FORUMS: list search recent posts

127 Hours

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
127 Hours
on Nov 22, 2010 at 6:32:45 pm

Saw 127 Hours over the weekend, the new film from Danny Boyle (Trainspotting, 28 Days Later, Slumdog Millionaire), I've got to say, it was pretty good. I've seen some uncreative ways to stage an entire movie (or the main plot of a movie) in a single location, but 127 Hours does a good job of keeping it entertaining while you're watching a movie about a guy with his arm caught under a rock.

A flaw though (and it's not really the movie's fault), is that since this is based on a widely known true story, most people know what gruesomely happens at the end to this poor guy. So the mystery of how the film was going to end was ruined from the start. If I didn't know anything about the real story, then the intrigue of the situation would have probably made the film even more enthralling. If you're lucky enough to not know, then I won't say anything. But the conclusion of the film had me cringing a lot. It was really good how they used sound and camera tricks to play off the feeling of pain, and really almost makes the audience experience how terrible it was as well.

I think this movie had the correct guy to direct it. Boyle continued to use his fast paced, hallucinogenic shooting style that he has used on most, if not all, of his films thus far. James Franco was excellent as the lead, I imagine his name will get thrown around come Oscar time. Cinematography was beautiful, though I imagine it wasn't hard to get nice shots in the area where they shot it.

I was very impressed overall. I was maybe hoping I'd like it a little more, but it's still one of the better movies from this year.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/Ba1IhHAqLgw?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/Ba1IhHAqLgw?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: 127 Hours
on Nov 23, 2010 at 2:32:11 pm

[Scott] Cinematography was beautiful, though I imagine it wasn't hard to get nice shots in the area where they shot it.

Southern Utah is just spectacular. If you have never been there you need to go. The one problem is, there are so many unique things to see you can't do it all in one trip. Check out this post in the "Movies Featuring Great Cities" thread.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 24, 2010 at 2:26:40 am

Hope the Utah film commission paid you for that plug, friend:-)

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Nov 24, 2010 at 3:36:28 pm

[Mark] Hope the Utah film commission paid you for that plug, friend:-)

For the plug they gave me this sweat pen with a Utah Film Commission logo on it. Plus, I got promised that I could be a PA (with no pay) on the next film shot in Utah. Fingers crossed for High School Musical 4. ;-)

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]