Problem with U1 on Mavericks

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Helgi Thor
Problem with U1 on Mavericks
on Feb 17, 2014 at 10:04:47 pm

I'm suddenly unable to record to my PDW-U1, it gives an error every time:

'Error writing MXF file (while checking successful write())'

doesn't matter if I try directly from Final Cut 7 or via the Finder (MXF exported from FCP7).
This is on MacOS 10.9.1, driver version 4.0.4 and firmware 2.540 and I've tried on two different computers, same results.

I believe it started after the last firmware update, though I'm not 100% sure it started right after the update.

I can boot in another partition with OS 10.7.5 Lion, driver version 3.2.0, where everything works fine.
In the Drive Utility in Lion the firmware shows Current Version 2.540 and Updated Version 2.500, but in Mavericks they both show as 2.540.

Any ideas?

--
Helgi Thor
Editor
Fortaleza
Brazil

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: Problem with U1 on Mavericks
on Feb 18, 2014 at 3:21:30 pm

Are you able to write the file locally and then manually copy to the /clip folder on the disc? That error indicates a non-compliant file and a failure to finalize the write during the final check of the data.

Are you using the updated Exporter plugin (supplied with Content Browser v 2)?

Ian Cook
Sony Broadcast and Professional Services

Return to posts index

Helgi Thor
on Feb 18, 2014 at 3:55:09 pm

I can write the file locally but I can't manually copy it on the disc. I get an error:

The Finder can't complete the operation because some data in "FILENAME.MXF" can't be read or written.
(Error code -36)

I can however boot into Lion and copy the same file to the disc.

Isn't the Exporter plugin with Content Browser for Final Cut X only? I'm using FCP7 to write to discs, but I guess I could try X as well. I found it be a bit of a hassle to get it right.

--
Helgi Thor
Editor
Fortaleza
Brazil

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Feb 18, 2014 at 3:56:41 pm

Ok, if this keeps up I'd like to see a short sample file if that's possible.

The updated exporter can be used with X but supports both X and 7. You do not have to change your workflow at all.

Return to posts index

Helgi Thor
on Feb 18, 2014 at 4:16:48 pm

Here's a test file in SD, IMX NTSC:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2483234/xdcam/IMX%20NTSC%2050.MXF

and HD:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2483234/xdcam/XDCAM%20HD422%201080i60.M...

--
Helgi Thor
Editor
Fortaleza
Brazil

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Feb 18, 2014 at 4:18:32 pm

ok, will check these out. any luck with the updated exporter?

Return to posts index

Helgi Thor
on Feb 18, 2014 at 4:37:20 pm

Yes, I managed to write to the disc from Final Cut 7, using File>Export>Sony Content Browser. Thank you.

So does it mean that the 2.540 firmware is incompatible with the old Log and Transfer plugin 1.2.0?

--
Helgi Thor
Editor
Fortaleza
Brazil

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Feb 18, 2014 at 5:47:05 pm

The compatibility issue is between the new U1 driver and the older exporter. The newer version of the exporter fixes this. Ingest should not be affected but keep in mind that the only import plugin officially supported is Content Browser (though XDCAM Transfer continues to work under Mavericks, albeit without official support)

Return to posts index

Helgi Thor
on Feb 20, 2014 at 8:40:14 pm

Thanks for your help, Ian.

Well I much prefer to use XDCAM Transfer than the Content Browser, but it looks like I should be getting use to it.
I attempted to open the CB and it's asking for a serial number. I'm pretty sure I used it a little on my previous Lion install, but now I can't find the SN. Been looking for it at the unit and install disk, but no go. Any hint as where it's supposed to be?

--
Helgi Thor
Editor
Fortaleza
Brazil

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Feb 20, 2014 at 8:46:06 pm

The serial number ships on a document with the cameras or comes in an email from Sony. If you already activated a serial # you should have one activation left. Otherwise you can purchase one. We still keep Browser 1,1 (no serial requirement) around but it's not qualified for Mavericks.

Return to posts index

Helgi Thor
on Feb 20, 2014 at 9:49:08 pm

And email it was :-) Thank you very much.

--
Helgi Thor
Editor
Fortaleza
Brazil

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]