FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps
on Sep 28, 2010 at 3:07:42 pm

I was about 50/50 on this film. In one way, the human relationships and conflicts among them were entertaining, and often times had me really sucked into the movie. But then the other half of it was just words. Not really compelling dialog, or interesting commentary, or enlightening banter, just pointless words. Frankly, it felt like I was watching CNN more times than it I wanted it to. It got to the point where Wall Street became a teacher in a Charlie Brown cartoon, the characters were just talking at each other, and I didn't know what they were saying. But that might just be me, as I'm not that financially knowledgeable, or that in tune with the specific, excruciating details of the American economy. But I've seen the first Wall Street several times, and other similar films like Boiler Room and Glengarry Glen Ross, and I felt like they all succeeded in talking about the same kinds of topics, but weren't boring about it.

There were some things I liked about it though, mostly the cinematography. Most of the film was shot indoors, but every building had huge, wide-open glass windows looking out onto beautiful background shots of NYC. When the film got boring, at least there was something neat to look at. There were a lot of gimmicky graphics flying on the screen every few minutes or so, like line graphs tracing over skylines, and stock market numbers flying through the city, I don't know if they were 100% necessary, some of them worked, some of them didn't, but I honestly thought it was an interesting choice to even use them at all.

But even more unnecessary than some of the graphics was perhaps the most out-of-place, pointless motorcycle racing scene I may have ever seen in a movie. I get what it tried to do... but, yeah... didn't have to include that, especially that late in the film, with what we already knew about the characters.

The acting was pretty good all around though, they breathed some life into some otherwise boring characters. Gordon Gekko surprisingly doesn't even have that big a role in the main plot of the film, even though he was clearly the most interesting character, and made all the other characters more interesting just by interacting with them.

If they maybe just trimmed 25 minutes of the economic lecturing, this probably would have been a much better film. If I had to give it a number rating out of 10, I'd give it a 5, which is probably a point higher than I thought it would be. I didn't really even want to see Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps all that much, my interest was only lukewarm (I guess just enough to get up and see it), but that's what happens when none of the theaters around me wanted to play Buried...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]