older big hollywood movies, but the majority of the time I spent watching horror movies. My wife won't watch so if I'm left alone that's what I do. None of them are ever really too good, but I think that's what I like about them. I like bad movies. Watching bad movies gives me a little hope. I love it when a movie ends and I think to myself "I could have done that."

I did watch "1408" that weekend. I really enjoyed that as Stephen King adaptations are usually hit or miss. There is no in between.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jul 14, 2009 at 3:01:45 pm

[Harry] When I'm home sick I wanna watch something totally mindless, nothing to make my head hurt (more) by having to think about it, or read subtitles... so I'd go with some HUGE Hollywood action pic - like Transformers, Iron Man... that sort of stuff.

I agree, sometimes I'll pull out all of my favorite action movies and skip through the movie so I only watch the cool actions scenes.

Stephen Smith
Lone Peak Productions

Check out the TV Show Open I did.

Check out my DVD Money Making Graphics & Effects for Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]