FORUMS: list search recent posts

In response to Bob Cole's suggestion, in a thread below

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Lindeboom
In response to Bob Cole's suggestion, in a thread below
on Apr 18, 2009 at 4:06:02 am

Bob Cole said: "But I would love to know what my fellow COW members would consider their "Desert Island Disks:" What 10-50 DVDs would you take to a desert island (one with electricity, preferably), or perhaps a space capsule to Mars. (My nominee: "The Rules of the Game.")"

One of my desert island DVDs would have to be the 50's Spencer Tracy version of "The Old Man & The Sea" directed by John Sturges. An amazing and poignant character study of a man struggling to find meaning in his life at the closing of his days. An incredible story by Hemingway and no one, no matter how many versions have tried, has matched Sturges' handling of the story, guiding Spencer Tracy in what I think is his greatest role.

An immaculate film in my opinion.

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Ramona Howard
Re: In response to Bob Cole's suggestion, in a thread below
on Apr 18, 2009 at 5:01:58 am

Mine would have to be the TV episodes of Gilligans Island, so I could learn how the professor made all those cool inventions out of coconut shells and seaweed :)

Hey, a girls gotta survive.....

Cheers,
Ramona

Play hard today, it may be raining tomorrow!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Desert Island Favorites
on Apr 18, 2009 at 9:58:08 pm

Why Bob didn't post his original separately I'll never know, and Ron posted a response completely apart from Bob's also defies me, however I'll chalk them both up to their uncontrollable elation over this wonderful new part of the Cow pasture.

Now, if I were marooned on a desert island with a just DVD player and a flat screen TV, I'd want to have the following films (in no particular order):

Woodie Allen's MANHATTAN

UNFORGIVEN

THE GODFATHER 1&2

SEXY BEAST with Ben Kingsley and Ian McShane as the meanest British gangsters you ever saw in your lives. (if you missed this see it)

FARGO

LITTLE BIG MAN

TRUE ROMANCE

HUD

MONTY PYTHON and the HOLY GRAIL

TERMINATOR

PULP FICTION

DR. STRANGELOVE

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Re: Desert Island Favorites
on Apr 20, 2009 at 2:21:08 am

I'll throw "Old Man and the Sea" on my Netflix queue. Thanks.

Gotta love Ramona's practicality: a desert island tv show for her life on a desert island. I guess Disney's Swiss Family Robinson is just a little treacly, but what a treehouse.

The award for catholic (small c) taste goes to David, for putting a most politically correct movie (Little Big Man) and a most politically incorrect movie (Terminator) together. Could be a rough double feature night on the desert island. otoh, you do have some variety there!

I'd need some comedies: "It Happened One Night," "The General," some Chaplin. It's much harder to pick contemporary comedies. When my boys were littler, we'd get into jags with movies like "Dumb and Dumber," but when that movie started to get old, it got old in a big hurry.

And, even though it's obvious, "Citizen Kane." I don't think I really like it, but the acid test for the DIF is: if you're cruising the tv dial (anachronistically) and happen upon a movie you've seen several times before, and you can't help but keep watching it for at least awhile, it's a DIF.

More nominations please!

Bob

Return to posts index

Chris Poisson
on Apr 20, 2009 at 5:36:13 pm

Jeeze, you all missed Cast Away!

Have a wonderful day.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Apr 20, 2009 at 8:04:46 pm

[Chris Poisson] "Jeeze, you all missed Cast Away! "

WILSON!!!!!

Return to posts index

Chris Poisson
on Apr 20, 2009 at 10:13:15 pm

Hilarious!

Have a wonderful day.

Return to posts index

Doug Collins
on Apr 28, 2009 at 8:56:48 pm

"..the acid test for the DIF is: if you're cruising the tv dial (anachronistically) and happen upon a movie you've seen several times before, and you can't help but keep watching it for at least awhile, it's a DIF."

One that I've ONLY seen on tv that fits this for me is The Replacements' with Keanu Reeves. It's just a fun underdog story.

Another that I would have to have is Grosse Pointe Blank. A hitman who is having a mid-life crisis at 27...gotta love it. Not many more movies, but I can think of several tv series. West Wing, Sports Night, Firefly and Farscape would be good to have.

Doug

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
on May 1, 2009 at 5:16:15 am

I'll probably get some adult movies. Also it will be interesting to have some David Lynch movies. 20 years later I'll maybe be able to understand them.

(just kidding, David, I'm a big fan)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]