FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating a XDcam disc without an NLE

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Barata
Creating a XDcam disc without an NLE
on Jun 12, 2014 at 4:10:39 am

Hi All,

I send my show out to get closed captioned and then I get a mxf file back to me that I need to put on a disc and send to the broadcaster. I don't want to go through FCP or Avid because I'm afraid to mess up the CC. I think this is the best way to do it but I haven't seen much info on the web on how to properly create an xdcam disc without going through a NLE. I am using a PDW-U1 to create the disc. What is the best workflow to get this done?

Any help is much appreciated

Cheers,

John

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: Creating a XDcam disc without an NLE
on Jun 12, 2014 at 4:50:06 pm

you can copy the high-res .mxf to the /CLIP folder. this will create the proxy and XML files and everything else you need to have a valid, playable XDCAM disc. there is nothing special about the process of putting the file on the disc. just make sure you have the U1 driver installed so you can access the /CLIP directory. if the file has captions embedded in the .mxf they will not be touched. what you DO need to be careful about is the 'Data Item Out' setting of the drive. this is accessible via the bundled utility software that gets installed with the driver. if 'Data Item Out' is set to OFF the VANC metadata will be muted if the file is copied from the disc later.

after you copy the file to disc you can check for the presence of captions in the index.xml file (on the root of the disc). look for the entry for the clip you copied. toward the end of that entry you'll see a line that reads 'RT Meta = Basic' or 'RT Meta = S436M'. 'RT Meta' stands for 'Real Time Metadata' and refers to anything that is updated frame by frame, as opposed to 'non real time metadata' like comments and clip flags. if it says 'basic' there is no VANC metadata. if it says 'S436M' (after SMPTE 436M) this tells us there is a VANC data track and that your captions are likely intact (as long as they were encoded correctly).

Return to posts index

John Barata
on Jun 12, 2014 at 5:06:53 pm

Thanks for the info ian. i just tried to email you actually and got a bounce back.

I did what you said in your post but I get a error “Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “ProAm_E02_CC.mxf” cannot be written.

Last week I was able to drop the show into the clip folder no problem. I have also dropped the non cc .mxf and it went to disc alright as well. I did however update my driver to 2.6 today.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jun 12, 2014 at 5:12:48 pm

it's ian dot cook at am dot sony dot com.

if the file is getting rejected it may be for other reasons. check that free naming is enabled in the utilty and make sure you aren't mixing rec formats unless 'mixed recording' is enabled (also in the utility). ideally it is an HD422 50 Mb XDCAM file with 8 channels of 24 bit audio. if it has 16 bit audio in an HD422 file it will be rejected.

Return to posts index

John Barata
on Jun 12, 2014 at 5:20:29 pm

The broadcaster wants only stereo audio. Does it make a difference if it is only 2 tracks of audio? I think I did see somewhere when I was looking at the cc.mxf that it had 16bit audio even though I'm pretty sure I exported 24 bit. I'll check with my captioning people to see if something went wrong there.Free nameing was checked and the timeline was a xdcam 1080 60i timeline so I can't see it being mixed formats

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jun 12, 2014 at 5:21:32 pm

i believe the driver will pad the extra tracks but it must be mono/24. 16 will be rejected.

Return to posts index

John Barata
on Jun 12, 2014 at 6:21:41 pm

Is there a way to stop the y1 from adding the extra audio channels? The station wasn't to happy when they saw more than 2 channels.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jun 12, 2014 at 6:30:40 pm

no, the format specification calls for 8 channels. they should be aware of this if they are requesting an XDCAM file. it is easy enough to disable the unused stems from being included when working in the timeline.

Return to posts index

John Barata
on Jun 13, 2014 at 2:47:38 pm

I just recieved the new file and I have built the disc. Here is what is says for metadaTA IN THE INDEX FILE

With that I believe I'm good to go correct?

Return to posts index

John Barata
on Jun 13, 2014 at 3:32:04 pm

Obviously not all the info was in that last post below is what is in the index

rtmeta file="C5000R01.BIM" header="65536" type="s436m_anc512"

I'm good?

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Jun 13, 2014 at 3:41:43 pm

well-done.. yes, you either have correct captions mapped to the VANC area per SMPTE 436M or something else doing a pretty good job masquerading as captions. do you have a CC decoder to check the files on playback? if you have a short file you'd like us to upload and have us test let me know. again, if you pull any captioned files from the U1/U2 make sure 'Data Item Out' is enabled in the drive utility.

Return to posts index

John Barata
on Jun 13, 2014 at 3:58:37 pm

I did have Data Item out selected and that index was off of the xdcam disc that I created with the U1 so I should be good to go. I don't have any decoder nor I do I have a file below 13GB so I'll have to trust that these are right. Thank you so much for all your help on this.

Return to posts index

thomas saron
on Jan 26, 2016 at 2:23:11 pm

I am experiencing a similar problem: “Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “test.mxf” cannot be written."

I exported an 8ch / 24 bit MXF OP1a-/XDCAMHD 50 (4.2.2)-File with Premiere and checked Free Naming and prohibit mixed recording.

What went wrong? MacOS 10.8.5/CC2014

For German TV I need to follow these rules:

There must be a technical leader and trailer as a separate file on the disc.

The file of the actual contribution must begin with TC 10: 00: 00: 00!

File 1: biasing at least 10 seconds with a continuous timecode to 09:59: 59.24.
- HOW do I create such a File?

File 2: Film Start with TC 10: 00: 00: 00

File 3: trailer with 30 sec black screen with continuous TC after last frame
- HOW do I create such a File?

Thank you very much!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]