FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Sony applications for XDCAM, XAVC, SR, NXCAM and RAW

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Cook
New Sony applications for XDCAM, XAVC, SR, NXCAM and RAW
on Sep 30, 2014 at 6:24:16 pm
Last Edited By Ian Cook on Sep 30, 2014 at 8:32:00 pm

As some of you may have seen we are announcing the release of some new applications for our file based cameras. These applications will eventually replace the existing Content Browser, Raw Viewer and SR Viewer applications.

The applications are Catalyst Browse and Catalyst Prepare.

Catalyst Browse is free, available now and and offers the following:

-Browsing/viewing (with support for zooming, anamorphic, full screen, audio meters and channel routing)
-Copy/delete
-Transcode to XAVC, H.264, Pro Res (Mac Only), DPX, Open EXR
-Storyboard creation for XDCAM, XAVC, RAW
-Color correction in Rec 709 or S-Log; Video scopes; multiple view patterns (split, side by side, before/after); LUT management/export
-SDI out to external monitors, selectable HD/2k/QFHD/4k
-Direct upload to Sony CI

Catalyst Prepare
will likely be 99.95 or free for anyone who purchased a Content Browser 2 license. This is subject to change.Prepare will add the following:

-MD5 checksumming and additional verification modes
-copy to multiple destinations simultaneously (v 1.1)
-EDL/XML and rendered storyboard export (h.264)
-open format support for GoPro, Canon and other cameras (list TBD)
-Conversion to DnX and rewrapped QT (1.1)
-TC burn and Clip List export to document file

Browse, Prepare and Content Browser can co-exist on the same system. If there are features not in the current versions you can continue to use Content Browser.

Additional features are under discussion. Prepare is still a month away from release but Browse is available now at http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/catalystbrowse . More info on the Catalyst series can be found at http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/catalyst.

We are extremely happy with these new applications. Please discuss, share feedback and otherwise let me know how you like the UI and overall workflow.

As always: pricing, features and release schedule are subject to change. Cheers and thanks as always for supporting Sony..

Return to posts index

Zach Singleton
Re: New Sony applications for XDCAM, XAVC, SR, NXCAM and RAW
on Oct 1, 2014 at 3:37:15 pm

Hi Ian, I had a quick question for you regarding the XAVC codec and future support of it by AVID. I currently work in Post production up in Toronto, and we use the EOS C300 cameras; all of the footage is XDCAM 50Mbps .MXF files that can be directly imported into AVID without using AMA.

Is there any word from AVID or Sony on having direct import functionality added into AVID at some point, where we can Fast Import the XAVC MXF files that the new Sony cameras create? Currently, that is the stumbling block we're hitting with moving forward with the PXW-X70 right now.

Thanks for any info you might have!

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: New Sony applications for XDCAM, XAVC, SR, NXCAM and RAW
on Oct 1, 2014 at 4:13:59 pm

Please start new topics in the existing threads for stuff like this. I need to keep this one down to feedback on the new applications. Too many threads to monitor already...

If you mean File-->Import vs AMA-linking, I do not expect this to change. Avid is moving everything towards AMA and for the most part only legacy formats (incl XDCAM .mxf) can be manually imported. We don;t have a lot of control over this and can only make sure that our AMA plugins are updated to include support for the newer codecs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]