FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hanna

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
Hanna
on Apr 11, 2011 at 3:31:43 pm

The best coming-of-age government espionage chase film of the year!

I ended up liking this movie more than I thought I would. The plot works as something of a mystery, with bits and pieces getting put together as the film goes on, not knowing the whole truth until near the end (that’s usually how it works, duh!). But I found the ride the film takes you on to unlock the pieces to be incredibly entertaining. Very good action fare without the use of explosions (see, it is possible to do that, Mr. Bay). And you also get the story of the isolated kid discovering the outside world for the first time.

I was most shocked at how stylized the whole film was. This could have been given a mediocre treatment and ended up like a poor-man’s Jason Bourne type movie, but Hanna went out of its way to shake things up in both the editing and sound design. And I thought it worked great. There’s some really cool set pieces at the end of the film too.

Awesome score by The Chemical Brothers. It wasn’t overused, and seemed to only show up when it was most needed, and did nothing but benefit the film. With a mildly recent surge in modern electronic soundtracks lately, I thought The Chemical Brothers’ contribution was not quite as good, but almost as good as the Daft Punk and Trent Reznor scores for Tron Legacy and Social Network, respectively. As in, they just fit absolutely perfect with the film.

Hanna
was also extremely violent, further proving the MPAA officially doesn’t care how much brutal violence is in a film, as long as there is no swearing or nudity. That’s why Hanna is PG-13.

I’d definitely recommend checking out Hanna at some point. It’s nothing mind-blowing and the plot might be considered ultimately empty, but at least it offers a few things you probably haven’t seen before. And Eric Bana is back to being cool for a change. Good for him…

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1zd4zGt13IE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="allowfullscreen"></iframe>

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Hanna
on Apr 11, 2011 at 4:23:30 pm

Oh poop, it has Eric Bana in it. I'm probably goong to hate it.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 26, 2011 at 3:25:27 pm

So wait, does the girl beat up any bad guys with a paint can tied to rope? Or uses sound bites from "Angels with Filthy Souls" to scare people away? :-)

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Apr 26, 2011 at 6:38:09 pm

Haha, I think she'd be able to handle the Wet Bandits. Though, in retrospect, they were kind of indestructible.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 26, 2011 at 6:49:04 pm

I love Home Alone, it was brilliant.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 26, 2011 at 5:12:04 am

Saw "Hanna" today. Summary: Teen girl version of "The Bourne Identity", with a dash of the "Dark Angel" TV show as background. It was well-executed. It really spends a lot of time on conveying a creepy ex-DDR Germany feel in the locations. I liked the long jaunts into foreign languages, where you could choose to see captions or just figure it out. Eric Bananarama was okay in this, mostly because he's barely in it. I agree on the music, sound design, and scoring being strong. The photography and editing were effective. I thought the stuff in the wind tunnel was overdone, and there were some plot holes here and there, however, an attention-grabbing film. The star has quite a camera presence.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]