FORUMS: list search recent posts

Putting Files Back on Disc

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tiernan O'Rourke
Putting Files Back on Disc
on May 13, 2015 at 8:43:36 am

Hello,
I'm trying to put a finished video back onto XDCAM disc for a client. I don't have a U1 but I was wondering is there a way to put it on by dragging the file into the clip folder but it tells me I don't have access, just access to the general and subfolder. I edit with avid media composer 6 and the camera is a PDW f330. I have a friend who does this often with the PDW f700 often but I can't figure it out. I heard the camera dosen't have firewire in but when I was able to drag files into the General and Sub folder I started to wonder.

Thanks!
Tiernan O'Rourke

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: Putting Files Back on Disc
on May 13, 2015 at 7:15:55 pm

Yes, this is possible. It may be that you don't have the FAM driver installed or you don't have the 'Free Naming' function turned on. In the operational menu, set 'Naming Form' to 'Free'. This allows you to write files to the disc that don't have generic (c0001, c0002 etc) file names. As far as copying files to the disc it is format-agnostic until the first clip is written. So if you are using a blank, newly formatted disc you can write any file to it that the camera will accept (XDCAM 35 Mb 1080 60i, XDCAM 35 Mb 1080 30p etc). After the first clip is placed on the disc it will only accept files in that specific XDCAM format unless you go into the maintenance menu and enable Mixed Recording.

Return to posts index

Tiernan O'Rourke
on May 13, 2015 at 7:56:30 pm

Lovely stuff, thank you! I can't seem to find the "free naming" option in the operations menu on the 330? Do you have any idea where I have to go to enable it. Thanks again! Tiernan

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on May 13, 2015 at 8:14:39 pm

it's on operational menu page 6, 'File Naming.' press and hold the menu dial to enter the 'top' menu, then browse to this page and set 'naming form' to 'free'. if you don't see this item, check your software version (Top Menu/Diagnosis/ROM Version). free naming was added in package v 1.56. we can provide upgrade files if necessary but please report back your PACKAGE and AT version if you are in fact below 1.56.

Return to posts index

Tiernan O'Rourke
on May 13, 2015 at 8:45:55 pm

Hello again, Thanks for the help. I can't find either of the two things you mentioned in the "top menu". I cannot see anything to do with file naming and when I go into diagnostics there is only a page for "hours meter", "Disc Status" and "Clip Status"? Have you any ideas? Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on May 13, 2015 at 8:54:24 pm

See below or see Ch5 of the ops manual.... Unless you are at a very low firmware version you should see the below. Press and hold the wheel while you switch the menu on.

Return to posts index

Tiernan O'Rourke
on May 13, 2015 at 8:57:52 pm

Thanks. I was able to go into the "top menu" before but I can't see the menu options you are describing? Sorry and thanks again.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on May 13, 2015 at 9:08:28 pm

can you get to OPERATION from TOP?

Return to posts index

Tiernan O'Rourke
on May 13, 2015 at 9:17:56 pm

I can get that far

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on May 13, 2015 at 9:18:38 pm

what submenus do you see? feel free to send a screen shot

Return to posts index

Tiernan O'Rourke
on May 13, 2015 at 9:30:04 pm

Here are a few screenshots of the menus. Thanks

Return to posts index

Tiernan O'Rourke
on May 13, 2015 at 9:32:34 pm

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on May 13, 2015 at 9:42:49 pm

ok, your firmware version is probably very low. Are you able to get to ROM Version from DIAGNOSIS?

Return to posts index

Tiernan O'Rourke
on May 13, 2015 at 9:58:35 pm

All I get when I go into diagnostics is a page for "hours meter", "Disc Status" and "Clip Status"?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on May 13, 2015 at 10:04:08 pm

yes, that's what i expect with older firmware. you'll need to update it to get full functionality although you can try writing the file to the disc with the next available C-name, e.g. C0002.mxf.

to check your version with firmware that old you need to go into the hidden maintenance menu. after executing the below, look for the 'Rom version 1' page and let me know what you see as the main version.

set the WB switch to PRESET. then, simultaneously:

-press/hold the Auto WB switch (under the lens);
-press/hold the Zebra button (note-- must begin in the OFF setting, so that when you do this you are turning the Zebra on and then holding the button in);
-toggle the menu button twice.

Return to posts index

Tiernan O'Rourke
on May 13, 2015 at 10:14:07 pm

This is what I got. Thanks again

Return to posts index

Tiernan O'Rourke
on May 28, 2015 at 9:34:57 pm

Do I need to update the camera then? Thanks

Return to posts index