FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cloning XDCAM Discs?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Shott
Cloning XDCAM Discs?
on Oct 8, 2014 at 10:52:49 pm

Hey everyone,

Is it possible to clone XDCAM discs on a Mac using two PDW-U1/2s? Everything I've found on the topic said it wasn't possible, but all of the articles were from 2011 or earlier. Has anything been released in the past few years to make this process possible?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: Cloning XDCAM Discs?
on Oct 9, 2014 at 5:14:52 pm

Frankly your post frightens me a little as this has always been possible and very easy to do. There was a brief period of a couple of months when the U1 first came out where we didn't have a USB driver for the Mac (it was delayed) and the U1 was rendered read-only but beyond that this has always been very easy to do.

The simplest way to clone a disc is to copy the high-res .mxf files from the \Clip folder on one disc to the \Clip folder on another disc. You do not need to copy the XMLs or proxy files; they will be automatically generated when the .mxfs land in \Clip.

You can use Content Browser to do this as well-- highlight the first U1/U2 in one of the navigation windows and then drag the thumbnails from the drive to another connected U1/U2.

Alternately if you only had one drive you could copy the clips to your Mac and then drag them to \Clip on a seconds disc.

Let me know if you run into problems making this work.

Ian Cook
Sony Broadcast and Professional Services

Return to posts index

steve knattress
on Dec 3, 2014 at 2:44:46 pm

I usually copy ( after rename) my xdcam optical disc from U2 onto a drive before accessing by avid ama.

( I can then continue editing whilst the transfer happens in the background)
Yes I know MC7 has background transcode and consolidate but we won't go there ;-)

At present I transfer the whole disc, what is the minimum I need for Ama to work, i find that it doesn't if i just transfer the high res clip folder.

Thanks Steve

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Dec 3, 2014 at 6:12:15 pm

For AMA volume/folder linking to work you need a mediapro.xml file and a /CLIP folder. These are what the plugin is looking for. If you don't have these you don't have a virtual disc and need to link the files using the 'XAVC/XDCAM *mxf' option.

Return to posts index

steve knattress
on Dec 4, 2014 at 3:27:57 pm

Thanks i missed out the mediapro file when i was copying to a fast drive, so I copied everything
It didn't take much longer but every little helps. :-)

Im on an older MBP with USB2 is there much difference when using a U2 with USB3 or is most time taken accessing the optical drive?

S

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Dec 4, 2014 at 6:24:04 pm

You will still get around 220-240 Mbps. The spinning disc is still a bit of a bottleneck although the dual heads on the U2 improve read speed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]