FORUMS: list search recent posts

PDW800 HD-SDI output and AJA KiPro Quad

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Kynaston
PDW800 HD-SDI output and AJA KiPro Quad
on Oct 8, 2013 at 1:01:31 pm

Guys,
Although i've been reading CreativeCow for a few months, im new to posting, so apologies if get anything wrong!

I've searched through the posts and found a few queries about 10-bit output from HD-SDI ports, but I have a query, specifically regarding the Sony PDW800.

I'm currently filming with a Sony EX3 - it was what I could afford when i purchased it, but I have a desire to film everything in the highest quality that I can do, so that it opens the options for reusing footage in the future. A friend of mine has given me the option to buy his PDW800 XDCAM, which appeals in a number of respects. My thought is to dock it with one the AJA KiPro Quad recorders, and record to ProRes422 on SSD drives.

My query being, although I gather the PDW800 is an 8-bit recorder, can anyone tell me if the HD-SDI output for the live vision (ie not recorded playback) is 10-bit?

Has anyone any experience/thoughts on runing the PDW800 and KiProQuad? I did look at the Mini version, but I'm hopless with CF cards - and as a lot of my filming is spent outside in the field, I thought the SSD drives may stand up better, and potentially have a faster download.

Of course the other option may be a Blackmagic HyperDeck Shuttle?

Any for/against comments or insight would be welcome.

Thanks, in advance, for your time.

Richard

Return to posts index

Brad Serreno
Re: PDW800 HD-SDI output and AJA KiPro Quad
on Oct 9, 2013 at 2:32:06 pm

Not sure what the amount the person is selling you the F800 for.

But you may just want to keep it simplified and buy a Sony F5. You can record 10bit SR or even 10bit XAVC straight on to SxS cards in camera. Compact design for field work, No I am not a Sony Rep.

Thank You!
Brad Serreno

Return to posts index

Richard Kynaston
Re: PDW800 HD-SDI output and AJA KiPro Quad
on Oct 9, 2013 at 6:43:42 pm

Hi Brad,
Thanks, I must admit, its an option I hadn't thought about. My friend whose selling the PDW800 is retiring, although the camera is only 12-18 months old and hasn't seen a huge amount of use.

An F5 would be wonderful as I could record everything in 2K XAVC and just down convert it in editing, but the majority of my filming is run-and-gun ENG style, so it would need something like a Fuji Cabrio 19-90 lens, as powered zoom is a must, and I fear that would push the budget well out of the way! The PDW800 is complete with a lens that works for what i do.

So yes, like the idea, but from a finance point of view, I think the PDW800 with a BM HyperDeck or AJA KiPro Quad/Mini will be cheaper.

Cheers
Richard

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]