FORUMS: list search recent posts

Better Sony support for disk-based editing?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mitch Jordan
Better Sony support for disk-based editing?
on Nov 26, 2014 at 2:51:36 am

I've looked into the new Sony software: Catalyst Browse and Catalyst Prepare. It seems to me that Sony is concentrating on supporting file-based workflows off cards and in major productions. However, we invested in Sony disk based cameras a few years ago, and for budget reasons, we'll continue to use disk based media for the foreseeable future. We've used XDCAM Transfer to log our disks and rename the files on the disks to names that we'll use throughout the edit process. However, Sony has dropped support for Transfer. We attempted to adapt to Content Browser, but it really doesn't meet our needs and now it's being replaced as well.

My question to Sony is- can you develop a basic program to still support a disk-based workflow similar to XDCAM Transfer? We only need to log and ingest our footage from disk. We don't need to color correct, backup files, transcode to other formats, storyboard, or any of the other things the newest software offers. That's great for those who need and want that, but what about those of us who invested early in Sony equipment and are now being left behind? We edit on Apple MacPro's. For now, our upgrade plan is to leave one edit bay on Mavericks and everyone will have to share that machine to log and ingest their footage on our last copy of XDCAM Transfer. Not the best solution for us.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: Better Sony support for disk-based editing?
on Nov 26, 2014 at 3:25:36 pm

Not sure I follow. While Content Browser doesn't have an exact 1 to 1 feature parity with XDCAM Transfer (no background processing or multiple subclip import) everything you mention above can be done in Browser. Rewrapping to .mov will be added to the new Catalyst applications shortly. If I can help answer a specific question or get you over a hurdle I'm happy to help.

Return to posts index

Mitch Jordan
on Nov 26, 2014 at 3:33:56 pm

Thank you for your help, Ian. I'd like to be able to rename the clips on the disk. When we log, we change the names on the disk to something that makes sense to us rather than using the camera names. After import, we're able to do finder searches on our macs by clip name, and we have a link back to the original disk if the file gets misplaced. Most of the Sony software seems to only allow us to change the title, so the media would import with camera names and be unsearchable in our file system. I recognize that it's dangerous to rename the clips in a card-based system, but we've had no trouble doing it from the XDCAM disk.

We do use the multiple sub clip import. We get game "melts" where one clip is made up of dozens of shots. We sub clip each shot in the clip so they live independently in our file system.

Finally, we use the rewrap to Quicktime. We've switched to Adobe Premiere Pro, so we can actually edit with the .mxf files. However, rewrapping to Quicktime allows us to do finder searches in the mac.

Return to posts index

steve knattress
on Dec 3, 2014 at 2:39:57 pm

first thing i do is rename the camera optical disc from "untitled" at finder level.

I usually ama using avid media composer from there, usually using a finder level copy of the whole disc. ( each disk has own folder)

usually each disk has c001... etc, but by entering the disc source name using a modify the disc it came from can be identified.

Return to posts index

Mitch Jordan
on Dec 3, 2014 at 4:05:37 pm

We could do the logging at the finder level, but I'm concerned that I would mess up the file structure on the disk. I'm not concerned with changing the disk name, but I am concerned with renaming the clips. Also, there is no native support for .mxf files on the mac so we can't see them in the finder to log them. We could get third party software to read .mxf files, but now it's really starting to get messy where it was very simple in XDCAM Transfer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]