FORUMS: list search recent posts

Inspired by true events

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Smith
Inspired by true events
on Oct 12, 2010 at 4:02:48 pm

The film trailer for Unstoppable says or it was the movie poster says "Inspired by true events". I thought what, what events? You have to love Google and Wikipedia.

Here is a link to a

. There are serious news stories on it but the funny one is more enjoyable to watch so that is why I put a link for it instead.

With out the internet I would still be thinking...oh yeah, a runaway train...please....like that could happen.

Anyways, because the text isn't "extremely loosely based and blown out of proportion" will we see "Inspired by true events" on more and more movie posters?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Inspired by true events
on Oct 12, 2010 at 5:06:36 pm

Haha, I saw the trailer for Unstoppable at some movie about a month ago, and I couldn't help but laugh. Of all the vehicles to make threatening, why a train...? It really is a laughable premise for a serious action movie, and that real life video was comical in showing how just wacky it really is. "What do we do?" "I don't know... Shoot at it...?" A train just seems like such a controlled element. It reminds me of a line from Wes Anderson's The Darjeeling Limited (which is about a train ride across India) where the characters wake up one morning to find that the train has stopped moving because they got lost, and one off them says "How can a train be lost...? It's on rails..."

I'm sure Hollywood has been loosely basing films for a while on real life incidents that weren't really a big deal, and will continue to do so for marketing reasons. Wasn't The Exorcist based on a small newspaper blurb, that wasn't actually based on anything of substance, then got to use the "based on a true story" line?

At this point, I'm not sure what's worse; basing a film on a minor news event then exaggerating it immensely, or basing an entire film on a single panel newspaper comic:

http://www.collider.com/2010/10/08/the-family-circus-comic-adaptation/

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Inspired by true events
on Oct 12, 2010 at 7:04:43 pm

How does a train get away since they all have dead-man switches to prevent precisely this from happening?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]