FORUMS: list search recent posts

Crowd-funding movement to buy the rights to Firefly from TCF

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Sheriff
Crowd-funding movement to buy the rights to Firefly from TCF
on Feb 26, 2011 at 6:12:16 am

Lets take a break from Star Wars for a couple of minutes.

On Feb 17, 2011, in an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Nathan Fillion said: "If I got $300 million from the California Lottery, the first thing I would do is buy the rights to Firefly, make it on my own, and distribute it on the Internet."

Well, let's get the Captain his money!

Seven days after this interview and comment, there is already a web site:
http://www.helpnathanbuyfirefly.com

And a Facebook group with 89,000 followers:
http://www.facebook.com/HelpNathanBuyFF?sk=info

Does this have a snowballs chance in hell? Probably not. But neither did a movie based on a canceled TV series. Maybe you really can't stop the signal.
This is being done 100% by non-industry fans so far. If any of our fine (and perhaps well connected) bovines have any interest in lending a hand in this here is the contact info:
media(at)helpnathanbuyfirefly.com

I think that Fillion's 300 million figure is way high, and of course he was joking. But, it is an interesting concept to crowd-fund (or would you call that a "cash mob") a production.
(If you hear the term "cash mob" in the future, remember who coined that!)

Shiny, now we can go back to talking about Star Wars.

p.s. In the time it took me to write this (bout 5 minutes), the FB page gained about 500 new friends.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: Crowd-funding movement to buy the rights to Firefly from TCF
on Feb 26, 2011 at 6:57:23 am

I forget the movie - it was a London gangster movie from a few years ago - like a Guy Ritchie movie. The director got hundreds of people to fund the movie, added them as producers and made them all extras. It can work.

Firefly - not sure that needs any more movies, although perhaps they would need some cha-ching to get Summer Glau to give up her lucrative career as emotionless female sidekicks. Oops, that's her role in Firefly too.

If I had $300 million, first I would admit that it is more like $150 million after taxes if you take a lump sum vs annuity. Next I would buy a large plot of land in my local town (perhaps the failed indoor water park near my house!) and open a movie studio for state residents and produce several $1 million movies per year, giving experience to local disadvantaged youth (we have many in CT) as well as open it up to actual filmmakers. This would do a lot more good than another Firefly movie.

Guess I'd better buy a lotto ticket. Think I should play the Lost numbers?

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Feb 26, 2011 at 7:06:32 am

I will however admit that Firefly was the rare show that tried to do somewhat realistic sci-fi, before Galactica, and that is good for the genre. And the Star Wars influences were nice.

HaHa - got us back on track.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 28, 2011 at 5:02:43 pm

I loved Firefly and the Serenity movie spin-off. That said, any further new episodes using that continuity are going to have to put the remaining characters thru inevitable changes. You can't freeze them in amber and make evey episode a one-off where everything re-sets in the last ten minutes. That's not story-telling. If the characters advance and the plot has an arc, what results will not be the same exact show. You can't go home again in that sense. Not saying it wouldn't also be good. But it would not be the same show every week.

The characters are now well-known heroes, Malcom's nightmare, because you can't do sneaky smuggling type stuff and hide out without keeping a low profile, and the ship and crew are now famous. Every episode would be like a repeat of "Jaynestown". So they would have to go straight. This can be funny for a season, trying to do things the straight way with a bunch of petty criminals who don't really know how to play the game... but again, this is going to change the character of the show a lot.

If they were to bring back this show, how I would do it is to bring all the cast in for table reads and do the show as audio podcasts first. Then crowdsource the internet fan community to create an animated version of the show, based on the audio podcasts. This is the cheapest way to still do the show creatively. Your production "days" are down to a couple of hours for the actors to read their parts, and if you do the reads in LA most of the cast can get to them, and those that can't can be recorded remotely. No costs for costumes, sets, cameras, etc. just the audio edit, which can then afford the same quality sound design and scoring as the original show. The crowdsourced animation can lead to a number of different styles being applied, and this can be a good thing, since fans can and will choose the versions they like best. It would be a creative synergy where the fans can feel like participants.

Such a project would be a great tie-in to the Firefly universe-based MMORPG that is supposed to be coming out some time. Again, creative synergy.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Feb 28, 2011 at 7:39:23 pm

Based on a strong recommendation from one of my friends, several months ago I purchased Firefly - The Entire Series on Blu-ray for $25. But... I still have yet to watch even a second of it. It might still be in the shrink wrap actually...

I keep getting distracted with other shows I haven't seen (and re-watching The Wire), but I'm hoping this summer, when TV is usually dead, I'll get in the Firefly groove. But until I watch it, no money from me! (I'm sure they'll be greatly missing the $10 I would have likely donated...)

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 28, 2011 at 9:32:00 pm

When you get the plastic off, (Shiny!) I think you will particularly enjoy the episodes "Out of Gas", "Our Mrs. Reynolds" and "Jaynestown" especially. I think those are my favorite three.

