FORUMS: list search recent posts

The King's Speech

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
The King's Speech
on Jan 10, 2011 at 4:04:40 pm

I wasn't really planning on seeing The King's Speech, but a complete lack of new (good) movies in the theaters, and nothing to do Saturday afternoon before the NFL playoffs, I just dove in to kill two hours.

I was pleasantly surprised at how entertaining it was. I normally write off these kind of Oscar bait period dramas as entertaining, but forgettable. Invictus, The Queen, Frost/Nixon, Atonement, Good Night and Good Luck, Seabiscuit, etc. I'd probably group King's Speech in the lot as well. I don't think any of them are bad movies, but none of them are really Earth-shattering cinema either. They are all movies that probably could have been released as made-for-TV movies on BBC or AMC or something. Not to insult older folk or anything, but the theater was actually pretty crowded at 1 PM on a Saturday, but I was the youngest person in there by probably 20-30 years. That's the demographic these movies likely please most, and there's nothing wrong with that. I'd rather see a film geared at ages older than me, than one geared for younger than me (like... Twilight).

But of the above movies I named, I'd probably say King's Speech is the best of that group. The acting was superb, someone in this cast is likely getting an Oscar, and I'm going to lean towards Colin Firth as the King. Geoffrey Rush was pretty great too, but I don't think he's got Christian Bale (from The Fighter) beat for supporting actor. King's Speech also separated itself from the pack with at least a decent attempt at great cinematography. Shots were at times borderline brilliant, while other times seemed forced. But at least it kept things interesting. And of course the story is pretty uplifting, and the whole thing has a good tone about uniting the upper and lower classes.

So if you find yourself bored with nothing to do, and want to head over to the theater, there's worse films out right now (Little Fockers, Country Strong, Yogi Bear) than The King's Speech. But there's also better things to see (True Grit, The Fighter, Black Swan, and I believe they have re-released Social Network in theaters this week if you haven't seen it, but that also comes out on Blu-ray/DVD tomorrow [check it out, it's really good!]).

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/pzI4D6dyp_o?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/pzI4D6dyp_o?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]