FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Roberts
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
on Aug 16, 2010 at 2:20:31 pm

"We are Sex Bob-Omb and we are here to make you think about death and get sad and stuff! ONE TWO THREE FOUR"

Blew my already high expectations away. On my way out of the theater, I made the quick realization that this was my favorite movie of the year.

I'm not sure it's for everybody, but Scott Pilgrim catered to me in so many ways that it seemed impossibly brilliant. I'm near the same age as the main character, the film is heavily loaded with video game references I grew up with, I listen to indie music, and I can relate to the type of love and heartbreak cleverly dealt with in the movie. Aside from not playing in a band, I felt very relatable to the character of Scott Pilgrim, even in the area of being a selfish jerk, which is explored in fun detail. It's definitely catered to the perspective of a young, immature guy. And in that regard, a flaw may be that the story is probably pretty shallow, much like most young, immature guys.

I could see why someone would not like the film, or at least not think it's all that amazing, but I get the feeling like this will be a film that will be remembered for years to come by a very loyal fan base. I mean, it already has a loyal fan base for the comics.

The editing on this movie was insane, so much stuff goes on in such a short period of time, it's incredible. Seamlessly insane transitions from scene to scene are done brilliantly. Even though the film is technically episodic, the way it all flows together makes it seem like one smooth, ADD-infused vision. And just visually speaking, the effects are great, and didn't come across hokey or tiresome to me. From Zelda hearts to pixelated swords to 8-bit music, if you love the references you will probably love the fact they are joyfully inserted into the movie in heavy doses. It's a hipster's delight.

The music was also a great part of the movie. Scott Pilgrim's band, Sex Bob-Omb (an awesome band name/video game reference) was supposed to be a crappy band in the movie, but I actually thought they were pretty good! I guess Beck created the music for Sex Bob-Omb, I'm not sure who created the music for the other fake bands, but I was digging it all. I also give +1 to any film that features T.Rex on the soundtrack. Between going to Lollapalooza a week ago and now seeing Scott Pilgrim over this past weekend, I'm feeling overwhelmed with awesome indie music to listen to! And never before, or again, will a battle of dueling bass players look so cool on film.

And since Michael Cera was brought up last week, I will say that he did the best job he's ever done in Pilgrim. He plays a character with a little more confidence, a lot more initiative, and is far less awkward than usual. In other words, I think this movie will make a lot of people change their minds about Michael Cera. Sure some of the familiar, mumbling mannerisms are there (because I think that's just how he is), but he was definitely the best I've ever seen him in this movie.

I actually got sad once I realized that the movie was nearing it's end, because I probably would have sat there and enjoyed a 3 hour Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. I ate this movie up. If you want some nerdy, sarcastic humor at a lightning pace (and some decent "white guy kung-fu"), this is the thing to see. I'm saddened that it did so poorly at the box office, but I'll be helping its cause $8 at a time, as I definitely plan on seeing it again sometime in the middle of this week!

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/J5fu_TpPBek?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/J5fu_TpPBek?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Return to posts index

Louis McLellan
Re: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
on Aug 17, 2010 at 6:10:51 am

Due to working on my own film, work, my wife, and pet rabbit, I did not get a chance to see it What you have told me make me really want to see this movie.

Editor, Sound Designer, Stop-Motion Animator, Lighting, and Pack Mule

Return to posts index

Adrian Jans
on Aug 23, 2010 at 5:20:40 pm

I walked away from Scott Pilgrim with pretty much the exact same feelings Scott Roberts did. My face had a goofy smile plastered over it for the entire duration of the movie. The lightning fast pace the movie delivered its humor made the 2 hour run time go by in a breeze, and in my opinion is an example of how to really use the 5 second rule (something I've never been a fan of, because a lot of movies seem to think it means they don't have to put thought into the composition of their shots).

Michael Cera was great, and I think a lot of people around here are too hard on him, but the real star of the show was Edgar Wright.

I have no idea how other people will receive this movie though, because it was so clearly tailor made for the demographic I belong to. Has anyone who wasn't the target audience seen this movie? What did you think?

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Sep 7, 2010 at 4:16:23 pm

Haha, based on the box office numbers, I don't think anyone outside of the target demographic actually did see Scott Pilgrim. And that's quite sad to me. I'm sure it will gain some running shoes on DVD. It's making all the right moves to become a great cult film!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 15, 2011 at 3:07:41 pm

Watched Scott Pilgrim again and really enjoyed it. I noticed stuff I missed the first time...such as the first battle of the band/first fight, I never noticed that the other band got hit by a ball of fire and turned to skeletons so that is why they won. There are so many great lines in that movie it would be really hard to pick a favorite. However, I think every action movie needs to have the bad guy swallow their gum when they get punched and then spit it out after they get pummeled.

Did the director of the film love the Smashing Pumpkins?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]