FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony F-800 and Pix 240

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Linstrom
Sony F-800 and Pix 240
on Aug 21, 2013 at 10:12:29 pm

Does anyone here have experience using the Pics 240 with the Sony F-800?
I'm curios about the best way to mount this onto the camera, proper wiring, powering, etc.

Thanks
Dave Linstrom
LA based DP

Return to posts index

Dale West
Re: Sony F-800 and Pix 240
on Aug 21, 2013 at 11:46:46 pm

Dave,
Ive been using my pix with the 800 for a few months. The mount is the tough part. I use a Noga arm and 2 Cine locks and hang it from the back of the camera handle. Its not perfect but it does work. As for power I have d-taps on my Anton Bauer gold mount and power from that. If you give me your email off list I can send you some pictures that NBA-E uses for their mounts. As for wiring I made a few short BNCs and they work very well. I usually send the output of the pix to a monitor with assorted info on the screen. My clients especially like the time code showing.

best

dale@dalewestvideo.tv

Dale West Video
North Miami, FL
305-588-2683
dale@dalewestvideo.tv

Return to posts index

Richard Kynaston
on Oct 9, 2013 at 6:46:33 pm

Hi Dale,
Im looking at a similar option (although was looking at a AJA KiPro or BM Hyperdeck) but how do find the Pix240 affects your battery life of the Anton Bauers?

Regards
Richard

Return to posts index

David Linstrom
on Oct 9, 2013 at 8:27:08 pm

Hi Richard,
Not sure how the Pix 240 is working out for Dale but I'll offer up my experience: it's very power hungry. We ended up using two batteries, one for the F800 and one for the Pix 240. The Pix doesn't save the recording if the power goes out, so you have to be very careful to make sure it doesn't crash. We lost one long take but it was backed up on the f800. It's also heavy ( I believe 2 pounds). With a second battery that's almost 3 pounds added to a hand held rig.
Pros are nice buttons for the user menu and a fan to keep it cool. Also has HDMI in and out.

We switched to the Atomos Samurai Blade which also records Apple ProRes HQ 10bit 4:2:2. It has its own issues: sometimes it won't record when it gets hot. I just switch the SSD when this happens. I also pull the SSD while I'm lighting an interview and load it just before we roll. And the Atomos draws .6 watts and weighs a lot less.
Hope this helps
Best
David

dlinstrom

Return to posts index

David Linstrom
on Oct 10, 2013 at 12:39:30 am

6 watts not .6

Return to posts index

Richard Kynaston
on Oct 11, 2013 at 4:02:38 pm

Hi David,
Thanks for that. If you don't mind me asking, what camera and batteries are you using? Did you find mounting the iPix240 was an easy task, or did it unbalance the camera at all?

I've used SoundDevices sound recorders before and always liked the build quality, but id not looked too much at the iPix as I just need a recorder, rather than a monitor as well.

Regards
Richard

Return to posts index

David Linstrom
on Oct 11, 2013 at 5:14:07 pm

I'm using a Sony F-800 with Anton Bauer Dionic batteries.
90's and HC's. I mount the Samurai Blade with a universal arm. Barely know that it's there. The camera triggers the record. So far so good.
I like the Pix 240. It's a sturdier build and the fan keeps it cool, but again it's heavier and power hungry.

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Feb 13, 2014 at 10:52:04 pm

Eldekrone make a very nice monitor bracket designed to mount a VF on a DSLR or similar. I've just bought one to mount a TV logic to a C300. Might work for Pix 240 .

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]