FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rubber

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
Rubber
on Mar 3, 2011 at 4:57:25 pm

I watched this movie last night called Rubber, it came out last year and just recently got mass released to the public. Let me throw out the basic premise of the film:

A rubber car tire (named Robert) comes to life for no apparent reason at all, develops psychokinetic powers, and wreaks havoc on a small desert community.

I loved this movie. It was a brilliant exercise in absurdist humor. You definitely can't go into the film hoping for a straightforward homage to slasher films with an odd twist. You can't go into it hoping for anything straightforward. They say right at the beginning, directly to the camera, this is an homage to "No Reason". Somehow, they made a film about a car tire last for 82 minutes, and be entertaining for 82 minutes. I guess it helps when the car tire can blow things up. But it's more than that, yet at the same time, I guess it isn't. I'm making no sense! That's the point!

It's hard for me to describe the kind of film it is. Here's my best shot. It's like Godard's Weekend mixed with Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, with a dose of Monty Python, and multiply the entire thing by the head exploding scene from Scanners.

I found it to be near perfect for what it was. And again, you can't go into it expecting, well, anything. If you understand the opening monologue, then you should understand the whole film. I can't recommend it to anybody, because again it's more an absurdist exercise than a standard film, but I found the whole thing hilarious. I'm guessing a lot of people won't have the patience for it. I'm not a good judge of that because I can sit through some very weird movies with no problem at all. Oddness can hold my attention easily, but maybe it can't for you.

The film would almost be pretentious if it weren't about a killer car tire. But it's smarter and funnier than you'd imagine. I was impressed. And the cinematography is surprisingly great! Very well shot.

If you're interested in Rubber, I was able to rent it on iTunes for $4. I believe it's also available On-Demand (for I don't know how much) and on Amazon streaming video for a rip-off price of $9.99. It hits theaters in April as well. I wouldn't mind seeing it again, on the big screen, when it comes out.

*My opinion about the trailer. If you are actually planning on ever watching Rubber, I would suggest not watching the trailer. I went into it blind, based only on word of mouth, and I probably enjoyed it more that way than if I had seen footage of it beforehand. I say this especially after watching the trailer after I had seen the film.

But if this sounds like the stupidest movie you've ever heard of or something, and would never sit through 82 minutes of a killer car tire movie, then at least watch the trailer, if only for proof that films like this actually exist.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6G5pyFhmAqE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="allowfullscreen"></iframe>

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Rubber
on Mar 3, 2011 at 5:47:43 pm

So you watched this last night instead of Firefly, right? tsk.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Mar 3, 2011 at 5:55:58 pm

Well, I technically gave Firefly 90 minutes of my time, and Rubber 82 minutes... Besides, you don't want me burning through the whole series too fast now, do you? :)

Plus, once it finished downloading, watching the psychokinetic tire film moved to the top of my list of ALL things to do last night. Priorities, man, priorities...

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Mar 3, 2011 at 6:55:56 pm

Sounds a lot like 'Killdozer'.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Mar 3, 2011 at 9:57:36 pm

It is and it isn't. While Killdozer is more of a straight up horror/action kind of thing, where a bulldozer gets infected by a metorite, Rubber just kind of happens. The tire wakes up for no reason, goes where it feels like going, and blows up peoples heads when it wants to.

Rubber is more self aware that it's a film. Borderline breaking the 4th wall while staying in the confines of its "story". It's more of a French New Wave type ridiculous film than anything. French New New Wave. Rubber is even directed by a Frenchman! Sacrebleu!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]