FORUMS: list search recent posts

Skyline

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
Skyline
on Nov 15, 2010 at 7:30:59 pm

Saw this new alien invasion movie over the weekend called Skyline... I would suggest avoiding it in all stages of its existence. Don't see it in theaters, don't rent the DVD, don't watch it on USA network in 3 years, don't check it out when they re-release it on 5D hologram laser goggles in the year 2050. It wasn't the worst movie of the year, I save that special place for Alice in Wonderland, but they're rubbing elbows.

I will say one positive thing about it, though. The special effects, when they show up, look pretty good. The aliens blend fairly seamlessly into the environment, and (though I may have had some issues with the design of some of them) the overall look and feel of the aliens were pretty solid. No real complaints in that department.

OK, that's about all the good I can say about it... Casting is weak. Acting is weak. Plot is barely there. "Oh no, aliens!" is basically the plot. I don't even know what to say about the terrible ending, it barely made sense.

My biggest gripe about it, though, was that it was supposed to be a grand, "epic" alien invasion movie... and literally 99% of the film takes place inside a single apartment building... How lame is that...?!

Two of my friends were bored when I saw this on Saturday, and decided to tag along to whatever movie I was seeing. The rest of the night was basically them berating me for putting them through those 90 minutes of Skyline. "I didn't know it was going to be that bad!" was all I could say... Lousy Skyline...

We probably should have went to Denzel Washington vs. the Renegade Train instead, it somehow mustered an 86% on Rotten Tomatoes (!). Oops...

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/qDJfue-Aanw?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/qDJfue-Aanw?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Skyline
on Nov 16, 2010 at 10:04:32 pm

if it wasn't for scottie thompson, I would have left the theatre. and why is the ending exactly like half life's dog?

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Nov 17, 2010 at 4:28:56 pm

Yeah, she was probably the best out of this awful cast (that's not saying too much, though). I was kind of banking on the guy who plays Batista on Dexter to do something awesome, but of course he ended up doing absolutely nothing worthwhile...

Actually maybe the best performance in the film was that little dog that the old guy neighbor was holding. Did you see how it barked when it was supposed to, and didn't when they told it to be quiet?! More convincing than Eric Balfour, that's for sure!

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Nov 17, 2010 at 5:05:51 pm

I almost cried when the drone almost didn't make it to fire off the nuke. I mean, the music was perfectly scored there, don't you agree?

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Nov 17, 2010 at 5:23:26 pm

Whoa, almost cried...? I had to step into the hallway and take a minute to myself, the emotions of that scene were running so high. I always get a little weepy-eyed when a nuclear weapon is used over a major city as a first resort. It's... well, there's just something magical about it...

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Nov 17, 2010 at 5:41:13 pm

[Scott Roberts] "I always get a little weepy-eyed when a nuclear weapon is used over a major city as a first resort"

I love the smell of nukes in the morning. It smells like...hey, wait, my nose just fell off!

But dude, hating on Eric Balfour? That just won't do.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Nov 17, 2010 at 6:33:46 pm

To be honest, I've only seen Balfour in three things; Skyline, Hell Ride, and that Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake from 5 or 6 years ago. Based on those three performances, I feel justified in disliking Mr. Balfour. I guess he's more of a TV actor, but I don't really watch anything he's on.

And Skyline didn't help his career...

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Nov 17, 2010 at 9:30:54 pm

[Scott Roberts] "I feel justified in disliking Mr. Balfour"

He KILLED on Six Feet Under, and I've really enjoyed him on Haven...but I was mostly just busting your chops. :-)

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Nov 17, 2010 at 10:17:55 pm

Haha, I was hoping you weren't actually defending that guy's career, Tim! But I do hear from everyone I know who's seen Six Feet Under that it's really good, I didn't even know Balfour was on it. True Blood is mostly entertaining to me, they're from the same guy I believe. Six Feet Under has been on my (seemingly infinite) "TV shows to watch" queue for a while... Maybe I'll get to it by 2012 if I'm lucky!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 18, 2010 at 3:26:03 pm

Skyline would have to go a long way to be worse than THIS steaming pile:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/99/859215

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]