FORUMS: list search recent posts

Product Placement

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
Product Placement
on Jan 12, 2011 at 2:25:46 pm

Filmdrunk has created a kind of interesting video about the history of product placement in movies:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/wACBAu9coUU?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/wACBAu9coUU?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Product Placement
on Jan 12, 2011 at 3:24:43 pm

That was awesome. I love that Wayne's World segment. I heard that companies payed money to have their cereal box in Jerry's apartment on Seinfeld. I don't know if that is true but I don't see why not.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jan 21, 2011 at 4:48:39 pm

I read that in the syndicated HD Seinfeld episodes they are digitally changing the products seen in Jerry's kitchen. Revisionism in product placement. What will they think of next!

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Jan 21, 2011 at 4:58:42 pm

Well, if you haven't seen it yet, daytime soap operas like Days of Our Lives have begun to actually write product placement into the dialogue. And it ain't subtle!

<iframe type="text/html" width="425" height="349" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2uObLcznfjY" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen="allowFullScreen"></iframe>

<iframe type="text/html" width="425" height="349" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wg4-3pzzms0" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen="allowFullScreen"></iframe>

<iframe type="text/html" width="425" height="349" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KPuz8LpsGMw" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen="allowFullScreen"></iframe>

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 24, 2011 at 5:01:52 pm

Ha Ha, I like the Cheerios one. I just wish that the actor would have had an eye patch on. That would have done it for me.

The TV show Chuck got saved by product placement. They did Subway product placement where they would bribe someone with a juicy tender chicken sandwich or what ever. They tried to make it funny instead of awkward. Anyways, ratings dropped and it looked like they where going to cancel the show and Subway stepped in to get them another season.

Psyche, a did product placement with Red Robin...they went the funny wrought and made a joke out of the product placement so you laughed and got the sales pitch at the same time. I think if you are going to do it that is a better way to go.

Oh, and Chuck got a stain on his shirt during a mission and luckily he had a Tide stain remover pen that........

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Feb 24, 2011 at 5:11:11 pm

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia on FX also has a ton of product placement (mainly with the beer they drink) in the episodes. But they had a little controversy a season ago when they had like half an episode take place in a Dave & Buster's restaurant, in which they make note of it every time they are in there. I thought it was fine, because they were poking fun at it while advertising for it, and it even moved the story along. "Where else can you get a delicious steak in an arcade setting?! You tell me!"

I don't watch Chuck, but if they are doing it like Always Sunny, and are being entertaining and clever with their product placement as opposed to insanely blunt like the soap operas, then I'm fine with it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]