FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Way Back / Buried

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
The Way Back / Buried
on Jan 24, 2011 at 3:42:20 pm

I saw the new Peter Weir film, The Way Back, over the weekend. It was about a group a prisoners (most of them political prisoners) escaping a Siberian prison in the early 1940s. It was just alright. I'd say I was relatively entertained throughout most of it, but at 2 hours and 15 minutes, it just went on too long. Also, I question the threat level of most of the film as well. The whole film the characters give the impression they are being chased, or they are in danger of getting caught, but the "bad guys" never end up appearing. This is basically a 2 hour 15 minute battle against nature, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. But when the pacing is as slow as it is in this film, it starts to lose my attention. The trailer is not reflective of the pacing at all.

Not a bad movie, but I'll probably forget I even saw it two months from now. I loved the cinematography though, lots of pretty shots throughout. I liked Ed Harris too, it feels like I haven't seen him in a starring role in a while.

<iframe type="text/html" width="560" height="345" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/87kezJTpyMI" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen="allowFullScreen"></iframe>

I also watched Buried last night on Blu-ray. It's a movie starring Ryan Reynolds, and the ENTIRE film takes place inside a coffin. Great concept, and I thought the execution was also pretty great. Despite the fact that you're just watching a guy laying down in the same spot for 90 minutes, it manages to stay interesting and he keeps having things to do, and new things to worry about. And kudos to the cinematography as well, that was probably one of the most interesting parts of the film. It's a movie that takes place in the smallest setting possible, and they were still able to do cool things with lighting and angles, I was impressed mainly that they were able to pull this film off. Sure, some elements of the plot were kind of silly, but it didn't take away enough for me to dislike it. It's pretty cool, you should check it out if you have time, it came out on DVD a couple weeks ago.

<iframe type="text/html" width="560" height="345" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/j1Yyhxq56Xg" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen="allowFullScreen"></iframe>

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]