FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
Red
on Oct 25, 2010 at 3:14:31 pm

Saw Red (Retired and Extremely Dangerous) over the weekend, I thought it was a pretty good action comedy. It was probably more action than comedy, though, not that that's a bad thing. It's got some good explosions, some good gunfights, and some good fisticuffs. The cast is obviously a highlight of the film, and they all did a nice job. I especially liked the Mary Louise Parker character and the dynamic she created dealing with the CIA folk. Also thought the non-comedic villain played by Karl Urban was a good addition as well. But, yeah, Malkovich kind of stole the show here as the nutjob. All in all, the cast did a good job making the movie fun when the plot was weak. Overall, Red didn't really accomplish anything new, but it was exciting action that never really got boring, it's definitely worth checking out at some point. It's much better than The Expendables in my opinion (2010's other "old guys kickin butt" movie).

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/e_ZjBJv-rA0?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/e_ZjBJv-rA0?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Re: Red
on Oct 25, 2010 at 7:48:58 pm

I LOVED THIS MOVIE!!! I don't think I've bought a movie since The Return of The King, but I'm definitely buying this one.

The thing about the action for me is that it was hilarious. There were easily more bullets fired in this relatively short movie than anything I've ever seen - many, many more bullets, and frequently for kinda trivial reasons.

I also loved no more than a drop or two of blood and strictly to comic effect, no torture, only gently bad language, no misogyny, and a general good mood. It was really refreshing.

And. Stuff. Blew. Up. Massive, massive delightful explosions.

I also think it's by far the best movie that came from a graphic novel. Think of something like Wanted as a live action novel with a similar pedigree, and STUNK.

("300," "Watchmen," and "V is for Stupid Mask" are different because of the element of fantasy in them...and there only 300 was very good.)

One of my favorite aspects of the graphic novel-ness of it was the love of the frame. Lots of wonderful tableaux, held for a nice long time with verrrrry slow motion to allow time to appreciate just how pretty the composition is.

Loved it.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Oct 26, 2010 at 3:36:54 am

Tim
"V is for Stupid Mask"
LOL!

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Oct 26, 2010 at 8:12:44 pm

[Scott Sheriff] ""V is for Stupid Mask""

I actually couldn't remember what it stood for!! I honestly tried, but rather than look it up, I decided I'd just call it as I saw it. :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]