FORUMS: list search recent posts

Due Date

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
Due Date
on Nov 8, 2010 at 5:02:12 pm

Saw the new Robert Downey Jr and Zach Galifianakis comedy, Due Date, over the weekend and was unpleasantly disappointed... It's not awful, and certainly not the worst comedy I've seen this year, but when when it was all over and I was walking out of the theater I definitely had the underwhelming feeling that I just saw a forgettable, mediocre movie.

When I thought about it, this suffered the same problem (almost the exact same problem) as Dinner for Schmucks did a few months ago. The characters were the problem. It's almost the exact same dynamic as Dinner for Schmucks as well; irrationally strange unlikable man gets paired with the also unlikable normal guy, and the normal guy has to deal with the unlikely situations that the strange man puts him in, all while the normal guy tries to balance his normal life with the realization that the mental patient he's been stuck with may have feelings after all. Both films have two lead characters that are nearly impossible to relate to, and both films tried to push a forced sentiment on the audience that just didn't work (at least for me). In fact, if Dinner for Schmucks was a road movie, it would be Due Date. (but in all fairness, I'd potentially watch Due Date again on TV a few years from now, but I never want to see Schmucks again)

It is also easy to compare it to The Hangover, as it is the same director (Todd Phillips) and star (Galifianakis). But Due Date did not have the same memorability of The Hangover, and I might point my finger at a little too much "wacky" Zach Galifianakis for my taste. But don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of his stand up comedy (Live at the Purple Onion is incredibly funny in my opinion), and I even like some of his more recent performances, such as It's Kind of a Funny Story and his role in Bored to Death. But where this kind of annoying, brain-dead, almost unhuman character worked as a supporting role in The Hangover, he plays the exact same person in Due Date, but he gets crammed in your face every 10 seconds. It's more annoying than funny.

It has laughs, for sure, and it never left me to the point of boredom or anything like that. But it just isn't the comedy I hoped it could be. I have confidence Todd Phillips will turn it around and make something really good next time. And Zach Galifianakis will be in more compelling projects in the future. And Robert Downey Jr. will continue to be awesome as Iron Man. Due Date is just a little harmless, forgettable blip on the radar of their careers.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/WGpJUh9j-jU?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/WGpJUh9j-jU?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: Due Date
on Nov 8, 2010 at 6:01:12 pm

Zack Thealphabet was on Bill Maher last week. When asked about how many bad movies he will make in the next few years, now that he is a huge star, he admitted than most of them will likely be awful. At least he admits this.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Due Date
on Nov 8, 2010 at 6:09:08 pm

I liked this movie better whan it was called: "What about Bob's Planes, Trains, and Automobiles?"

Too many copycats and remakes and not enough truly new stuff out there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]