"The Train Job" episode has a lot of interesting stuff going on: Fox, you might have heard decided to play the original show episodes out of order, and insisted on not using the Pilot episode first, but rather "dropping the audience into the action" right away. The writers had to throw "The Train Job" together and shoot it very quickly to comply with Fox's demands. Even so, it works pretty well, I think, and has a hilarouis ending you will always remember. Knowing that may increase appreciation for the episode.

Please do watch the eps in order, though. It helps a lot in following the overall plot arc and character development. IF you're not sure, a fast google of "Firefly episode order" will confirm the sequence.

The movie makes a nice capper to the TV show experience.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Feb 28, 2011 at 10:43:05 pm

Mark
"When you get the plastic off, (Shiny!) I think you will particularly enjoy the episodes "Out of Gas", "Our Mrs. Reynolds" and "Jaynestown" especially. I think those are my favorite three."

Those are good choices, especially "Out of Gas". I think I would ad "Shindig" to my list of faves.

Scott R,
" But until I watch it, no money from me! (I'm sure they'll be greatly missing the $10 I would have likely donated...)"

Absolutely no money is being asked for. It is at a support stage right now, which they are hoping to convert to a pledge to invest stage if it gets enough traction. The guys that are behind this are thinking stock, or fractional ownership, not a donation. That is if they could get something worked out with TCF, and get the legal paperwork in place to make it all legit.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 2, 2011 at 8:40:35 pm

Roberts!

Put down the car keys, make some snacks, go open the first volume of Firefly, and watch it tonight.

This is an order. You have tarried too long. The bad 3-d movies will wait for you. Go watch it tonight.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Mar 2, 2011 at 8:55:34 pm

Haha, alright! I was probably going to rewatch 127 Hours tonight, but I can save that for the weekend.

I will Firefly-it up tonight and report back here tomorrow with my thoughts on the first few episodes! It's about time anyway, I'm slightly ashamed for leaving any DVD/Blu-ray in shrink wrap as long as I have here.

I also have that British "Red Riding" trilogy, and The Year of Living Dangerously sitting in a pile unopened as well. But Firefly first! (I guess I could theoretically open the other two things as well, just to finally open them)

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 2, 2011 at 10:12:56 pm

"Shiny".

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Mar 3, 2011 at 3:59:22 pm

Well now I get the shiny reference!

I watched the first episode (the 2 hour pilot), I was pretty entertained. I didn't realize it was basically a western set in space. I like the concept and I thought the characters were interesting enough, at least for the extended pilot. It was funny too, I liked it when it was darkly comical. Like the scene where they are all laughing maniacally because the captain told the doctor that the mechanic girl (still learning names) was dead, I don't know, that had me chuckling at how they executed it. And I have no problem with Adam Baldwin being a loose screw, I don't think I've even seen him in anything since Full Metal Jacket.

The acting overall, though, not the greatest. But that's probably expected, and maybe it gets better, I'll find that out later. And that scene changing music loop they seemed to play all the time got slightly annoying after a while, but it wasn't any kind of deal breaker.

It got me hooked enough for me to begin watching it on a regular basis, I figure I can get through the whole series in a fortnight or so. And I don't know if it was originally shot in HD or up-converted for home video, but the Blu-ray looks pretty crisp.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Mar 10, 2011 at 3:01:16 pm

I too just watched the 2 hour pilot on Hulu. It was a good origin story. I like how the passengers become part of the crew by necessity. Ooh, you're a doctor? We happen to need a doctor. You're a priest? You'll be a great companion for our prostitute!

Obviously inspired by the Millenium Falcon, the ship itself is a character. Having been somewhat obsessed with the interior layout of the Falcon compared to its exterior appearance (basically an impossibility given the assumed dimensions)http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/8/81/Millennium_Falcon_Old_Layout.JPG I investigated the similar factors with the Firefly http://www.fireflywiki.org/img/FireflyModel1.jpg . It is cool that they can have such a large ship have landing gear and decent maneuverability. Yeah I know it's a tv show, but it helps with the perceived realism.

Think I'll rent the DVDs and watch the rest.

Mike Cohen

PS - Nathan Fillion has a pretty distinctive voice. Does he do the Lowes or Home Depot ads?

PPS - Yes, I am a scifi geek especially when it comes to starship deck plans.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 10, 2011 at 5:16:42 pm

You might enjoy one of the bonus features on the DVD set, which is all about design of the ship for shooting and etc. There is also a bit about one of the "easter eggs" in the show, which is a little statue of Han Solo in Carbonite that the set decorators plant in various shots.

That jpeg is inaccurate regarding crew spaces, btw.

I have spent some time thinking about the ship technologies in Firefly, and there are a lot of questions left unanswered about tech features that have story implications. Wheedon was not a huge stickler in that regard, though I did appreciate his decision to have space be actually silent and for zero-gee to be zero-gee.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]