FORUMS: list search recent posts

Famous actors who passed on famous roles.

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Smith
Famous actors who passed on famous roles.
on Mar 16, 2011 at 9:48:11 pm

Here is an interesting article on actors who passed on famous roles.

http://www.imakenews.com/kengarffhonda/e_article002011782.cfm?x=bjdsNlj,bk4...

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Famous actors who passed on famous roles.
on Mar 16, 2011 at 10:07:35 pm

Sean Connery passed on being Gandalf for LOTR because he thought it was "stupid" and wouldn't succeed and thought he'd do much better instead as Alan Quatermain in "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen".

Kirstie Alley turned down staying on for another Star Trek movie as Saavik. They had to put a differnt actress in the role the next time.

Only recently did I learn that William Shatner's iconic role as Captain Kirk was also offered to Lloyd Bridges and Jack Lord, after the pilot versions' captain Pike, Jeffry Nobodyremembersnow, took his wife's advice that the role was bad for his career as a leading man... I could see Jack as Kirk, his style is similar to Shatner's.

Numerous guys for Superman....

There are a lot of these.....

Al Pacino for Han SOLO though? Can you imagine? "WHOOOA! She ain't MUCH KID, but she's got it WHERE IT COUNTS- WHOO_AH!!!." "Say hello to my little friends... the Jawas!"

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 16, 2011 at 10:19:45 pm

The pilot to Leave it To Beaver had a dad who smokes all the time and has a creepy voice. Good call on recasting Beavers dad to Hugh Beaumont.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 17, 2011 at 1:15:26 pm

Keanen and Kell took a pass on "The Fresh Prince of Bel Aire"

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Mar 17, 2011 at 1:22:03 pm

These are pretty well known:

They finally settled on a couple of unknowns

Clearly, Harrison Ford's interview style has not improved much over the decades - although his paychecks have!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 17, 2011 at 3:04:25 pm

Mike, that is really cool.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Mar 17, 2011 at 3:42:22 pm

Those Star Wars auditions are pretty awesome.

But from that article, imagine Matthew McConaughey in Titanic...

"Jack it's really cold out here, we might freeze to death, maybe you should put your shirt back on...?"

"Nahhh babe, I'm alright, but I'll tell you whaaaat, I feel like we can get some good surf out here, ya know what. Some motioooon in the oceaaaannn, heh heh hehhhh. Oh yeah, like, live your life Rose, make sure to keeeeep oooooon liviiiin, allllriiiiiight, heh heh heh..."

Just to add one not mentioned, I remember an interview with Dave Chappelle from a few years ago (before he went crazy) where he said the only acting role he was offered and turned down AND regretted not taking in retrospect was Bubba from Forrest Gump.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Mar 17, 2011 at 8:18:16 pm

I have a feeling that some of the actors in those audition tapes were passed on, rather than passers on.

Here's a casting memo for Star Trek The Next Generation. Quite surprising stuff...

http://www.lettersofnote.com/2010/08/star-trekcasting.html

Return to posts index

Alex Hawkins
on Aug 2, 2011 at 2:03:28 am

Interesting article Stephen. A good read.

Couple of points:

Burt Reynolds did in fact NOT win the oscar for his role in Boogie Nights, Robin Williams won that year for Good Will Hunting (Reynolds won the Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actor).

Also from what I've read I believe that Bette Davis was desperate to play Scarlett and Warners offered Selznick a 'package' with Davis, Erroll Flynn and Olivia De Havilland but Selznick thought her wrong for the part and declined the offer.

What about Tom Hanks as Andy Dufresne? He would have been alright don't you reckon? I think he would have brought more pathos to the role (mmm well maybe too much?) and it would have certainly been a role he could get his acting chops into. Maybe he just saw the role as too downbeat and Tim Robbins does have that extra edginess about his characters that Hanks doesn't really have.

It's all very fascinating isn't it. Can you imagine Ronald Reagan and Hedy Lamarr as the leads in Casablanca? Apparently they were being considered at one point.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]