FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rollerx watch movies

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Rollerx watch movies
on Mar 13, 2011 at 12:57:30 am

I love Rolex watches, can't afford one, so I do happen to have an imitation I wear to formals. You know the web is rife with imitation Rolexes, some of them very close copies, others, less so, with the brand name misspelled.

We now have the same thing happening in movies: tonight on sci-fi network is the premiere of "Battle for LA" , what seems to be a direct-to-dvd imitation of "Battle: LA"

I recall similar look-alike direct-to cable or direct-to-video imitations came out for Dat the Earth Stood Still, Transformers, and Alice In WOnderland, among others.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Rollerx watch movies
on Mar 14, 2011 at 2:22:45 pm

I wouldn't put it past SyFy channel to make a One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest knock off with malfunctioning androids at this point.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 14, 2011 at 4:18:24 pm

Futurama already did a great version of that.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 14, 2011 at 4:21:43 pm

We watched the sci-fi channel version for blanks and giggles. Man, did it stink on ice, from an incoherent script, to lame acting, to low quality effects and a budget that basically kept the whole thing in only three set locations.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 14, 2011 at 5:38:53 pm

This reminds me of how we seem to get two movies that are the same idea every year. For example:

-A Bugs Life - Ants
-Armageddon - Deep Impact
-Knight & Day - Killers
-The Prestige - The Illusionist
-Mission to Mars - Red Planet
-Volcano - Dante's Peak
-Tombstone - Wyatt Earp

I can keep going but it will start to hurt my brian.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Mar 14, 2011 at 6:11:38 pm

And, just after the double feature of Deep Impact and Armageddon, you get a made for tv movie on CBS or SyFy called "Mega Asteroid" with such stars as Beau Bridges, Michael Gross, Justine Bateman, Kirk Cameron or David Hyde Pierce. Sad that once popular tv stars find themselves making horrible disaster movies.

Add to the triple feature of film, film and teleplay and you also get one or more documentaries about a similar subject. In the case of Titanic there was obviously money to be made and there were many many programs on many channels about the ill fated voyage.

Oddly absent was a rip off of Avatar, although there must be a burgeoning market of direct to dvd 3d b-movies. I just haven't investigated it. Mark, what have you found?

Mark Cowen

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Mar 14, 2011 at 6:38:58 pm

Last year's Despicable Me and Megamind were also eerily similar in concept.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 14, 2011 at 7:10:17 pm

That I can't go to the movies as often as you guys do! :-)

I'm pretty sure there was a doppleganger direct to DVD version of The Golden Compass as well. In that case it is usaulyl a case of the copyrights to the story not being fully locked-down, or otherwise in the public domain. I have seen some re-makes of old public domain films on the movie store shelves from time to time, though the producers would make a higher margin just selling dubs of the PD movie direct. Every year at the state fair there's a suposedly legit guy selling DVD's of various TV shows and also Disney's "Song of The South", the movie they are ashamed to admit they ever even made.

Avatar would be a hard one to do on the cheap, though there are "Rule 43" versions of it out there already, I'm sure.(I'm not going to go looking) But without as much "production value". When you are as cutting-edge tech as Avatar, you make it financially difficult to copy you beyond some peripheral resemblances.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on May 2, 2013 at 4:17:07 pm

To add to the list of movies that come out in doubles: Olympus Has Fallen just came out and then I watched a trailer for White House Down thinking it was the same movie.

Also: The Incredible Burt Wonderstone - Desperate Acts of Magic

Stephen Smith - Follow me on Behance

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]