FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rewrap files to mov - Sony PMW-500 and sxs card udf formatted in Windows

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Slobodan Kosanovic
Rewrap files to mov - Sony PMW-500 and sxs card udf formatted in Windows
on Aug 23, 2014 at 10:53:03 pm

Hello,

as title states i have sxs card udf formatted altogether with mentioned camera. Also im not too familiar with cameras overall.

In content media browser plan is to trim recorded footage and export that trimmed footage to storage media to preserve space.

I have found similar thread http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/142/880039 which pretty describes my problems. Basically almost all options for export are grayed out.

On Sony's webpage it is stated that this camera can work in fat mode aswell. If i format it to fat will those grayed out export options become available?

thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: Rewrap files to mov - Sony PMW-500 and sxs card udf formatted in Windows
on Aug 25, 2014 at 1:42:08 pm

1. rewrap to .mov is supported only under Mac OS. you can create trimmed clips and then convert those clips to .mov on a Mac.

2. export options are greyed out when they don;t apply to the source clip. most of the options are for converting EX .mp4 files and don't apply to .mxf files

3. you can trim a clip by marking in/out, right clicking on the thumbnail and selecting 'New Clip From In/Out Section.' this will create a new file with the boundaries you set. you do not use any of the right click export functions for this

Return to posts index

thomas hass
on Sep 4, 2014 at 6:40:26 am

Hi Guys,
I have read your post regarding formatting in Windows. I have the same camera PMW500 and edit on Avid MC 7 on Mac, but cannot write back my timeline to SXS card in an adapter nor straight to the camera.
Any workaround on this? ( i need this to be able to feed via the SDI on the camera)
thanks
Thomas

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Sep 4, 2014 at 4:59:31 pm

you probably don't have the SxS UDF Driver installed. without it the cards mount but are read-only. do a Get Info on the card--does it show that it is read-ony? note that this only applies to UDF-formatted cards. FAT-formatted cards don't require a driver unless you are using an Express Card slot..

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/sxsudfdriver

Return to posts index

thomas hass
on Nov 3, 2014 at 1:49:00 am

Sir,

I have the UDF driver installed and its both write / read.

So i record and edit both in DV and HD format - both formats in UDF/MXF modes, but perhaps i have missed a few info down the line, so please forgive me if thats the case.

1) Can i write files back to the SxS card in both FAT and UDF formats?
2) Can i write to the SxS card via Firewire and USB?
3) Can i write back to SxS cards both in the camera and to the card connected to a reader?

best case scenario for us news guys, is if its possible to do as it was in the PDW700 camera, as MXF / UDF formats, but i am really confused here and have problems figuring it out.

i hope to hear great news reg this issue

thanks
thomas

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Nov 3, 2014 at 3:52:36 pm

No, you can't mix UDF and FAT formats on the same card..

You can write back to the card via USB (Camera or reader) or Express Card slot. No Firewire...

Hope this helps..

Return to posts index

thomas hass
Re: wrap files to mov - Sony PMW-500 and sxs card udf formatted in Windows
on Nov 3, 2014 at 9:00:09 pm

Ian - that's great news:), but how? I have tried numerous ways, but when I try the write back, the UDF/MXF are not able to play in the camera?
I am at a loss of words here....

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: wrap files to mov - Sony PMW-500 and sxs card udf formatted in Windows
on Nov 3, 2014 at 9:27:23 pm

First thing is to make sure you are writing back a compliant file, for example an XDCAM HD 422 50 Mb .mxf with 8 channels of 24 bit audio. Avid, FCP and Premiere all support this.

Next thing is to make sure it goes to the /CLIP folder. If it's an .mp4 (only Premiere and FCP can write .mp4 wrapped EX clips back to media) it goes on the root of BPAV/CLPR.

Finally you need to update the card in the camera to register the file and generate a thumbnail. This is usually under Others-->Clip-->UPDATE in the camera menu.

You can also use our Content Browser application to manually import any compliant .mxf/.mp4 file to SxS. If you do it this way you do not have to do the Update as Content Browser takes care of all the housekeeping.

Return to posts index

thomas hass
on Nov 4, 2014 at 2:17:12 am

Dear Ian,

I thank you VERY MUCH. I have had my time of serious frustrations as to how this worked. I have (probably for the first time ever) read a manual (PMW500) but nowhere did it explain that you had to 'update the clip'. I have also searched various forums many times over the past few month after i got the camera, without luck.
So to come across you who just had THE answer…. thank you so very much.

kindly,

Thomas

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Nov 4, 2014 at 3:32:25 pm

Admittedly the manual's explanation of the 'update' function is a bit vague... Happy to help out. Cheers and good luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]