FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advances

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sarah Gray
Advances
on Aug 26, 2010 at 3:43:32 am

Films have come a long way as far as technology. The other day, I was watching a cartoon that was made in 1989, and was thinking about how far technology has come. Comparing something as simple as an earlier cartoon movie, to something that came out recently is mind blowing! With the way technology is growing, I feel that television/movies will be a thing of the past. I hope that this isn't the case, but I am curious to see what other people think or feel about this issue.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Advances
on Aug 26, 2010 at 1:59:07 pm

Movies out doing their predecessors has been a part of film making since the beginning. I could only imagine people's thoughts when sound and color came out. I can see people saying, "I'll never watch a silent film again, these talkies are so much better." The funny thing is, we are talking old movies that people won't watch because they are "old" and re-making them. I don't know, those are my random thoughts...just saw part of ID4 and who, those SFX where not as good as I remember them. Looks like we need to remake ID4. Maybe with walkie talkies instead of lasers.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Aug 26, 2010 at 2:25:37 pm

Setting out to remake a movie just to use better technology results in Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes, which many believe to have been terrible. You remake a movie because it means something to the filmmakers and you update the story or setting to be more contemporary, or you pay homage. But focusing only on effects and other technical things makes it a technical project.
Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 26, 2010 at 2:34:05 pm

I agree Mike. I guess I needed to add the little smily face next to the ID4 comment. If we learned anything form ID4 and Jurassic Park it is that if Jeff Goldblum predicts something bad is about to happen, you better listen.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Aug 26, 2010 at 4:10:32 pm

[Sarah Gray] "With the way technology is growing, I feel that television/movies will be a thing of the past."

I think the opposite will be true. Technology is changing in ways that are expanding the choices of programming and putting filmmaking tools into the hands of anyone.

Of course content is king - you can shoot a really bad movie with a RED or a really good movie with a Handycam.

Many conversations on the COW follow this theme. Learn technology, but don't forget the story.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 26, 2010 at 4:20:30 pm

Mike,
I think ID4 goes along with that. I remember seeing it in the theater and being blown away. I thought it was the coolest movie I have ever seen. When it came out on VHS my family bought it and I remember watching it for the second time. This time I've seen all of the SFX and I was focusing on the story. It was no longer the best movie I've ever seen. A matter of fact, I think that VHS tape only got watched once. As you said, content is king. A great story goes a long ways.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 26, 2010 at 8:09:22 pm

If your fears were true, nobody today would make the effort to see Casablanca or Metropolis or The Gold Rush. But we do watch those old black and white and even silent movies, in the year 2010, again and again. Why? Because they are GOOD. So good that appreciating them is not limited by their technology level.

Why do we go look at 300 year old paintings of scenery in museums, when a digital camera today can grab a portrait of the same location that's way more accurate, heck, even 3-d? Because the painting is more than a mere recording of an image; it is Art. Art doesn't ever go out of style. Only cr*p does.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 26, 2010 at 8:49:48 pm

Mark,
Maybe I run with the wrong crowds. One of my favorite movies is Charade. I love that movie and recommend it to everyone. I have never met a person my age who has seen it and then when I recommend it they seem interested until I tell them it is a 60's movie.

People will always watch old films. That is why my wife and I set up a Netflix account, it was for their selection of old films. What I am saying is I feel there is a portion of the population that has no interest in films created before they where born. Just my random thoughts. Also, I love your quote, "Art doesn't ever go out of style. Only cr*p does." So true.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]