FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hawaii Five-oh-no

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Hawaii Five-oh-no
on Sep 22, 2010 at 4:00:30 pm

Huge fan of the original show, used to watch it as a kid. James Caan's son plays Dan-o in this new version, and steals the show. Grace Park (Battlestar Galactica' "Boomer") is th eeye candy, but so far is under-used. The editing pace is all smash-cuts and the colors are hyped while the gammas are crushed, to get that Action Movie Blockbuster look. You really can't soak up the location footage at all; it's all a blur.

But what I was most disappointed by was that it just isn't the same show though it is trying like heck to trade on the old show's audience appeal. I think it is in the casting: the old show's cops were older guys, very experienced and methodical. The huge curling wave that's the show's visual symbol kind of represented that McGarrett's team was an unstoppable and implacable overscaled force being brought to bear on some crime or event. The crooks don't stand a chance.

The new show has everyone cast very young; I guess for audience identification (ironic considering CBS is the "old person" network), and I don't think they have the same "gravitas" you need fora police procedural. Not that there's much "procedure" in this show. McGarrett at least should have been cast as ten or so years older. The pilot episode also doesn't do a very good job of establishing how the Five-0 force is organized, or what it's hierarchy is in the state police system. I work for governors, and I can tell you, they can't just grant a cop "total immunity and impunity" and "unlimited means" to stop crimes. That's asking me as a viewer to stretch credulity a bit more than what's plausible.

Because I'm a Cubs fan, I'll watch this a few more episodes to give it a chance to shake out the bugs, but it doesn't look very good yet.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Hawaii Five-oh-no
on Sep 22, 2010 at 5:16:23 pm

Scott Caan is really good at playing a sleazeball, he was one of the better parts of a not-so-great Entourage season as well.

I saw some commercials for Hawaii Five-0 last weekend during football (the only time I ever watch CBS), and I just shook my head in disappointment and shrugged my shoulders in confusion. Do these kind of TV remakes ever work? I know they must get viewers initially out of curiosity, but has any of these TV remakes ever lasted more than a season? I actually don't know if any have, I'm legitimately asking, but it doesn't seem like they do. Didn't someone try and bring back Knight Rider last year?

Again, the only time I'm ever exposed to CBS programming is during football game commercials, and I look at all the shows and I wonder how ANYBODY watches this stuff...??? But then they claim that every show is the #1 show in its time slot, so I guess a ton of people watch CBS. I'm probably just far outside the CBS demographic. ABC is the same way. And NBC looks awful to me except for a 2 hour comedy time slot on Thursdays (and most of those shows are going downhill, except Community, which got exponentially better as it went along). FOX appears to be nothing but reality shows now (and Glee, in which I just don't understand the popularity). Haha, I guess I'm just not a big fan of network television. I think I'm good with just HBO, FX, Comedy Central, TBS for their glorious syndicated programming (none of their original programming), Showtime for Dexter, and an occasional degrading visit to the Food Network.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Sep 22, 2010 at 6:00:42 pm

[Scott Roberts] "Do these kind of TV remakes ever work?"

Battlestar Gallactica. The first one was a pleasant joke, the second, one of the all-time greats.

V was/is hokey both times, but both have their charms. The first one had going for it that it was a couple of mini-series and stayed tight, and the current one is already twice as long as those combined, and still doing okaaaay with opening up the storylines.

I haven't seen 5-0 yet - got it DVRed though - but as far as I'm concerned, we're at least 2 out of 3.

Which other ones did you have in mind? I can think of some that made their way to movies, but no other TV shows being remade as TV shows are coming to mind.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 22, 2010 at 6:58:37 pm

This was the second attempt to re-boot H5-0, actually.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Sep 22, 2010 at 7:05:03 pm

Wow, when was that? I didn't see a mention at IMDb....

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 22, 2010 at 7:19:29 pm

[Scott] Do these kind of TV remakes ever work? I know they must get viewers initially out of curiosity, but has any of these TV remakes ever lasted more than a season?

Good question...can we cheat?

American Idol and the office where originally British TV shows remade for the American market.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Sep 22, 2010 at 7:22:27 pm

Knight Rider - 2008 - Canceled after 1 season
The Fugitive - 2000 - Canceled after 1 season
Melrose Place - 2009 - Canceled after 1 season
The Bionic Woman - 2007 - Canceled after 1 season (actually just 9 episodes)
Dragnet - 2003 - Canceled after 1 season
Twilight Zone (on UPN!) - 2002 - Canceled after 1 season

and ABC is in the process of remaking Charlie's Angels - soon to be canceled after 1 season

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Dec 14, 2010 at 11:41:59 pm

Scott,
"and ABC is in the process of remaking Charlie's Angels - soon to be canceled after 1 season"

When I worked for Fox they were looking for product to expand the schedule, and had Spelling Productions go around the country hosting open auditions for "Angels '88". An update of the original show, with 4 girls. They did finally cast 4 women for this, but it never got off the ground. Next season in the first version of the fall demo, they hyped "Angels '89", but in subsequent versions of the demo, this show wasn't mentioned.

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 22, 2010 at 8:25:18 pm

American Idol and The Office where originally British TV shows remade for the American market.

