FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing MXF file into FCP7 with Content Browser Error

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ahilan Ratnamohan
Importing MXF file into FCP7 with Content Browser Error
on Oct 6, 2014 at 9:00:56 pm

Hi,

I've been given footage by a cameraman which has an MXF file, which I really need to get into FCP7. I followed advice on this thread: https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/8/1185552#reply_box and realised I might have a chance using Content Browser to import the file into FCP7 (as he was using a F5 or F55 Sony camera not supported by FCP7)

I've now installed Content Browser and gotten as far as viewing the files, but each time I attempt to import I get one of two errors. Either

'A clip that cannot be imported into Final Cut Pro is included. This clip may be incorrect of corrupted'

or

'Failed to import the clip. Reason: the same clip exists. Clip name ....MXF'

Am I doing something wrong or will I not be able to import the clip like this?
The cameraman made his own conversion for me (using AVID, to .MOV) which I could view using VLC, but wouldn't work with FCP7, so I don't think the file is corrupt.

NOTE: I'm not so well versed in the technical side, I'm usually just using FCP to do simple edits for theatre documentation

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: Importing MXF file into FCP7 with Content Browser Error
on Oct 6, 2014 at 9:44:17 pm

Content Browser v 2 should be able to handle the files if they are in fact XDCAM files. Are you sure they are not XAVC? Look in the metadata panel in Content Browser and double check the codec info. Also make sure you are using Browser v 2.30. It comes with a 30 day trial so you should not have to purchase it.

Are the files in a disc image or on a card (i.e. all bundled together with their original metadata)? Or do you have loose .mxf files? If you are able to get this far you should have at least a copy of the card.

If it is in fact XAVC it's not supported in 7 but can be imported into X.

Return to posts index

Ahilan Ratnamohan
on Oct 7, 2014 at 6:02:35 pm

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your help.

Actually I am not sure if they are XDCAM files or not - and sadly when I tried to install Content Browser 2.0 it wouldn't let me trial it. I am not sure if this is because I already had version 1 installed?

The files were given to me in the XDROOT folder, as they appeared on the card.

The cameraman had originally used AVID to convert the MXF file to MOV - which didn't work with FCP7 - I'm wondering if it is simply a case of him using different export settings. To be honest, the quality isn't massively important (he used a better camera than expected and this will probably only ever be viewed online). I think my other option at this moment might be to find someone with FCPX and ask them to export/convert it.

Cheers,

Ahil

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Oct 7, 2014 at 6:06:42 pm

FCP X Should be able to import the .movs.

Browser should install and give you a 30 day trial unless you have already run through a trial on V2. If it completes the install, it should launch and warn you that you have a 30 days.

XDROOT is an XDCAM folder so these are probably XD files.

Return to posts index

Ahilan Ratnamohan
on Oct 7, 2014 at 7:04:34 pm

Ok, nothing seems to be working for me :(

FCP X could not recognize the files, the neither the .MXF nor the converted .MOV....

and when I'm installing Content Browser 2, as soon as I click on trial it's sending me to a screen requiring me to register a serial, I'm then somehow landing in Content Browser (the serial page never actually arrives), but as was happening with Content Browser 1, I am getting the messages I mentioned above.

So my question now is, if the cameraman re-exports using AVID, is there any setting which he will be able to use so that I can view it FCP7??

Thanks

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Oct 7, 2014 at 8:09:41 pm
Last Edited By Ian Cook on Oct 7, 2014 at 8:10:26 pm

FCP X will recognize xdcam .mxf files only if the PDZKLT2 plugin is installed. This performs a function similar to what Browser does (rewrapping to .mov) but it does it within FCP. You can download the plugin at http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/pdzk-lt2 .

Content Browser does not require you to click on anything to start the trial. If it installs, the trial starts. If you are clicking on something that says trial it's probably for the advanced feature pack. If you can launch CB and move around the UI, it is installed and working.

Check the inspector for those .movs. If they show XDCAM HD as the format you should absolutely be able to open them. If you can't, make sure you don't have any codec updates from Apple sitting in your Software Update queue. The codec support comes from Apple in the form of periodic Pro Application Support updates.

Return to posts index

zahir naqvi
on Oct 29, 2014 at 10:26:46 am

Hello Friends i have shot with sony pmw 200 camera and my recording format was UDF/1280x720/50p but now i am not able to impote it on fcp please some help me how to import it on fcp

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]