FORUMS: list search recent posts

Super

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Smith
Super
on Apr 19, 2011 at 1:33:29 am

I just watched the trailer for Super:

I think it looks so funny. Has any one heard about this? It is not even rated?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Super
on Apr 19, 2011 at 2:15:26 pm

Yeah, I've been looking forward to this for a while. I read a review of it several months ago when it was just getting released on the festival circuit. It's supposedly a more realistic, uncomfortable version of Kick-Ass. I know it got NY/LA release 2 weeks ago, but has yet to expand to the Midwest, so I haven't had a chance to see it yet. That is weird that it doesn't have a rating yet... That's probably what's keeping it out of the theaters!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 19, 2011 at 2:57:34 pm

It looks awesome, but may get into ratings trouble. The MPAA is a wierd thing.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 28, 2011 at 7:28:11 pm

Well, I got to see this the other night on Showtime, U-Verse had a thanksgiving free viewing weekend. I can see why the distributors thought this movie was kryptonite. It's almost unmarketable to the key demographics of typical works in this genre.

There was not all that much conventional humor in it; if anything, it read a lot like "Naked Lunch meets Kick-Ass". While I liked how the film went against expectations (especially with the side-kick), this was a dark, twisted little film that made you uncomfortable with a lot of the common tropes of superhero stuff. The violence is really graphic in an unblinking sort of sense that makes you uncomfortable, just at the point where you want to be rooting for the hero. Similarly, the sexuality of costumed vigilantes was explored in a kind of ooky way that again, is not going to sell lunchboxes and happy meals... The plot reads like a character study of one unbalanced psychotic meeting another... which it really is... and which a lot of cartoon heroes like BatMan really are.

This is nowhere near as good as "Watchmen", and it wasn't aiming to be. But like "Watchmen", it is a dystopian tragedy that may engage your imagination but then leaves you depressed and uninterested in repeat viewing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]