FORUMS: list search recent posts

True Grit - two thumbs up to the Coen Bros.

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Roth Weiss
True Grit - two thumbs up to the Coen Bros.
on Dec 20, 2010 at 9:41:57 pm

I saw True Grit last week at the Director's Guild, and along with many editors from the Editor's Guild who were watching, I was very pleasantly fulfilled.

Jeff Bridges is stellar. The little girl at the center of the story is mindblowing. A beginner they say: she is so good that Bridges, nor Matt Damon, nor Josh Brollin couldn't upstage her if they tried. The great thing is, none of them did try; they were all incredibly respectful of her and respectful to the story, which is really her story, and told through her eyes. The Coen brothers really seemed to fathom tha completely, and DP Roger Deakins also got it too.

Hardly a frame out of place in this film... Go see it, or you'll be sorry.

BTW, it was cut on Final Cut Pro, and FCP gets a credit at the end of the film. I'm guessing Apple gave the Coen Bros. an iPad, or maybe two even...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: True Grit - two thumbs up to the Coen Bros.
on Dec 20, 2010 at 9:47:36 pm

I'm happy to hear it's good! I'm really excited for this, I'm planning on seeing it on Thursday.

So I take it the PG-13 rating doesn't take away from the film?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 20, 2010 at 10:03:00 pm

Does it have the iconic line from the first movie version? i.e."Fill your hand..."

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 20, 2010 at 10:17:02 pm

[Mark Suszko] "Does it have the iconic line from the first movie version? i.e."Fill your hand...""

I don't precisely remember that one Mark, because their are many other iconic and very memorable lines in this one. I can't wait to see it again.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 20, 2010 at 10:14:01 pm

[Scott Roberts] "So I take it the PG-13 rating doesn't take away from the film?
"

It's certainly got plenty of violence... So, apparently they're not using that as a consideration these days when making the ratings.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Dec 23, 2010 at 4:17:41 pm

We saw True Grit last night, and I agree with David, it is a really great film. It just flies by because it's so engaging, it didn't feel like 2 hours at all, it felt more like 90 minutes. I was pleasantly surprised at how (intentionally) funny it was. I mean, I know the Coen Brothers put humor into most of their work, but some of the lines in this are classic, and the timing is a credit to the actors. Everyone was definitely on point, from Bridges to Damon to the newcomer girl. Josh Brolin was entertaining for his small role, and there was even a nice small part for Barry Pepper. This is definitely a movie everyone should check out.

And the PG-13 rating definitely didn't hurt this at all now that I saw it. There is definitely some brutal violence in True Grit. Bloody, gory stuff I would expect in an R-rated film. But, there was no nudity or foul language, so it gets the PG-13. The MPAA are a strange group of people.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 23, 2010 at 4:38:20 pm

[Scott Roberts] "It just flies by because it's so engaging, it didn't feel like 2 hours at all, it felt more like 90 minutes."

Scott, something tells me we're not going to be alone in our appreciation of True Grit. Glad you liked it too.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Chip Hess
on Dec 29, 2010 at 2:24:05 am

I look forward to reading about the post and edit process!
The film is drop-dead gorgeous to look at. Very interesting
color choices.

Oscar nominations will abound.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 29, 2010 at 2:59:00 am

Well, we know it was posted on Final Cut Pro, cuz FCP got a credit.

[Chip Hess] "The film is drop-dead gorgeous to look at. Very interesting
color choices."

I thought the cinematography was outstanding. It felt just right at all times -- with the perfect choice of angles and the perfect choice of lenses on every shot.

It was so seamless that it felt as though it may have just flowed together quite easily in post. However, nothing I've ever worked on has come together easily in post, so I've always wondered if that's even possible. Of course, when it's well edited, it always looks easy.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Dec 31, 2010 at 5:52:12 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Jeff Bridges is stellar. The little girl at the center of the story is mindblowing."

I just saw True Grit last night. I agree that the acting was excellent, but I came away wanting more. I chuckled a few times, but never really laughed, never cried, never cared. Splattering blood and severed fingers didn't do anything for the story or for me. What you don't see is often more powerful than what you do see. There was no character arc that I could detect; no thrill of discovery for the characters or for me. I found myself focusing on the technical aspects of the film in order to stay interested. Some of the awful composites in the final horse riding scene took me out of the story even further. Overall, I wouldn't say it is a 'bad' movie, but I didn't come away feeling like I had learned anything, been emotionally affected or even been just plain entertained.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 31, 2010 at 6:12:38 pm

[Jason Jenkins] " Some of the awful composites in the final horse riding scene took me out of the story even further."

And for me, I kept thinking that this was the little girl's POV, and just what people recall from their semi-conscious near-death experiences when poisoned, especially in a tall tale like this.

I believe those composites were entirely intentional. Keep in mind, the very start of the film sets us up for a fairy tale, or since this is a Western, a very "tall tale," and I think much of the what we're seeing is just that. Tall tales are a very American theme, which is one of the themes of all of the Coen brothers work.

The fact that the little girl never sees Rooster Cogburn again in her lifetime tells us that this story is her recollection of memories, mixed with her fantasies, and with twenty-years of separation added in.

I liked it and found it very fulfilling.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 2, 2011 at 10:44:40 pm

Just got back from watching it. Yes, the girl is phenomenal. Everyone was. Only thing my wife didn't like was the song at the end, and, being a horse expert, she thought some of the horses were not matched as closely as they could have been to the book descriptions.

I found Damon's casting odd, but it worked. You should check out the bio for the guy who plays Ned Pepper: the real actor's name is Pepper as well. He has a fascinating life story.

Bridges created a fully-realized Cogburn. Flawless.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: True Grit - BLINGATUDE
on Jan 6, 2011 at 12:59:43 am

Haha I just saw this clip on Slash Film, it's a K-Mart commercial for "Blingatude". But if you notice the girl in the blue spotted blingatuded dress, it's none other than Mattie Ross herself, Hailee Steinfeld.

That's quite the jump... Going from an annoying commercial to an Oscar worthy Coen Bros movie like that!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/vgy5ZzYQau0?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/vgy5ZzYQau0?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: True Grit - BLINGATUDE
on May 27, 2011 at 7:23:42 pm

I recently had to buy a new used car. I sic'd the wife on the salesman, due to her superior bargaining skills.

"You ever see either version of "True Grit"?" I asked the young car salesman.

"No, why?"

"You're going to experience the horse trading scene, first hand".

And he did. Ending was somewhat similar:-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]