FORUMS: list search recent posts

Spielberg

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Cohen
Spielberg
on Mar 21, 2011 at 4:52:48 pm

Over the weekend I saw the first half of "Grown-Ups" the horrible movie with Sandler, Rock, Spade, Deuce Bigelow and Kevin James. I only watched half because I thought my sould might leave my body if I watched the rest.

There was one good line - Adam Sandler's kids are playing video games on a big tv (Sandler plays a wealthy agent or something undefined). One kid says, "Dad, we are at the Spielberg's house and they have a 150" tv. Can we get one?" to which Dad replies, "When you direct ET we can get one."

So this made me look up the man in question to see what he's up to. According to IMDB he has two pictures in post: TinTin (the first of a series - 3D CGI motion capture directed by Spielberg, music by John Williams - likely to be not only awesome but big at the box office - I read that this is the first Spielberg movie cut on Avid - all others were on Moviola - I find that hard to believe, but it just goes to show that editing is in the talent, not the machine) and War Horse (no offense Steve, but I will never see this movie - you know how it will end given that it is about an animal).

And pre-production on Robopocalype - could this be the Sci-Fi movie we have been waiting for? I hope Tom Cruise isn't in it. Aside from that, go for it Steve.

Also listed is Indy V for 2012 - this date assumes they either have a script, or George Lucas is planning to have his buddy start shooting anyway since the last one proved a good story is nice to have but not essential.

Seriously, it is good to see him taking some chances, and not sticking with what he knows best (WWII and Aliens).

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Spielberg
on Mar 21, 2011 at 7:48:24 pm

Mars Needs Moms did major damage to the world of motion capture technology, but I get the feeling like Tintin will easily reverse that when it comes out.

Also, are you aware that Tintin comes out on December 23rd, and War Horse on December 28th? That's two new Spielberg movies released 5 days apart!

I hope in Indy V they kill Indy. I don't mean that in a mean way, or as a joke. I just kinda want to see the death of Indy. I don't believe he has fought dragons yet. Maybe George Lucas can write Indy to go to Asia and get killed by a dragon. Or an alien riding a dragon. Or a dragon riding a dragon. The more special effects we get crammed into a single frame, the better... It's the Lucas way!

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Mar 21, 2011 at 8:09:11 pm

Indeed, 2 Spielberg films in the same week is ambitious. Chances are, given all the CG work on TinTin, he did not have to be involved day to day, leaving him time to shoot and post a live action movie.

I think Indy V should either involve dinosaurs (he's an archaeologist after all) which would be a good tie-in with Jurassic Park IV or something having to do with American history (such as a secret chamber under New York containing a treasure of national value) or with the Cuban Missile Crisis (perhaps Castro used the missiles as a cover story to hide the fact that he found the Fountain of Youth in Cuba - the Bay of Pigs was a CIA operation to get Kennedy some of those healing waters. Indy gets involved at the request of J Edgar Hoover. We could also do with a flashback to WWII with Sean Connery (offer him enough money)).

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 22, 2011 at 2:06:32 pm

TinTin is a european phenomenon, and it should do great there, but I think it's not going to find an audience in the US, especially if the movie stays true to the books and comics.

As to an Indiana Jones V, well, they took the best plot ideas they had left, and ruined the execution in the last one. It was easily as bad as the one set in India. Keep Lucas away from the scripting, is job number one.

If I had to make an Indy V, I would try to go back to the roots. Make it smaller, but better plotted. Indy goes to the Himalayas in search of the Yeti, but stumbles across a renegade Red Chinese army unit that wants to capture and enslave the yeti race as soldiers.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Mar 22, 2011 at 3:09:16 pm

Lucas owns the characters for Indy and his scripting was so successful with the recent movies which shall not be named that he obviously is the right person for the job. That being said, Indy IV had an actual screenwriter, David Koepp. Lucas was story only.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Alex Hawkins
on Aug 1, 2011 at 7:10:12 am

Hi There, just discovered this forum. Great stuff!

Just a question but does anyone think Spielberg has made a great film since Saving Private Ryan?

After watching Crystal Skull I really thought he'd lost his mojo. Some of the editing and shot selection in that film was mysterious to say the least.

Alex Hawkins
Canberra, Australia

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Aug 1, 2011 at 1:34:12 pm

Welcome! It's a small-ish group of folks here, but we have a lot of fun. Spread the word!

[Alex Hawkins] " does anyone think Spielberg has made a great film since Saving Private Ryan?"

I think you meant to say since "Jaws." :-)

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Aug 1, 2011 at 2:22:53 pm

Both Minority Report and Munich are underrated Spielberg movies of the 2000s. Neither are amazing, but they are certainly decent.

Return to posts index

Alex Hawkins
on Aug 2, 2011 at 1:18:19 am

Thanks for the welcome Tim, great to be amongst you guys. I just hope I don't end up spending too much time here to the detriment of my work/home life.

[Tim Wilson] "I think you meant to say since "Jaws." :-)"

Ooooo that may be a bit harsh. I would probably put Schindler's List in my top 10 and although it isn't one of my favourites, ET is still something special and Raiders is pretty hard to beat for an action/adventure film.

[Scott Roberts] "Both Minority Report and Munich are underrated Spielberg movies of the 2000s. Neither are amazing, but they are certainly decent."

Minority Report was a decent thriller yes, but as with all Spielberg's movies he has to tie up all the loose ends and wrap it all up into a nice neat bundle for the ending to go down smoothly with his audience. (check out A.I. A fantastic film up until David gets dumped, upon which it becomes increasingly predictable and sentimental with an interminable conclusion, wrapped up neatly as Pinocchio basically gets his wish with the help of aliens. Do you think Kubrick would have ended it the same way?)

Munich had some good things in it but again I found it unsatisfying. Overall its moral ambiguity frustrated me and it therefore lacked impact. It was as if Spielberg was unsure of his view on the actions of these guys and was therefore unable to commit the film and ultimately the audience to one (something Oliver Stone never has a problem with).

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 2, 2011 at 3:06:57 pm

[Alex]
Spielberg's movies he has to tie up all the loose ends and wrap it all up into a nice neat bundle for the ending to go down smoothly with his audience.

I'm a fan of movies that end nice and neat. If you have not seen Ladder 49 then don't read any further. But I was upset to invest that much time in the theater in becoming attached to a character that failed at the end and lost his life. There is enough bad news in the world that I don't want to spend my "entertainment time" with it. I like movies where our hero triumphs in the end. I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, I'm just saying my opinion is different and I like it when a nice bow is wrapped on the end of the film.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Alex Hawkins
on Aug 3, 2011 at 12:43:50 am

[Stephen Smith] "I like it when a nice bow is wrapped on the end of the film."

Yeah sometimes that's good, just not ALL the time that's all.

Although that said, I was really annoyed with the last 15 minutes of The Departed.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 3, 2011 at 2:25:27 am

Sometimes I enjoy an ambiguous ending that lets the audience imagine the rest their own way. Makes for great after-show conversations over dinner.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 3, 2011 at 4:06:47 pm

Mark, I agree an ambiguous ending can be great if done right. I loved the movie Inception. I could watch it over and over again. All though the ending was not clear, either way you choose to let it end, the main character is happy. And I felt like the movie was wrapped up nice and clean at the end although it is not. I think a skilled film maker can even end a film unhappy and I'll be happy with the ending. Saving Private Ryan is sad at the end when the main character dies, but he achieved his goal and his death had meaning. In the end the main character triumphed. But for me, in general, I love the hero being happy and triumphant in the end, you know...riding off in the sunset sort of thing.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]