FORUMS: list search recent posts

1950's Inception

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
1950's Inception
on Oct 6, 2010 at 2:19:19 pm

This might include a spoiler if you haven't seen the actual movie yet:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/b5EBvRjh63Y?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/b5EBvRjh63Y?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: 1950's Inception
on Oct 6, 2010 at 2:57:42 pm

Nailed the narration style and sound of that era.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Re: 1950's Inception...plus Dracula and Citizen Kane
on Oct 6, 2010 at 4:24:22 pm

Awesome!

My only quibble is that it's more 40s than 50s...if not 30s. Check out this trailer for Dracula, from 1931.

And just for a taste treat, check out this trailer for Citizen Kane! Entirely overblown, egotistical, tasteless, and for all of that, hilarious, and almost entirely intentionally so on every front.

"We hope that it can be called a coming attraction. It's certainly coming."

Check out the gorgeous cinematography from Gregg Toland....as well as the wobbly logo in the gate to open, which Welles was treating as retro way back in 1940.

So, as I said, a bit of a quibble about the LABEL of that Inception trailer...with another tip of the hat to the wonders and delights therein.

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine

My Blog: "Is this thing on? Oh it's on!"

Don't forget to rate your favorite posts!

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Oct 6, 2010 at 7:36:48 pm

Haha I've never seen that Citizen Kane trailer before, that was great! It was so abstractly brilliant. That Orson Wells guy... I think he was ahead of his time...

And I definitely agree that a more appropriate title would have been 1940s Inception or 1930s Inception, because there is no doubt that that is what the trailers of those decades looked like. But to whoever made this video's defense on his choice of title, or at least to his possible justification, I don't think for the most part (there's always exceptions) the style of movie trailers evolved all that much from the 1930s to the 1950s. Check out this trailer from 1954:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/lM1o1xe5FGE?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/lM1o1xe5FGE?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Oct 6, 2010 at 8:35:09 pm

[Scott Roberts] "I don't think for the most part (there's always exceptions) the style of movie trailers evolved all that much from the 1930s to the 1950s."

There really are "ages" for these things- big graphics, VOG voiceovers, pounding music, you're right, they lasted for decades.

I was thinking about this during my great-grandmother's 100th birthday party 15 years ago or so. The music was all Glenn Miller and Sinatra and this other stuff from when she was FIFTY. I'm 50 now, so that would be like my 100th birthday party music was all Eminem and Jay-Z...which wouldn't bother me a bit, but this stuff all kind of smears together looking back...because it frankly all smeared together at the time. I first heard rapping in NY in the 70s. LL Cool J came along in the early 80s, and is considered the first artist in the New School (as distinguished from the Old School).

So really, you've got to go back another 20 years before THAT to get to the music that shaped me. *I* can hear the difference between The Beatles and Public Enemy - but will my great grandkids? They could hear Public Enemy rapping "We bring purpose, love and peace" and not distinguish that from "All you need is love" as "that hippie sh*t that great grandpa likes."

But I digress. To the surprise of nobody.

By 1976, trailers were still doing voiceovers, and still feeling very long and luxuriously edited to my faux-hip fast twitch eyes. This trailer for Dog Day Afternoon is especially interesting to me, because parts of it are paced more slowly than the movie!

"For Sonny and the hostages, it was a...Dog Day Afternoon!"

Peep the "portable" video camera at around 1:10. I can assure you that by the time I started shooting video in 1978, they hadn't gotten any smaller.

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine

My Blog: "Is this thing on? Oh it's on!"

Don't forget to rate your favorite posts!

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Oct 8, 2010 at 3:13:20 pm

Those cameramen look like Ghostbusters!

And there's still hope for your great grandchildren, Tim, because even nowadays there's always that one 22-year-old kid at the party who is really into Muddy Waters' early records.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: 1950's Inception
on Oct 6, 2010 at 4:52:59 pm

That was fun. I love the uneasy shift in music.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]