Stephen Smith

As were All In The Family, Sanford & Son (Steptoe & Son) and The Lucy Show (Life Without George).

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 22, 2010 at 8:27:21 pm

It was a Cannell project in 1997:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0948096/

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Sep 22, 2010 at 7:28:07 pm

It's all in the execution.

Look at BSG. The concept was almost exactly the same - man-made robots try to kill what's left of their makers - a rag tag bunch of fighter jocks with a fearless leader gives it their all to save humanity.

The late 70's series did the best it could given the late 70's tv genre's habit of being poorly written, poorly acted and composed mostly of eye candy and velour. Sounds like the new H-5-0 is taking this idea too far - but I have not seen it yet.

Then the BSG reboot was by all account brilliant, taking the same basic concept and making it almost documentary like in its realism (a space documentary - will have to remember that idea (speaking of which, there is a little seen black and white documentary style cut of Star Wars - Lucas was well trained in the documentary arts)).

Next look at V. I had fond memories of the early 80's miniseries, but as an adult I realized that it was, actually pretty poorly acted. But the concept and execution by 1982 standards were something new. We like seeing something new on tv - it is a rarity nowadays. That is perhaps why LOST was such a sensation - it was no Fantasy Island, (although it would have been extra special if Morgan Fairchild or Mr Rourke himself made a cameo - not really).

I was initially critical of the 2010 V - but having now watched the whole first season, it is both something old and something new and pretty good for what it is. It has the spirit of the original but is done in a new way, to appeal to current tv audiences (sorry Mark, Tim and me, but current tv audiences are younger than us).

Will there ever be a sci fi show with the level of acting and overall feel of a non-scifi tv drama? BSG - already come and gone and a tough act to beat.

Knight Rider. Loved it as a kid, but same deal. As a grown up, you watch an episode on TBS and realize that aside from the technology, the show was poorly written poorly acted and very much done in the style of everything else of that era - which was ok for that era of course.

The new version (2009 version, not the short lived series of the mid 90's) had the technology and pretty bad everything else. Perhaps it was paying homage but more likely, it was simply a bad execution. They had the budget for effects and hardware but not writers or actors.

Some time it would be interesting to see proper actors giving a complete Oscar worthy performance to truly silly material - Knight Rider, starring Russell Crowe - I'd pay to see that.

Ok, this thread is fun.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Sep 22, 2010 at 7:35:24 pm

"Some time it would be interesting to see proper actors giving a complete Oscar worthy performance to truly silly material - Knight Rider, starring Russell Crowe - I'd pay to see that."

Leonardo DiCaprio as... MacGuyver
Robert DeNiro as... Walker Texas Ranger
Edward Norton and Benecio Del Toro in... CHiPs

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 22, 2010 at 8:02:28 pm

Jason Statham in Knight Rider would have been cool. Especially the one episode where the Evil Michael Knight is the same person as the good Michael Knight. The only way you can tell them apart is by the evil goatee.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 22, 2010 at 8:28:43 pm

I don't understand why Glee is so popular but Cop Rock wasn't.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 22, 2010 at 8:38:18 pm

Been watching and DVR'ing the old H-5-0 reruns and it is amazing the big-name and no-names-that-became-names guest-stars that the show featured every week. Saw one where Ricardo Montalban played a Japanese yakuza lord. With his Spanish accent.

Woah.

Being a freak for all things tiki and Polynesian, I also watch for the stock footage and location photography of the Hawaii of that era. Some pretty cool stuff there but if you blink you'll miss it. There wre a few episodes set in night clubs and the entertainers are always imitating Don Ho, including his actual songs. Bobby Vee cameos doing "Night Life, It's My Life" and "I'll Remember You" were pretty much the whole song.

Also, any episode with Steve fighting the Chinese super-spy "Wo Fat" has to be awesome. I'll bet you that particular bit will make a come-back in the new show.

After Five-O went into re-runs, some promoter packaged the episodes with a new title, to make the show seem fresh. They called the re-run series: "McGarrett". Oy.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 22, 2010 at 9:32:59 pm

See, I don’t remember how the genesis episode of the original went, as I was only about eight at the time, but how *I* would approach the new show is:

it starts with McGarrett as a middle-aged tough as nails Naval Intelligence officer, doing one last case before retiring, working on the case of Chinese superspy/ terrorist/assassin Wo Fat. He has to work with the governor, state police, and local Hawaiian police in his quest to stop Wo Fat's big plan.

They build a task force of young guns and local experts for this, out of which the various team members are assembled, and the group dynamic evolves, and we get a basic 2-hour spy movie out of it, but in the last third, the principals look at the task force they've built, and decide "hey, be a shame to disband this now that it's all set up, brah - got so many other problems we could apply it to", so they decide to fold it into the state police, in a controversial and provisional move by the Governor and Attorney General that means the team must always be on their toes with spotless reputations.

The name "five-oh" in my treatment evolves as part of some administrative code heading, like "Task Force Five, case zero", that comes from some kind of naval intelligence paperwork used on the case, or it is an HR classification of "highest rank in the five-level chain of command" for the administrative bookkeeping knobs, and its just something they stumble into using as the "five-0" Unit guys becomes a shorthand nickname for their group.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]