Academy Award Nominations

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
Academy Award Nominations
on Jan 25, 2011 at 3:41:40 pm

They announced the Academy Award nominations this morning:

http://www.oscars.org/awards/academyawards/83/nominees.html

-I really like the Best Picture category this year, I've seen all 10 films, and I liked them all. And the only one of the 10 that even has the resemblance of "Oscar bait" is The King's Speech (but I would probably give it credit for being a little more than that). Though, with 12 nominations, it seems like it's getting slightly too overpraised for my likings.

-Christopher Nolan probably should have gotten a Director nom for Inception instead of the King's Speech guy.

-That's awesome that Winter's Bone got 4 major nominations, that was a really good movie. Probably won't win any of them though.

-Mark Ruffalo for Supporting Actor...? I don't know about that one...

-Hailee Steinfeld is a Supporting Actress? That's odd, but I guess she has a better shot at winning in that category than in Leading Actress. Portman's got that on lockdown!

-They earned some cool points with Exit Through the Gift Shop. But lost some by not letting Scott Pilgrim get a Visual Effects nomination, it was in the running as one of the seven finalists:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/01/05/academy-announces-seven-visual-effect...

I was hoping Pilgrim would at least get a Sound Editing nomination, but hey, I don't think anyone really expected Pilgrim to be at the Oscars, it would have been awesome, though.

-I hope Alice in Wonderland doesn't get anything. What a terrible movie. It had better visual effects than Pilgrim and Tron: Legacy...? C'mon. Also, where's the Daft Punk Original Score...?

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
Re: Academy Award Nominations
on Jan 25, 2011 at 4:31:25 pm

[Scott Roberts] "Christopher Nolan probably should have gotten a Director nom for Inception instead of the King's Speech guy."

--Yea, big time snub for me. That's two years in a row I believe he deserved a nomination.

[Scott Roberts] " Portman's got that on lockdown!"

I think it's a two way race between her and Annette Benning. Benning is a great actress and never won, so I'm sure she's going to have some extra sympathy there.

I haven't seen all of the Best Pictures yet, but from what I have seen, I agree, good movies.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 25, 2011 at 5:16:58 pm

The oscars have little to do with how good a film, actor, director, or writer is. They are horribly political and often counterintuitive, and I long ago gave up caring about their results. If you look at nominated films of the past that lost, you'd perhaps agree.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jan 25, 2011 at 5:19:26 pm

Big thing for me: number of nods for The Social Network is #3 behind True Grit - BIG surprise, as this hasn't done that well in awards seasons until now. Only a little surprised to see King's Speech at the top - it just won the Producer's Guild award, which most people had expected would go to Social Network.

Of course the thing is, you only need to be nominated in one category to win it. :-)

Nolan's lack of love for direction in general, and Inception in particular, remains a mystery. (BTW, he gets MUCH love as a writer.)
He didn't even get a Director's Guild nomination on Inception! At least he got nominated for Memento and Dark Knight. Is it getting dinged for being too early in the year? I wouldn't think so with such a dynamite DVD package on the streets now - absolutely first class, btw, and highly recommended, ESPECIALLY on Blu-ray.

Inception is in fact reason enough to buy a Blu-ray player, which you can get for $50 or so.

And no editing love? It better win for Art Direction, that's for sure.

Love seeing Melissa Leo nominated again, for The Fighter. I know that Amy Adams is wonderful in the same movie, and I like her too - but I get the feeling that she could be back again soon, and after a killer performance in Frozen, I hope this is Melissa's turn.

How cool would it be to see Trent Reznor win an Oscar?

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jan 25, 2011 at 5:47:19 pm

[Tim Wilson] "How cool would it be to see Trent Reznor win an Oscar?"

When Reznor won the Golden Globe he said "how interesting to be recognized in this field" - clearly a fish out of water in Hollywood. I wonder how many A-listers had ever heard of NIN or Reznor. He tweeted "holy #$%*" upon winning.

The only movies out of this lot that I have seen are Social Network, Black Swan and The Fighter. It is rare for me to go to the theater this many times in a year (plus Tron which got a nice nod for sound editing).

I would give actress to Portman - if only as a reward for burying Queen Amidala once and for all.

Likewise, every performance in the Fighter was Oscar worthy. It would be cool for Bale to be recognized for proper dramatic role.

Biutiful - ??? Have not heard of this one.

I have some renting to do in a few months.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jan 25, 2011 at 9:45:22 pm

I wonder though, if the Academy will go in favor of the Trent Reznor / Atticus Ross score. I can never understand their stance on popular musicians contributing to films. On one hand, they have recently given Oscars to the likes of Eminem and Three 6 Mafia. On the other hand, two years ago they didn't even bother to nominate Bruce Springsteen for his song from The Wrestler (which won the Best Song at the Golden Globes [and several other awards]) in favor of instead putting up two Slumdog Millionaire songs. But Springsteen won for a song from Philidelphia in the 90s! Wait... he... but... I don't know...

I guess Original Song is a completely different category from Original Score. Original Song can go either way. But if we are talking Score, then I don't believe they've ever given it to a popular musician. My guess is that they don't give it to Reznor's Social Network score (which I love, and actually listen to casually), and instead go traditional again and give it to Hans Zimmer's Inception score (which, I might add, is also excellent).

But then again, they kind of broke traditional ways two years ago by going with the Slumdog score, so who knows?! I think it's either Trent Reznor or Hans Zimmer, the other three don't seem like a threat.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jan 25, 2011 at 9:55:04 pm

I have always been perplexed by the best song category. Very often, the song is only heard during the end credits - something 95% of people do not watch. Often the song is a derivative of the score, such as in Titanic, sometimes it is simply a song inspired by the movie, and sometimes it is simply a new song from a popular artist (or an artist hoping to be popular (or an artist who seems pretty popular but who will be unknown within a few years)).

If the song is IN the movie, such as a musical number from an animated movie or Chicago-like musical live action movie, nominate to your heart's content. But in my opnion, a song that is only heard during the end credits should be considered the score.

Then you have music, such as in Inception, which is almost another character in the movie. With different or no music in certain climactic scenes (same goes with Dark Knight and other epic movies), the scenes would not seem as dramatic. I know, I know, that is the purpose of the score - to augment or call attention to the action - but the Inception score in particular was much more.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jan 25, 2011 at 11:47:16 pm

Scott, they didn't nominate Bruce for The Wrestler, but Bruce WON the award for Streets of Philadelphia, which I thought was a better song and more integral to the movie. Incidentally, Neil Young was nominated from that picture for the song CALLED Philadelphia. Can you imagine that that was from 1993? nearly 20 years ago now.

They also gave Dylan an Oscar for his song from Wonder Boys. I saw him in concert a few times in the following years, and he kept it on his monitor behind the keyboard. Truly hilarious, and only viewable from certain angles...but there nonetheless.

Score is a biggie for me. The Lord of the Rings had music over virtually every frame, and especially in the first one, was enormously powerful. You're right, Mike, using Enya in this example, TOTALLY score, NOT a Best Song nominee.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jan 28, 2011 at 2:15:49 pm

Haha, those are pretty awesome. I like the 127 Hours one the best.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]