FORUMS: list search recent posts

Movies that Get Better as they Play

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Cohen
Movies that Get Better as they Play
on May 6, 2009 at 7:25:07 pm

This thread will discuss movies that, when you first start watching, you think "This is boring" or "This is the Oscar nominee?" but after about 1/3 to 1/2 way through, things either change radically or for whatever reason you suddenly are hooked.
I suppose the 3 act structure has something to do with this, however the first act should at least keep your attention.

Recently I saw Revolutionary Road. My first thought was "Kate and Leo together again - no thanks." But I went to see it anyway given the positive writings in the various trade mags and an interview with the writer. The film is beautifully photographed, but initially the acting felt like I was watching a stage play - lots of hand gestures and shouting. But then when the plot picked up and the characters starting spinning into new and unexpected directions, I was indeed hooked.

So, anyone else have an example of a film that initially is not doing anything for you, but as it plays it draws you in?

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Ramona Howard
Re: Movies that Get Better as they Play
on May 6, 2009 at 8:22:21 pm

This happened to me with Fight Club. I thought what a piece of crap and almost got up and left the room. Thank god I didn't, what a great flick, that is if you can get past all the violence.

I enjoy a movie that is just a bit out there on the edge, and this one certainly was.

Ramona

funny story:
At our last demo there were about 15 people standing in a circle around a RED rig. Jason walked into the group and says, "first rule of fight club is, we don't talk about fight club". Of course we all laughed because it was so fitting :)

Play hard today, it may be raining tomorrow!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on May 6, 2009 at 9:03:15 pm

Mike,

Very few movies start poorly and end up winning me over. There are movies with potential, on which I didn't take the big hike out of the theater, but most of those have left me far from satisfied in the end.

On the other hand, I have seen many movies that have started as simple character driven stories, such as The Queen and Nixon Frost, which manage to evolve into masterpieces about the complexities of relationships and human nature. But, for the most part, few of these started poorly and then became winners. And, I think filmmakers who don't win the audience over very quickly make a huge mistake.

David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Blane Pierce
on Jul 20, 2009 at 12:40:09 am

I totally concur with adding Nixon Frost to this list. Went to see this at the theatre with my dad and was yawning through the first third of the movie and resenting that I dragged my father into it. Once the interview scenes and the Frost financal aspect kicked in, it was very riveting and we both walked out very satisfied.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]