FORUMS: list search recent posts

Farewell, Sid Lumet

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Scott Roberts
Re: Farewell, Sid Lumet
on Apr 11, 2011 at 3:38:07 pm

Yeah, that bummed me out over the weekend when I heard about his death. Dog Day Afternoon is definitely in my top 10 favorite films.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 11, 2011 at 4:19:12 pm

12 Angry Men still stands up very well. I think that's my favorite of his.

Lumet and Scorsese both tended use the backdrop of NYC as if it was also a character.

Also, New York did something smart in the 70's when the city was a little bit down in its luck, they used incentives to make it easier for film makers to shoot there on a lower budget, and the films of that era re-vitalized people's ideas of all the potential that New York offers. It created a self-reinforcing loop of additiona productions and those productions stimulated the local economy.

Contrast that to Chicago under Richard J. Daley in roughly the same era. Daley hated press he couldn't manage, and went out of his way to make the city unwelcome to film making. His reasons included a deep distrust of the film maker's motivations; Daley was afraid every movie made on Chicago locations would be only about gangs and crime and corruption and similar stereotypes, and that that negative imagery would be a PR nightmare that chased away convention business and big investment. It wasn't until much later, under mayor Jane Byrne, that the city decided to open itself up and take some risks to emulate the success that New York was seeing. That gave Chicago's production comunity a huge boost thru the eighties and into the nineties.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Apr 11, 2011 at 4:39:25 pm

Well, hopefully Chicago doesn't go back to its old ways; we apparently lost The Dark Knight Rises to Pittsburgh, despite how much Christopher Nolan said he loved shooting the other two Batman films in Chicago...

While Nolan says he just found all the locations he needed to in Pitt, this article seems to briefly hint that Illinois taxes may have come into play too. I don't know if there's any real truth to that, though.

http://www.slashfilm.com/dark-knight-rises-shoot-pittsburgh/

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Apr 11, 2011 at 8:23:45 pm

Pittsburgh has many great locations - bridges, tunnels, abandoned steel mills, viaducts along the river, the amusement park from Adventureland, the old railroad station, the funicular, the Monroeville Mall from Dawn of the Dead, the gothic library tower at U Pitt (I could see him skydiving off that), a large river intersection (Bat boat anyone?), Fallingwater nearby (perhaps Bruce's swingin' bachelor pad in the woods with a pole down to the cave below) - you could shoot and edit Pittsburgh into a pretty nice Gotham City.

Now since they shot parts of Dark Knight on IMAX, are they going to shoot this one in 8k? Perhaps this one calls for Cinerama. 12.1 surround? 2D of course.

Mike Cohen

PS - Sorry to hear about Sid Lumet. What a career!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]