FORUMS: list search recent posts

exporting to XDCAM bypassing FCP

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcos Horacio
exporting to XDCAM bypassing FCP
on Nov 7, 2013 at 11:42:34 pm

Hi everyone,
My computer (MacPro) has some serious issues and I can't use it. I was able to move the XDCAM drive (PDW-U2) to another station, copy the MXF files I was able to create but there's no FCP 7 running on it.

The question is: can I use Sony's content browser to export to a XDCAM disk, bypassing my NLE altogether? How do I do it?

Thanks a lot!

Mac Pro
3.33Hhz 6-Core Intel
12GB RAM
FCP Studio 2
AE / PS / AI CS6

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: exporting to XDCAM bypassing FCP
on Nov 8, 2013 at 12:20:50 am

If all you need to do is move XDCAM .mxf files to it just install the driver and use Browser to drag and drop to the U2

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/xdcamdrive

Return to posts index

Marcos Horacio
on Nov 8, 2013 at 12:40:21 am

Thanks for the response, Ian. But for some reason, although I can see the the mxf file on the desktop, it doesn't show on the tree view of my content browser. I see the folder where it is but I can't see the file. Therefore, I can't drag and drop it.

Any suggestion?

Mac Pro
3.33Hhz 6-Core Intel
12GB RAM
FCP Studio 2
AE / PS / AI CS6

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Nov 8, 2013 at 12:48:16 am

Browser will only see a standalone XDCAM file if it is part of a disc image with all the correct directories. You can easily create this structure OR you can drag and drop the file directly to the Clip folder using Finder. If it's a legal XDCAM file and matches the frame rate/frame frequency of existing clips on the disc, this will work.

To create a disc image:

1. create a new folder on your system
2. highlight this folder in one of Content Browser's Explorer/Navigation windows
3. File-->Import-->navigate to the .mxf file

This will embed the .mxf file in a proper disc image so you can see it within CB.

In the event you just want to play/QC the file you can also drop it onto CB's preview monitor window and it will play.

Return to posts index

Marcos Horacio
on Nov 8, 2013 at 2:05:16 am

Thanks again, Ian. I just tried doing it with 2 different files and I got this message: PDW U2 SN: XXXXXX CANCELLATION OR ERROR MIGHT HAVE OCCURRED WHEN WRITING....

Ouch! Any other advice?

Thanks again!

Mac Pro
3.33Hhz 6-Core Intel
12GB RAM
FCP Studio 2
AE / PS / AI CS6

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Nov 8, 2013 at 3:33:36 pm

You have the latest driver installed and are copying to the CLIP folder? (NOT the CLPR folder)

Return to posts index

John Barata
on Jun 12, 2014 at 12:29:31 am

How did this work out for you? I am in the same boat but with a U1. I send my show out to get closed captioned and then I get a mxf file back to me that I need to put on a disc and send to the broadcaster. I don't want to go through FCP or Avid because I'm afraid to mess up the CC. I think this is the best way to do it but I haven't seen much info on the web on how to properly create an xdcam disc without going through a NLE.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]