FORUMS: list search recent posts

Old movie but new to me, "Flawless"

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Old movie but new to me, "Flawless"
on Mar 1, 2011 at 8:56:00 pm

My wife got this because she loves Dinero movies. It stars Dinero and Phillip Seymore Hoffman in an unlikely buddy/ fish out of water story. Dinero is by turns amusing and poignant as he plays a macho older ex cop debilitated by a sudden stroke. The contortions he puts his face thru can make you giggle because they make him look like he's doing everybody else's bad Bobby Dinero impression.

Hoffman utterly inhabits his character with frightening commitment, he's completely lost in the character. He plays a drag queen Dinero hires to give him singing lessons as part of his stroke recovery therapy. There is a shaky "B" plot about who is hiding lost stolen mob money and it doesn't really matter much to the story, which is really all about Dinero's character undergoing self realization and Hoffman's breaking down Dinero's stereotypes and cultural barriers to generate an unlikely friendship and co-dependence.

Phillip Hoffman continues to amaze me at his chameleon-like qualities. Dinero did a workmanlike job concentrating on his patented minimalism, which makes you strain to see the dramatic payoff of his tiniest reactions.

Joel Schumaker directed it "fabulously". It is a little strident in the messaging about tolerance, obnoxiously so at times and at points where it doesn't really move the story along. But overall I have to say it entertained me for 90 minutes and gave me an unexpected cinematic trip. I can see whay it bombed in release, as there is no mainstream traditional audience for a film quite like this, but it might make a good netflix choice some time if you like either of the main actor's other work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]