FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Games to Movies

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Smith
Video Games to Movies
on Aug 23, 2010 at 2:01:34 pm

With Resident Evil and Prince of Persia coming out this year I was thinking about video games turned into movies. Anyways, my favorite game was Golden Eye. It had sweet four player action and had my friends and I entertained up way late into the night for many nights. I hope they turn that into a movie :-)

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
Re: Video Games to Movies
on Aug 23, 2010 at 2:06:32 pm

Funny.

We had a thread a while back about how the cinematic quality of video games is giving a movies a run for their money.

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Louis McLellan
on Aug 24, 2010 at 3:50:36 am

All I know is that they need quit letting Uwe Bol make them. as a kid I used like the Super Mario Bros.

Editor, Sound Designer, Stop-Motion Animator, Lighting, and Pack Mule

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 25, 2010 at 2:20:50 pm

The old board game "Battleship" is in development as a movie. I know, crazy.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Aug 25, 2010 at 2:31:57 pm

Are we going to hear "you sunk my battleship" in the trailer?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 25, 2010 at 3:22:20 pm

Do it in Russian, re-make "Potempkin" in a period style.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Aug 30, 2010 at 3:02:50 pm

There are two problems with making video games into movies.

They either take a fun game to play with no substantial story, then try to add a story, which always fails. Such as:

Super Mario Bros
Street Fighter
Mortal Kombat
House of the Dead
Doom

Which is also why ANY movie based on a board game will have a 99% chance of not being good, or just be completely different and only use the name as a money making tie-in.

Or they take a game that is 20+ hours of game play, has a nice (and often complex, hence the 20+ hours of game play) story, and try to dumb it down to fit in a two hour movie, and often substitute most of the game's story for the urge to just jam as much "cool" special effects as they can (which often are not as cool as they are in the actual game). Such as:

Resident Evil
Alone in the Dark
Tomb Raider
Silent Hill
Prince of Persia
Max Payne

I think I have yet to see a video game movie that was actually cool. That's weird though, because I've played most of the games that get made into major movies, and the games themselves are all pretty awesome...! Video game movies just seem like they are in a hole of lameness that no one will be able to dig out of. I do agree with Stephen that the Nintendo 64 Goldeneye game was one of the most fun games of all time, but that was based on the Goldeneye movie, so I don't really count it as a win for the video game/movie connection.

Oh yeah, I guess there is a third major problem with video game movies as Louis pointed out, they keep giving control of these movies to Uwe Bol. Does he even make money off of them? He must do all of the funding himself.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Aug 30, 2010 at 4:24:37 pm

I am still waiting for the following movies to be made:

ET - based upon the beloved Atari game of the early 80's. I am sure everyone is familiar with the story here - the game was so bad that all remaining copies of the cartridge were buried in the desert. This was documented in a music video:

Lemonade Stand - based upon the first game I ever played on a computer - The Apple II. There was actually an arcade version of Lemonade Stand consisting of an Apple II encased in plexiglass in a coin-operated stand up console.

Zaxxonn - possibly TRON takes care of this game which looked a lot like TRON

Moon Patrol - this was a fun game. Actually, parts of the movie Moon resemble this game. See Moon first chance you get.

Q-Bert (I think there was a Saturday morning cartoon, just after Pac Man)

Asteroids - the classic vector graphics game

Zork - see the link below to see just how fantastic this game was. We used to play in in our 8th grade home room

Mike Cohen

Medical Education / Multimedia Producer

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 30, 2010 at 5:22:15 pm

" GREETINGS, STARFIGHTER!!!!"

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Sep 20, 2010 at 11:27:52 pm

Un-related, but it has to do with video games. I loved the documentary King of Kong. What a great film, the filmmakers did such a great job of story telling that even someone who doesn't care about old video games can get sucked into the story.

--Spoiler---
For those who have seen it then you will love this update:
http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/216625/steve-wiebe-once-again-the-king-...

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]