FORUMS: list search recent posts

Your favorite movie(s) about the video business?

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Your favorite movie(s) about the video business?
on Aug 25, 2010 at 3:31:15 pm

I probably forgot a few but here I will make a list, in no particular order, of the first ones that come to mind, for me:

"UHF"-The way you wish public access was
"Wayne's World"-captures the spirit of local access people
"Broadcast News"-fairly authentic as these things go
"Max Headroom" -remarkably prescient
"Network"-practically none of this movie is fictional any more

I didn't care for "Anchorman" much, but it did remind me of those days when the air staff all wore matching blazers.

What movie do you feel best/accurately portrays our profession? Any recent or contemporary movie that more or less "gets it right"?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Your favorite movie(s) about the video business?
on Aug 25, 2010 at 3:42:59 pm

I worked in News for a short time and loved "Groundhog Day". One of my favorite parts is when the camera man (Larry) is hitting on a women and he says something like, "People think all I do is just hit the record button. But, it is so much more complicated then that."

Believe it or not we had a person call the place I currently work and ask for a job. When he was asked about what experience he had he basically said how hard can it be to point a camera and hit record.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Aug 25, 2010 at 4:48:03 pm

I too was going to say Grounhog day, at leasy about news. The story Bill Murray was covering is fluff. Even when something horrible happens in the world, local news always includes fluff at the end of the show. When it is celebrity gossip, it is really silly because gossip is now available 24/7. But it is still common for the 11pm news teaser to read:

"Coming up on eyewitness news. The moon crashes into the earth, killing 1 billion people...a car bomb in Iraq destroys a school...President Obama outlaws juice boxes...and Linsay Lohan learns to read - you won't want to miss that!"

Another media biz movie is EdTV and Truman Show - two movies that could have been the same movie, which really predicted the reality show craze we are now living with. In the mid 90's David Lynch predicted that in the near future TV would be nothing but talk shows and reality shows.

I am surprised no one has done a movie about making a Survivor-like show.

Speaking of which, I like watching Survivorman because it is much about video production an austere settings as it is about surviving in the wilderness. In the new show from the same guy, he traveled around the world to interact with indigenous tribes, shooting on EX3's and spending nearly all available time between shooting backing up files to multiple hard drives.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 25, 2010 at 4:55:38 pm

Two more I just rmemebered: The movie "The TV Set", starring David Duchovny and Ioan Gruffud, which is about the tribulations of a show-runner shepherding his very personal and autobiographical story idea for a series into the pilot stage. Funny, cynical, and accurate.

HBO had a movie they made called "Glory! Glory!" About a televangelist charlatain who freaks out and questions, well... everything... when she performs an actual miracle during one of her shows. Really well-done miniseries movie.

The Fox TV series "Action!" was a Tv series (on DVD now)about the movie making business, but shares a lot of DNA with the TV production business.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 25, 2010 at 4:57:12 pm

Okay, here is another. Bowfinger. It was a good movie, not great with filmmaker jokes. I love how they make a movie with an actor who doesn't know they are making a movie. (SPOILER) The best scene is at the end when they are filming there new movie and you see the camera crew in the mirror.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Ron Gerber
on Aug 25, 2010 at 9:35:09 pm

I have to add "Tapeheads" with John Cusack & Tim Robbins to the list. It's basically everything that could go wrong when starting a video production company.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 26, 2010 at 1:30:48 am

"You'll do it for free. On spec!"

Return to posts index

Adrian Jans
on Aug 26, 2010 at 6:52:52 pm

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Adaptation, or Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Aug 30, 2010 at 3:27:04 pm

I've got to say it, and I mean it with all seriousness possible - Boogie Nights.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Aug 30, 2010 at 6:57:31 pm

Seconded vote for Bowfinger. An oddly sweet little movie with a vastly underrated performance by Eddie Murphy. The Heather Graham character is supposedly based on Anne Heche.

State and Main is David Mamet's take on what happens when Hollywood invades a small town. Not as corrosive as his usual approach - a genuine comedy - but with the expected elevated language and razor-sharp performances and direction. Nice small part for Alec Baldwin, who of course KILLED in Mamet's Glengarry Glen Ross.

Living in Oblivion is a classic of indie cinema sez me, about one day in the making of an indie film with no budget. The first (major-ish) lead performances from Steve Buscemi and Katherine Keener. Memorable supporting turn by Peter Dinklage in his screen debut. (Drop what you're doing and see The Station Agent if you haven't.)

Another memorable supporting performance from James LeGros, in a hilarious send-up of Brad Pitt, with whom the director Tom DiCillo had an awful experience working with on his previous film, Johnny Suede. (Totally worth checking out. The only other "name" actor is Tina Louise!) Best-ever look at what can happen when the talent wants to be, uhm, overly collaborative...if not call the shots altogether. You'll definitely relate.

Amazing bit in this movie: a sequence at the end where they're trying to get 60 seconds of room sound, which takes a couple of tries of course. It may be the first time I've seen 60 seconds played out in real time in a movie, and it feels shockingly long.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]