FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX 10.1.4 - MXF Export & XDCAM optical delivery

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dean Neal
FCPX 10.1.4 - MXF Export & XDCAM optical delivery
on Dec 11, 2014 at 1:10:58 pm

Hi all,

I need to deliver episodic TV content for a National Broadcaster here in Australia that is essentially XDCAM HD422 in optical disc media to Network.

That's fine (as much of our content is acquired in this format) and I have performed test exports in the past using Sony's Content Browser, exporter.

Interestingly, the Network now support flat file delivery with the MXF OP1a container - but would rather deliver XDCAM Optical in this particular instance.

My question now is with the new OP1A MXF support in FCPX 10.1.4:

- Should we still use the Content Browser, exporter for XDCAM Optical Disc Export?
- Do we still need to assign 8 mono tracks (roles) first in the FCPX timeline?
- Can we export directly now to MXF via FCPX and then write it to DISC
- Even better, can we now finally directly export to XDCAM disc (I have a U1 drive) from FCPX?

Dean...

Dean Neal...

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: FCPX 10.1.4 - MXF Export & XDCAM optical delivery
on Dec 11, 2014 at 6:21:16 pm

You no longer need Content Browser unless you want to use it to manually import new .mxf files to the disc. The Op1A support in FCP 10.1.4/ProVideo 2.0 allows you to go right to disc.

Return to posts index

Dean Neal
on Dec 12, 2014 at 1:45:48 am

I can export direct to XDCAM Disc? Really? Can you elaborate for me please?

I can see how it now makes a correctly packaged MXF file but I would have thought you would still need Content Browser Exporter to physically write it to disc.

Dean Neal...

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Dec 12, 2014 at 3:45:15 pm

Yes, you can export straight to disc. All the Content Browser plugin was doing was taking the QuickTime file encoded by FCP X (already in the XDCAM codec), rewrapping it to .mxf and dropping it on the disc or SxS card. Now that FCP can export XDCAM files with an .mxf wrapper you simply point that export to the CLIP folder on the optical disc as you would select any other mounted drive or folder on the system. See images below, which show:

1. Adding the XDCAM/.mxf Compressor presets as 'Share' Destinations (the full version of Compressor is not required).

2. Selecting the newly added .mxf Share destination from the Share menu..

3. The Export/Share window confirming the XDCAM/.mxf settings

4. Selecting the /CLIP folder on the mounted XD disc

5. The new .mxf residing on the disc (the XML is automatically created when new XDCAM files land in /CLIP)

6. Confirmation of the new file in Content Browser

Ian Cook
Sony Broadcast and Professional Services

Return to posts index

Dean Neal
on Dec 13, 2014 at 5:22:27 am

Awesome Ian, thanks!

I did all the rest yesterday but used Content Browser to drag and drop the MXF file onto the Disc.

Seeing that I can directly export to the drive from FCPX is great news.

Just one tip for FCPX / XDCAM users out there...make sure you have your stereo panning set right before export - otherwise you will end up with a mono-master.

Dean Neal...

Return to posts index

Dean Neal
on Dec 13, 2014 at 5:41:47 am

Just one more follow-up Ian...

Some have said because of the way FCPX handles the Audio... I can only get 2-channels of Audio Exported using this method above.

I haven't tested yet... but...

Will this method you have described export successfully out say... a 4-channel mix (2 Dialogue, 2 M&E, 4 Muted) as long as I have the roles defined?

Or will I need to multi-channel export it to Quicktime FIRST and then export it using compressor?

Thanks again!

Dean Neal...

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Dec 15, 2014 at 3:46:33 pm

That is not the case. With the 10.1.4 and ProFormats 2.0 update you get 8 channels (in XDCAM HD422). IT will work for 4 channel XDCAM formats as well.

Return to posts index

gaz marcus
on Jan 6, 2015 at 1:15:09 pm

hi ian

sometimes i see this site....very good and useful information....and is the the first time i'm writing something here...

i'm trying to solve this for a long time....maybe it is a foolish question but....what are the names of the files i have to download in order to install? i tried " XDCAM XAVC FCP X Plugin (PDZK-LT2) " and " SR Plug-in for Mac 1.0.0 "...installed them but nothing appeared in share menu (XDCAM/.mxf Compressor presets )....i did not found in sony site the "XDCAM Browser 2.1 + 3.0 Preview"....i found the " PDZK-LT2 plugin for FCPX"...installed and again nothing...what am i doing wrong?....sorry... i found " XDCAM Browser 2.1" and installed too...nothing....

fcpx 10.1.1
mac os x 10.9.5
2.7 Ghz 12 core intel xeon E5
32 Gb ram

thanks ahead for any help

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jan 6, 2015 at 5:26:11 pm

To export XDCAM .mxf files you need FCP v 10.1.4 and the latest ProVideoFormats update from Apple (both should show up in your Software Update queue).

To import XDCAM .mxf files you need these same versions. Alternately you can use our PDZK-LT2 plugin to import XDCAM and XAVC files. The plugin works in the background and allows the Media Import window to recognize .mxf files.

Return to posts index

gaz marcus
on Jan 6, 2015 at 5:36:31 pm

thanks a lot....i'll try that

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Lonigro
on Mar 24, 2016 at 3:04:59 pm

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. When exporting directly to the Clip folder on the disc. It is mixing my 8 ch to two. How to you export and preserve each audio track A1-A8?

Return to posts index

Kevin Langdon
on May 14, 2016 at 3:48:51 pm

I'm able to export my .mxf file to a SxS card, but then I'm having a problem playing this card in a Sony SxS card player (in a sat truck, for example).
The method I've been told is after exporting an edit from my laptop, take the SxS card and put it back into the Sony camera and update the clip in the menu. This allows me to see the edit in the camera and even play it out of the camera, but if I take the card out and put it in the player, there's nothing there??
If I don't do this and just export to the card from the laptop, the player says there's nothing there.
In Avid, for this to work, you have to do an audio mix down first so there's only two tracks.
Is there something that I'm missing in FCP X on the audio side to enable this export to work properly??
I don't know if Ian Cook can help on this one??

Return to posts index

Dalidá Burgos
on Jun 10, 2016 at 2:36:38 pm

Hi,

I am trying to export from FCPX 10.2.3 MacbookPro to anXDCamHD 1500 with Optical Disk. I have just established the setting as Ian has described. I have 8 mono channels. During the render process, it seems that the disk is being written, the mxf file appears but when it finished, there is nothing, no mxf, no xml.

Any ideas? Thank you.

Dalida

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]