FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slightly o/t tv instead of film

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Collins
Slightly o/t tv instead of film
on Jun 9, 2009 at 2:49:06 pm

A co-worker was talking to a 20 year old intern the other day about the changes on the Tonight Show and mentioned Johnny Carson. Her response? "who is that?"

Ouch. One of the most successful talk show hosts in tv history and she had no clue.

Just another reason we need a forum like this.

Doug

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: Slightly o/t tv instead of film
on Jun 9, 2009 at 5:42:20 pm

Kids these days!

Since there is no TV Appreciation forum, I think you are "on-topic."

Occasionally (my wife will tell you this means all the time) I make pop culture references in daily conversations, such as at restaurants, retail stores etc. I am amazed at how the under-25 crowd generally knows very little about pre-2005 events. That is a generalization, since you can in fact encounter brilliant kids, but we have all had a "who's Johnny?" experience.

Mike

Return to posts index

Ramona Howard
on Jun 9, 2009 at 9:54:42 pm

funny story.

Have a friend that was producer of Max Headroom. Sitting a dinner with the kids and the youngest (21) asks who is Bernie, I explained with the typical Max head motion and speaking style and she thought I was on drugs. Of course we all laughed and were amazed that she had no clue of who Max was.

Yet talk music with her and she loves 80 bands and knows them all.

Television that certainly shook things up, Max would be in that category. BTW, it is told this is where 3perf came from.

Cheers,
Ramona

Play hard today, it may be raining tomorrow!

Return to posts index

Chris Poisson
on Jul 22, 2009 at 10:21:43 pm

To me it's kinda funny we (genxers) think our children are missing something by not knowing who Johnny Carson was or anything like that, look in the mirror and see how much you don't know about "Their" world, and tell me who's out of sync. It's just time going by my friends, enjoy it while you can.

Have a wonderful day.

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Jun 10, 2009 at 12:14:42 am

[Doug Collins] "Her response? "who is that?""

To which I hope the co-worker answered "he's the guy who replaced Jack Parr."

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 10, 2009 at 1:58:40 pm

Even fewer know that Steve Allen hosted The Tonight Show back in the day.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jun 10, 2009 at 2:47:03 pm

Speaking of Steve Allen, one of my first gigs after college was working on a fundraising video for a local hospital, hosted by Skitch Henderson and his wife Ruth, local celebrities around here. While many non-kids know Doc Severinsen as the Tonight Show band leader under Carson, Henderson conducted during Steve Allen's run.

Speaking of band leaders of that era, another local in these parts was Leroy Anderson, composer of such classic songs as Sleigh Ride and the Typewriter Song and the staple of late night 60's television, the Syncopated Clock. I used to help his widow compile tv appearances of his music onto VHS tapes for her own recordkeeping, often taking PAL and SECAM tapes from afar that someone sent her and converting this to NTSC. I would suggest that many "kids" know these pieces of music thanks to commercials and movies, but would have no idea of their origins.

Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]