FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony XDCAM backup

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM Optical Disc & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kathryn ward
Sony XDCAM backup
on May 13, 2013 at 3:35:17 pm

Hi,

There is probably a very simple answer to this question. However I want to do this correctly so help would be greatly appreciated.

Footage has been shot on a Sony XDCAM 700 and I need to send all the raw footage overseas on a hard drive uncompressed. What is the best way to copy all the files over from the disk. Can I bypass final cut pro and copy all disk information from XDCAM transfer?

Thanks, much appreciated

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
Re: Sony XDCAM backup
on May 13, 2013 at 4:26:42 pm

You can do this in a couple of different ways.

The best and safest way would be to use Content Browser to copy to a new location. Control click on the disc-->Copy All-->Select folder. Before doing this turn on CRC verification on the preferences/options.

You can also do it from within Transfer by highlighting all the clips, right-clicking and select Export-->Clips to Folder. This will copy the MXFs to a folder you select. The Browser option is better because it creates an intact disc archive with all the related proxies, XMLs and metadata.

Last and least-recommended option is to copy the disc using Mac OS Finder by dragging all the folders to a new folder on your drive. This is generally safe but there is no verification of the copied data as there is with Content Browser.

Note that if you have ShotPut Pro it can also do a verified backup of an XDCAM disc.

Return to posts index

kathryn ward
on May 13, 2013 at 4:36:12 pm

Hi Ian,

Thanks so much for the advice! So its best to copy the disk as is with all the MXF's, proxies, XMLs and metadata, instead of coverting them to .movs. I had some advice from another cameraman and he said that he converted all his clips to .movs through XDCAM transfer. I felt nervous about doing it this way as I didnt want to lose any information for the editors on the other end. Will they be easily able to import into an editing program with the workflow you have advised me.

Thanks,
Kathryn

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on May 13, 2013 at 4:54:41 pm

you can use the Transfer-generated .movs if they are editing in FCP but it's usually better to send the MXF files and a proper archive.

Return to posts index

kathryn ward
on May 13, 2013 at 4:59:45 pm

Great, thankyou so much Ian

Return to posts index

Burk Finley
on Oct 9, 2013 at 11:46:14 am

Hey gents,

I'm working on a set right now and have backed up my XDCAM discs shooting HD422 to an OWC RAID using Shotput Pro. The transfer is fine but the trouble is the latest version of Content Browser won't recognize the transfer I made -- though it does recognize the original disc when I mount it to my Mac desktop using the PDW-U2 USB 3 reader.

I've turned off "save logs and MD5 checksum files with offload" to keep the file structure from being corrupted or altered from the original XDCAM disc.

Any suggestions? If Content Browser won't see it, will Avid? Is it just a Sony software glitch?

I'd rather not backup with Content Browser as it takes a looooong time.

Thanks,

Burk
Shotput Pro v 5.1.0
Content Browser v 2.2 (tried with 2.1 as well)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]